Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Help - phone not working but Internet is

This is a discussion on Help - phone not working but Internet is within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by bwfc0907 I'm just a little confused. Can you post a link to one of the sockets? Modern ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help - phone not working but Internet is

Quote Originally Posted by bwfc0907 View Post
      I'm just a little confused. Can you post a link to one of the sockets?
      Modern Openreach VDSL/ADSL2+ Faceplate Help Page

I can't run another wire due to the set up of the house so need the extensions so would a BTO VDSL faceplate be of any use?
      My suggestion to use a VDSL faceplate assumed (wrongly) that your router was plugged into the master socket which is recommended by all ISPs as it will give the best possible performance. The drop in performance close to the exchange with good internal wiring is likely to be minimal but on long lines or with poor internal wiring could represent a significant drop in speed. If positioning your router near the master socket would be unacceptable and you are happy with the speed you are getting then with the exception of disconnecting the orange wires from contacts 3 & 4 at the master socket I would leave everything else as it is.

2. Advertisement
      bwfc0907 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I can't run another wire due to the set up of the house so need the extensions
      You can use a spare pair of wires in your existing cable to connect to the unfiltered terminals in the faceplate. ie, You are not using the orange pair so use these to carry the broadband signal. You would connect to the AB terminals on the faceplate and use jellybean crimps in the 1st and second extension boxes to join the wires. At your third box you could just remove and insulate the existing blue wires and connect the orange wires to the 2 and 5 terminals. A filter would be required to connect the router and phone. Alternately, fix a filter faceplate for a pro finish. - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Jellybean crimps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bwfc0907 View Post
      Jellybean crimps?
      8A 2 Wire Jelly Crimp Connector (Pack of 20)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"At your third box you could just remove and insulate the existing blue wires and connect the orange wires to the 2 and 5 terminals."

I'm ok up to this part. Can you explain?

Would this mean I install the VDSL plate so I can completely seperate the 2 signals?

Why don't I need the orange wires for the ringer?

Thanks

This was Isitme's idea so perhaps I should leave him to explain but up to the point where he suggested fitting a VDSL faceplate I thought he meant removing the telephone connection from the third socket (blue wires) and using it as a way to connect your router remotely to the VDSL faceplate at the master socket. If your telephone uses the ring wire (some don't) this would result in your telephone not ringing when plugged into the other extension sockets, unless you used a microfilter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      This was Isitme's idea so perhaps I should leave him to explain but up to the point where he suggested fitting a VDSL faceplate I thought he meant removing the telephone connection from the third socket (blue wires) and using it as a way to connect your router remotely to the VDSL faceplate at the master socket. If your telephone uses the ring wire (some don't) this would result in your telephone not ringing when plugged into the other extension sockets, unless you used a microfilter.
      That's exactly what I mean. Unless you are using old phones or one of the very few modern ones which require a ring wire, there would be no problem. Its more common nowadays to use cordless phones and a base station, than have phones connected into all the extensions. As you say, if by some chance a phone which requires a ring wire, plugging it in via a micro filter will fix it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for that.

So connect VDSL master socket & presumably there's an extension connection for the blue wires that will run around the extension sockets?
      Orange wires to a different extension on the VDSL and then connect all orange wires together using connectors so I have 2 different sets of wires.
      In the socket where I connect the modem what do I do with the orange wires or do I need that split socket?
      Will I need filters on the socket I plug the phone in (socket 2) and could the phone still be plugged in to any socket if we move it?

Just making sure it's right in my head before I order the sockets.

Thanks

Just to clear things up a bit. The VDSL filter fits in between your existing faceplate and the back plate. Normally you would not need to change any wires on the faceplate, but as you are going to use the orange pair, these will be removed and connected to the 2 terminals on the VDSL plate. The existing faceplate stays put for use as a phone connection and an RJ11 port on the top part of the VDSL plate is available to plug in a router should you wish to do so. In the socket you intend using the router you need to remove the 2 blue wires from terminals 2 and 5 as you don't want these connected, they are replaced with the orange wires which you have connected to the VDSL faceplate.

All the phone boxes can be used to plug in a phone or a STB and no filter will be required except on the last one where you plug in your router. As mentioned, if the phone does not ring, unlikely, plug in a filter and the ring circuit in that will handle the ringing.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast