Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Any cabling experts, need a bit of help re future fibre installation

This is a discussion on Any cabling experts, need a bit of help re future fibre installation within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, New build house, 2009, with an external NTE. From reading around the net, Openreach may/may not swap your ...

Bossworld is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Any cabling experts, need a bit of help re future fibre installation

Hi all,

New build house, 2009, with an external NTE.

From reading around the net, Openreach may/may not swap your existing master, with the first extension it meets. Unfortunatley, after doing some digging around, the 'master' (remember, I'm on an external NTE), is 1 metre from the front door, nowhere near any power sockets, and the first extension (wires piggybacked into the first socket) goes to the master bedroom. I'm not prepared to have 20 metres of Cat5e tacked to a skirting board.

This morning, I've rewired it as I think it should be, and it's all working OK. The main 4 wires (2,3,4,5) connect to each other at the hallway socket and the first bedroom, going straight to the lounge. From the lounge, I've used the spare green and green/white from the back of 2 + 5, back to the first bedroom, and then in turn, back to the hallway socket. I'm assuming this is all Openreach would have done?

I just wanted to check two things:

1) Is it now correct, and will I be ok for fibre in the lounge?
      2) Should the two orange wires be swapped around? To me (and I could well be wrong), it appears the solid orange wire connected to 3 on the xNTE, is going into 4 in the lounge?

Diagram, before and after, plus a picture of how a socket was to try and clarify question 2.
      Before

After

Previous socket (in this example, bedroom, but the hallway was wired the same).

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Any cabling experts, need a bit of help re future fibre installation

The 2 active terminals are 2 and 5. Terminal 3 is for the ring circuit which is not required with modern phones and can be disconnected. The standard installation normally uses the blue/white and white/blue as the active wires. It seems to be the practise of BTO to bridge the XNTE when fibre is being installed, the first socket on the loop being fitted with an NTE5 with a filter plate. Provided the engineer is advised that the first socket is the one in your lounge and it passes any test he puts on it, it should be OK.
      Bossworld likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you, so using the green and green white to loop back from the lounge socket is ok at present then? I assume as part of the 'NTE5' you've mentioned, does that have additional terminals specifically for extensions?

Might disconnect 3 and 4 as per your info then. I was a bit confused at first as to whether I've got 2 and 5 the right way around on my internal sockets, I've kept the existing wiring pattern in either case, unfortunately there's no visible numbers on those internal sockets.
      Last edited by Bossworld; 19-05-13 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Optional.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The NTE5a line box has terminals on the front plate for extensions. 2 and 5 will be the 2 centre terminals on your plates.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Bossworld (19-05-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you,

Last one, in terms of polarity for 2 and 5, does it make a difference/can you tell if there's an issue?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

For normal telephones it will not make a difference. The polarity is reversed when the called party answers. This used to be used with pay on answer coin box telephones to unlock the coin slot. I don't know if modems and FAX machines make use of this feature.
      Last edited by seawright; 19-05-13 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      For normal telephones it will not make a difference. The polarity is reversed when the called party answers. This used to be used with pay on answer coin box telephones to unlock the coin slot. I don't know if modems and FAX machines make use of this feature.
      Many thanks to you both, plus that's a good bit of trivia!