Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Help - phone not working but Internet is

This is a discussion on Help - phone not working but Internet is within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am using a micro filter...

bwfc0907 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help - phone not working but Internet is

I am using a micro filter

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've managed to now get working for master & first extension. However the orange cables spark when I put the second wire into the first box extension when orange wires touch. Should I just leave out o/w & w/o as phone still rings without?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You can leave off the Orange wire, you only need terminals 2 and 5 connected when using a microfilter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm up and running again with the phone as I worked through & worked out which way the cable ran.
      The problem I now have is my Internet speed has dropped from 11mb to 8mb even on main socket. I've contacted Sky & will see what they come back with.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It may be that with the problem with your line has resulted in your line speed being capped. As you have now resolved the problem and reported it to Sky they will probably re-run DLM to get the best speed for your line. Did your investigations reveal the cause of the problem?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

bwfc0907 (24-06-13)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The only thing I noticed was when reconnecting 2 O/W wires in the same socket I got an occasional spark. Is this normal?
      Is it worth removing all O/W & W/O from the extension sockets in each extension by just cutting them back? I have read they can cause issues with broadband?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bwfc0907 View Post
      The only thing I noticed was when reconnecting 2 O/W wires in the same socket I got an occasional spark. Is this normal?
      Is it worth removing all O/W & W/O from the extension sockets in each extension by just cutting them back? I have read they can cause issues with broadband?
      When working on a live circuit there is always the chance of getting a spark. For best BB speed it is always best to connect your router to the master socket. If this is your setup you only need to disconnect the orange wires at the master socket. An even better alternative is to fit a VDSL faceplate to the master socket. It will work perfectly well with ADSL, isolate your telephone wiring from your broadband and remove the requirement to use microfilters with all telephones.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My router is connected to the 3rd socket of the chain. I just tested in the master socket to ensure speed wasn't dropping. So do I need to remove any orange wires?
      Is the VDSL plate the openreach master socket? If I attached one of those would I still need an ADSL micro filter on the individual sockets the router & house phone are plugged in to?

Thanks

The BTO VDSL faceplate is an Interstitial plate that is sandwiched in between the front and back of a BT master socket. It completely separates the internal telephone wiring from the broadband wiring so that microfilters are not required at telephone sockets. It also removes the broadband signal from the telephone sockets preventing the router being connected to any socket other than the RJ11 socket on the VDSL faceplate.

If you want to keep the router plugged into the 3rd socket then leave everything as it is except remove/cut the orange wires from terminals 3 & 4 in the master socket. The microfilters will provide isolation at the extension sockets.

The BTO VDSL faceplate does have terminals to enable a separate cable to be run to your router if it cannot easily be located near the master socket.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      The BTO VDSL faceplate is an Interstitial plate that is sandwiched in between the front and back of a BT master socket. It completely separates the internal telephone wiring from the broadband wiring so that microfilters are not required at telephone sockets. It also removes the broadband signal from the telephone sockets preventing the router being connected to any socket other than the RJ11 socket on the VDSL faceplate.

If you want to keep the router plugged into the 3rd socket then leave everything as it is except remove/cut the orange wires from terminals 3 & 4 in the master socket. The microfilters will provide isolation at the extension sockets.

The BTO VDSL faceplate does have terminals to enable a separate cable to be run to your router if it cannot easily be located near the master socket.
      I'm just a little confused. Can you post a link to one of the sockets?

I can't run another wire due to the set up of the house so need the extensions so would a BTO VDSL faceplate be of any use?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post

I'm just a little confused. Can you post a link to one of the sockets?

I can't run another wire due to the set up of the house so need the extensions so would a BTO VDSL faceplate be of any use?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast