Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Telephone extention options

This is a discussion on Telephone extention options within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I'm going to be fixing up a new (old) house I got, it needs a LOT of work. ...

penrosepeanut is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Telephone extention options

Hi guys,

I'm going to be fixing up a new (old) house I got, it needs a LOT of work. Anyway, I want to add 3 extentions to the master socket, but I am not sure what is the best way. I will be using Sky fibre for my internet access.

Option 1.

Master socket -----line from master to ext 1 ----->EXT1 ------ line from ext 1 to ext 2 ----->EXT2 ----line from ext2 to ext3---> EXT3

Option 2.

Master socket ---->Line from master to Phone host panel ----- cat5e patch cable -----> cat5e patch panel -----cat5e cable --->EXT1
      Cable from patch panel -----cat5e cable --->EXT2
      Cable from patch panel -----cat5e cable --->EXT3

As far as I know, with option 1, for every ext I add, it reduces the line quality, maybe wrong on that one.

With option 2, may cost a little more, but as I am adding a patch panel for my data network, I thought I would add telephone services too.

Any ideas? comments?

Thanks

Kevin

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Telephone extention options

I would go with option one but fit a VDSL faceplate to the master socket. That way you won't need microfilters at your extension sockets. Ensure that the master socket is wired so that removing the faceplate isolates all extension sockets from the incoming telephone cable ie. with the faceplate removed all extension sockets are dead and only the master socket's test socket can be used.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

With Sky Fibre you will have a filtered faceplate fitted (the VDSL Faceplate). This will split the signal at the Master Socket. The filtered faceplate fits between the main part of the NTE5 Master Socket and it's faceplate. If you do not have an NTE5 Master socket, then this will be fitted too.

All your extensions after that point will not affect the VDSL signal. The only potential signal degradation will be for the quality of the voice call, not broadband.

Since you are looking to feed the cable around your home, I would also suggest that you consider running Cat 5e cable at the same time for use as an Ethernet cable in the future. There are faceplates available for Ethernet, ensuring the result is a little tidier.

Edit: seawright got there first

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your reply. Looks like option1 is the way to go. I will add some cat5e for any future plans.

Thanks

Kevin

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Option 2! Seeing as you seem to be installing data cabling anyway this is 100% the way to go. You can easily patch the phone line over the CAT5e using our BT to RJ45 patch kits or a BT to RJ45 converter. I'm not sure what you meant by "phone host panel" but there really is no need for a separate panel on a small install. As above, as the broadband will be filtered you can add as many extensions as you like, this won't affect the speed at all. The most common method is option 1-daisy chaining, it's the cheapest but NOT the best way forward if you ever plan to move things around!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (03-04-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi runitdirect,

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Option 2! Seeing as you seem to be installing data cabling anyway this is 100% the way to go. You can easily patch the phone line over the CAT5e using our BT to RJ45 patch kits or a BT to RJ45 converter. I'm not sure what you meant by "phone host panel" but there really is no need for a separate panel on a small install. As above, as the broadband will be filtered you can add as many extensions as you like, this won't affect the speed at all. The most common method is option 1-daisy chaining, it's the cheapest but NOT the best way forward if you ever plan to move things around!!

So, for example, from the master BT master phone socket, I run a cat5e cable into the port 20 of the patch panel, connect a patch cable to port 20 on the switch. From patch panel port 21 I run a cat5e cable to the RJ45 wall plate where it terminates, then use a BT to RJ45 converter so I can connect the telephone.

Is that correct or have I misread what you mean.

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrosepeanut View Post
      Hi runitdirect,

So, for example, from the master BT master phone socket, I run a cat5e cable into the port 20 of the patch panel, connect a patch cable to port 20 on the switch. From patch panel port 21 I run a cat5e cable to the RJ45 wall plate where it terminates, then use a BT to RJ45 converter so I can connect the telephone.

Is that correct or have I misread what you mean.

Thanks
      No!! Don't connect the BT line to the switch, it doesn't work like that. If the BT socket is next to the patch panel(?) just use our BT to RJ45 Patch Kits to patch the BT line to the patch panel ports you want the line to be available on. The kit has BT to RJ45 patch leads that connect the line directly to the patch panel ports. If the BT socket is NOT next to the patch panel then you can do it a number of ways:-

(1) Install an extension so there is a BT socket next to the patch panel, use the kits as above
      (2) Terminate the BT line to the last socket on the patch panel, make sure this is labelled! Then, if you want to patch to just one location use a standard patch lead to jumper from the BT line RJ45 port & the port you want the line to be on, use a BT to RJ45 converter at the far end.
      (3) As above but to multiple locations, use an RJ45 quad adaptor to split the BT line to 4 RJ45 sockets, again use standard patch leads to jumper from this back to the patch panel. At the other end use BT to RJ45 converters.

The switch should only be connected to patch panel ports that require a data (Ethernet) connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi there,

Ok, I think I understand ok now. The BT master socket is located in the kitchen and the patch panel will be located directly above in a cupboard in the space room. So to make my life a little bit simplier, but I plan to buy a 12 port mini patch panel just for the phone system. So would this work:

1). Use BT to RJ45 patch cable to connect the BT master socket to a RJ45 faceplate located next to the BT master socket in the kitchen.
      2). Cat5e run from the kitchen faceplate to the last of the mini patch panel.
      3). Cat5e runs to each of the rooms where I want the phone extention. For example (PP = patch panel port) (PP1 run to front room, PP2 run to bedroom 1, PP3 run to bedroom 2 etc)
      4). Terminate those run into RG45 faceplate.
      5). Use RJ45 to BT converter, which connects the face plate to the phone.

Regards

Kevin

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

I fail to see the advantage of this system in residential applications. To me it sounds like using ethernet cables for telephone distribution is a hack. I could understand it in an office environment where it would save running two different classes of cabling so that the balance between IP devices and telephones could be changed to match the requirements at each desk, though in an office it would probably be better to use an IP telephone system anyway.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Advantages? You aren't tied to using one port for one service. As more & more devices become Ethernet ready it makes more sense to wire all locations with CAT5e or CAT6. Running separate telephone cabling is pointless, it can only ever be used for one service. If you are rewiring a house then do the job right & install a cabling system that can have voice, data & video run over it with ease. As for commercial environments, these have been flood wired for years & probably always will be. Sure there are many IP based systems available but most still require a dedicated outlet rather than daisy chaining off the back of an outlet already in use. To describe using CAT5 or CAT6 for anything other than data as a "hack" is pretty funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast