Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Identifying Internal Problem

This is a discussion on Identifying Internal Problem within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have an NTE-5 already, in fact it's an XTE-2005. Up until this week I was under the impression the ...

steveb255 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glossop
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Identifying Internal Problem

I have an NTE-5 already, in fact it's an XTE-2005.

Up until this week I was under the impression the external line came into the house, directly to the XTE-2005 and the extension sockets were then wired from there. Whilst troubleshooting this latest speed problem I removed the outside cover where the line comes in from the ground and its clear that the extension is crimped directly on the outside.

I'm assuming this is because the main socket is located on an internal wall and would be difficult to route additional extension cables.

Either way, I need to modify the external crimping - either to remove the extension and try to do as you suggest or to re-cable from the outside extension.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have an NTE-5 already, in fact it's an XTE-2005.
      Sorry I understood the XTE was connected to the other line coming into your house and you were connecting to a XTF. Either way if you are keeping it as it is, you will need an NTE5 on both lines. That is if I am understanding you correctly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steveb255 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glossop
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

There's only one line coming into the house, the line comes from the ground by the front door and is covered by a couple of of grey plastic BT covers screwed to the wall. Taking the covers off shows there are 3 cables - the (black) BT line coming from the ground, a (black) cable which goes round the outside of the house now to an (XTF) extension socket upstairs and the third (white) cable goes through the outside wall into the hallway of the house to an XTE-2005.

Each of the 3 cables are crimped together outside of the house.

It could well be my mis-understanding of the cabling which is confusing matters as I am no expert in telephone wiring (as you've no doubt guessed) but to me it looks like the extension cable is coming directly off the BT line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

but to me it looks like the extension cable is coming directly off the BT line.
      That is why I suggest it should terminate in an NTE not an XTF. Maybe Dave from Runitdirect will come in and comment, his knowledge of this is far greater than mine.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Could you post up a pic of the junction box? What you ideally want is the external line from BT connecting directly to the NTE5 fitted with the XTE. The extension then wires off the A & B connection on the ADSL faceplate & connects to the other pre filtered faceplate you have. Would it be possible to move the NTE5 location to do this? If not what you should be able to do is use the spare pair in the white cable that goes to the NTE5, you would connect this pair to A & B on the XTE, then gel crimp this pair to the pair in the cable that goes to the other socket (the other black cable).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12