Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How am I able to use splitter in micro filter?

This is a discussion on How am I able to use splitter in micro filter? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by rossikool Ahhhh that looks better, so the white normal cable would fit into the other end so ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: How am I able to use splitter in micro filter?

Quote Originally Posted by rossikool View Post
      Ahhhh that looks better, so the white normal cable would fit into the other end so I can use the whole of the micro filter for both the phone and Internet. Also forgot to mension, when somebody pics the phone up and also I think when I rings the Internet loses connection altogether, then when the lone has been put down the Internet reconnects.
      There could be a problem with your phone line. Try plugging a microfilter directly into the test socket on your master socket and plug in a phone and your router. Wait for the internet light to illuminate on your router then make a phone call. If the internet light stays on then your phone line is probably OK though it wouldn't hurt to do a quiet line test. If the internet light goes out repeat the test with a different microfilter. If the internet light still goes out then you have almost certainly got a high resistance line which to you should report to Sky Talk.

2. Advertisement
      rossikool is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      There could be a problem with your phone line. Try plugging a microfilter directly into the test socket on your master socket and plug in a phone and your router. Wait for the internet light to illuminate on your router then make a phone call. If the internet light stays on then your phone line is probably OK though it wouldn't hurt to do a quiet line test. If the internet light goes out repeat the test with a different microfilter. If the internet light still goes out then you have almost certainly got a high resistance line which to you should report to Sky Talk.
      Ahh right I will try that tomorrow, will it be bts fault if an engineer need to some and fix as I have heard how much they charge.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If the fault is before the test socket then it is BTO's or Sky's fault. I hardly think it likely that you would have two defective microfilters. Sky will do some checks on the line from their end before booking an engineer. Have your mobile with you when you call Sky so that they can call you back on it while they are running line tests.

edit:
      Just saw your post in another thread where you state that you don't have an NTE5 master socket. All I can advise is to plug directly into the master socket and ensure that there isn't anything plugged into any extension sockets but without a test socket it is difficult to be conclusive that the fault doesn't lie within the internal extension wiring.
      Last edited by seawright; 30-07-13 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Added extra info.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Seawrights setup will work. Extensions don't automatically mean slow internet, it depends on many factors. If you really must have the setup as it is now it would make sense to hardwire it all with decent cable. (either for an ADSL extension to upstairs or the better option would be to move the router & run Ethernet cable upstairs).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

rossikool is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Right wel so far so good, managed to plug the splitter directly into the master socket, the plug the Internet extension into the splitter then plug a micro filter into to the other side of the splitter. Then in the micro filter is the phone extension, no crackling on the phone line and the Internet is working okay and also on the plus side when using the phone now the Internet doesn't cut out.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What you could try is plugging the router on its own into the Master socket and take your stats from there. The result will show whether it is worthwhile making changes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rossikool View Post
      Basically, my router is located up stairs and my house phone is located down stairs in the living room, we have a two way cable splitter that is plugged directly into the master socket.

The house phone has crackling on the long and the reason for this is because there is no micro filter on the master socket and also the broad band speed is very low. So I was told by sky to put a micro filter directly into the master socket then plug the splitter into that, then plug the wires back into the splitter.

Well I have done that, but the problem is the house phone cracking has gone but the Internet won't work at all as the connection is showing no there on the router. So I tried a different micro filter but still the problem is still there. So I unplugged the micro filter and put the splitter back into the master socket on its own and the Internet is fine but the cracking is back on the phone.

so my question is how do I get a splitter to work in a micro filter so is there some special connection for this, or can it not be done as it confuses the connection, hence the Internet not working.

Please don't say put the router down stairs because I don't want to do that, as surely there is away to get both cables working in a splitter that is also can be plugged in a micro filter.

cheers
      LOL

I see u posted this on both forums.

How am I able to use splitter in a micro filter? - Cable Forum

Which forum has given the best answer?

You should filter the primary connection (master socket) then run the extension from there.
      Ideally you should put the router at the master socket and run an ethernet extension to the upstairs location as you will get less signal loss this way.

If you need phone upstairs too then you could run a telephone extension along with the ethernet or you could use these and something like these as long as you didn't want faster than 100Mb ethernet. (100Mb ethernet only uses 2 of the 4 twisted pairs in a Cat5 cable so you could run a telephone extension on the other pair(s) ).
      Last edited by bubblegun; 03-08-13 at 11:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12