Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How am I able to use splitter in micro filter?

This is a discussion on How am I able to use splitter in micro filter? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Basically, my router is located up stairs and my house phone is located down stairs in the living room, we ...

rossikool is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How am I able to use splitter in micro filter?

Basically, my router is located up stairs and my house phone is located down stairs in the living room, we have a two way cable splitter that is plugged directly into the master socket.

The house phone has crackling on the long and the reason for this is because there is no micro filter on the master socket and also the broad band speed is very low. So I was told by sky to put a micro filter directly into the master socket then plug the splitter into that, then plug the wires back into the splitter.

Well I have done that, but the problem is the house phone cracking has gone but the Internet won't work at all as the connection is showing no there on the router. So I tried a different micro filter but still the problem is still there. So I unplugged the micro filter and put the splitter back into the master socket on its own and the Internet is fine but the cracking is back on the phone.

so my question is how do I get a splitter to work in a micro filter so is there some special connection for this, or can it not be done as it confuses the connection, hence the Internet not working.

Please don't say put the router down stairs because I don't want to do that, as surely there is away to get both cables working in a splitter that is also can be plugged in a micro filter.

cheers

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: How am I able to use splitter in micro filter?

Quote Originally Posted by rossikool View Post
      Basically, my router is located up stairs and my house phone is located down stairs in the living room, we have a two way cable splitter that is plugged directly into the master socket.

The house phone has crackling on the long and the reason for this is because there is no micro filter on the master socket and also the broad band speed is very low. So I was told by sky to put a micro filter directly into the master socket then plug the splitter into that, then plug the wires back into the splitter.

Well I have done that, but the problem is the house phone cracking has gone but the Internet won't work at all as the connection is showing no there on the router. So I tried a different micro filter but still the problem is still there. So I unplugged the micro filter and put the splitter back into the master socket on its own and the Internet is fine but the cracking is back on the phone.

so my question is how do I get a splitter to work in a micro filter so is there some special connection for this, or can it not be done as it confuses the connection, hence the Internet not working.

Please don't say put the router down stairs because I don't want to do that, as surely there is away to get both cables working in a splitter that is also can be plugged in a micro filter.

cheers
      My master socket is upstairs too.

So, in my setup I have at master socket: a filter, then ADSL output is into the router, the phone output has a splitter plugged into it, into the splitter is plugged 1. an extension cable to the Sky box downstairs, 2. my phone's cable and 3. an extension to the upstairs Sky box. The phone works when plugged into the downstairs extension too (which we used to do but we prefer to have it upstairs as there is a lack of power points downstairs).

Is this the way you have tried it?

I suspect you are putting the router into the non-ADSL side of the filter but it isn't clear from your post.
      Last edited by bubblegun; 30-07-13 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Exchange:
      Thanks

My master socket is down stairs...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You would be far better off putting your router beside the Master socket. It is also a very bad idea to plug the router into a telephone extension cable. It will almost certainly suffer from interference and reduce your speed. Instead of running a telephone extension cable up stairs to service the router, plug the router into the filter in the master socket and replace the existing telephone cable with an ethernet cable. These can be purchased in the length you require and is not expensive.

As pointed out, the side of the micro filter for the phone is the filtered side and does not carry the broadband signal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rossikool View Post
      My master socket is down stairs...
      oops. my mistake. (i really should read posts properly!)

You should put the router downstairs as close to the master as possible. If you need to run an extension upstairs then you should use ethernet (to a switch if you need multiple connections up there) or powerline adapters.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'm sure this posting will provoke responses not to do it this way as none of this is good practice but try:
      1. Splitter into master socket.
      2. Microfilter into splitter.
      3. Phone into microfilter.
      4. Extension lead going upstairs from second outlet on splitter.
      5. Second microfilter into extension lead.
      6. ADSL cable from second microfilter to router.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      I'm sure this posting will provoke responses not to do it this way as none of this is good practice but try:
      1. Splitter into master socket.
      2. Microfilter into splitter.
      3. Phone into microfilter.
      4. Extension lead going upstairs from second outlet on splitter.
      5. Second microfilter into extension lead.
      6. ADSL cable from second microfilter to router.
      I wouldn't run it this way permanently but it would troubleshoot the problem without buying extra kit.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I will still suffer with slow Internet though won't I if I use splitter for Internet in the master socket, anyone got a link to an Ethernet cable ffor phone line please ?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Probably best to use a standard Cat 5e patch lead with converters: RJ11 Male to RJ45 Female Converter as I don't think that ready made leads would be sold in suitable lengths.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Probably best to use a standard Cat 5e patch lead with converters: RJ11 Male to RJ45 Female Converter as I don't think that ready made leads would be sold in suitable lengths.
      Ahhhh that looks better, so the white normal cable would fit into the other end so I can use the whole of the micro filter for both the phone and Internet. Also forgot to mension, when somebody pics the phone up and also I think when I rings the Internet loses connection altogether, then when the lone has been put down the Internet reconnects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast