Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice re fitting new master socket / DLM please

This is a discussion on Advice re fitting new master socket / DLM please within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on the following?... (sorry for the preamble!) We've ...

Plodderman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oxshott
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Advice re fitting new master socket / DLM please

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on the following?... (sorry for the preamble!)

We've recently (as of 1st July) swapped to Sky Broadband Unlimited from PlusNet since I realised our exchange finally (after years of waiting!) had some third parties in there, including Sky, and we were already with Sky for TV and Talk (including line rental). Anyway, went through the initial DLM period, connection speeds starting at ~4Mbps, then to ~7Mbps and ~8Mbps before settling down to ~6Mbps which I'm not too unhappy with as it's still marginally better than we had with PlusNet, at a cheaper price.

However it just struck me that I've never really tried out our master socket as everyone advises and so did just that this evening, using the test socket underneath the bottom part of the split faceplate (house built in 2004 so everything more or less up to date in terms of sockets etc. I guess?) Instantly there's a small improvement with the connection now at 7851kbps, line attenuation at 35dB (was 34.5dB before) and noise margin at 5.1dB. So, one thing I'm wondering is, does this sound like there might be more speed improvements to come? Is there a way I can restart the DLM process, or request it be restarted, or should it simply happen automatically? Or, does it sound like the connection has probably found it's new 'max' level on the master socket and I should just leave it all as is now? As I say, I'm not too unhappy because this now beats our previous connection with PlusNet for less cost but any speed improvements welcome of course, especially since the Oxshott exchange isn't even on the radar yet for FTTC according to the Openreach website.

My MAIN QUESTION though... As it happens our master socket is on one side of the lounge, but the wrong side for us. Everything network orientated is on the other side (where I did have the router plugged into an extension socket until this evening), including my wired network which I have nicely concealed in the wall there running up 2 floors to some NAS boxes and a couple of PCs in our home 'office'. I've checked out the front of our house in the eaves (same 2 floors above the lounge) where the telephone line comes into the house and the black cable there runs into a small white BT marked box (single screw on top) out of which comes a white cable, which presumably then runs down to the master socket etc. I'm thinking, what would really work for me would be if I had my master socket in the front eaves, immediately where the black cable comes in. That way I have minimal wiring distance to the master socket, can plug my SR101 in directly there (there's power up there already) and it will be far easier, and neater, for me to hook into my wired network from there rather than running a cable from one side of the lounge to the other. How easy/costly is it to get a new master socket fitted like this? In fact can it be done at all and if so, who do I call to do this? Is it BT/Openreach I need to contact or are there private contractors who can do this?

Thanks for any advice / suggestions anyone can offer (and sorry for being so longwinded in my question!)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Advice re fitting new master socket / DLM please

Whilst it is possible to move the Master Socket, this could be complicated by the fact that you have some telephone extension sockets.

Personally I would consider the following solution first provided that you have an NTE5 Master socket:

• Fit a VDSL filtered faceplate in the Master Socket
      • Plug you router in beside the Master Socket
      • Run a Cat 5e Ethernet cable from the router to where the router used to be
      • Get a 5-Port or 8-Port Ethernet Switch and place that where your router used to be

Personally I have something similar to this, with a 8-Port 1Gbit Switch in use (I actually have 3 at the moment). For me I have a little more flexibility now, but my router is in more-or-less the same position as for when I was on ADSL. The position is it in gives me the best WiFi coverage for my home.

The VDSL Filtered faceplate:
      BT vDSL NTE5 Filtered Faceplate|Interstitial Faceplate

NTE5 Socket:

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Advice re fitting new master socket / DLM please

At 7851kbps your speed is still low for your attenuation. You should be looking at 12Mb+. Can you check that when the faceplate is removed from the Master socket, all your other extension sockets are dead?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.