Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)

This is a discussion on Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!) within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, So I'm planning on getting Fibre and I read that everything must connect to the master socket. This led ...

wasabi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)

Hi,

So I'm planning on getting Fibre and I read that everything must connect to the master socket. This led me on a hunting mission to see where mine was. None of the faceplates have any BT marks, etc. Nothing has been changed when we moved in years ago.

Ground floor has x3 sockets. Kitchen, Living room and the front room and all have gold plated face plates. Upstairs sockets all look the same but are white. I've opened all ground floor sockets and one upstairs socket (one because it was easiest to get to. The rest have furniture in the way).

I've looked at various pictures of master sockets on the net and UK Telephone Wiring but all three of my ground floor sockets have that yellow battery looking thing.

I'm baffled! I've attached some pictures to show you what I mean. 1st & 3rd pictures are all ground floor. 2nd and 4th pictures are upstairs.

Cheers
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)-ground-phone-sockets.jpg   Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)-upstairs4-phone-socket.jpg   Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)-ground-face.jpg   Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)-upstairs-face.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)

It doesn't appear that any of your phone sockets were installed by a BT engineer as they would not have used sockets with screw terminals. As you rightly state all of the sockets downstairs are master sockets though only one should be. The kitchen socket is definitely not the master socket as it only has a single cable attached. The upstairs socket is an extension socket which looks as if the top two terminal screws are loose. It concerns me that at least two sockets have single cables attached but none have three cables (unless one of the inaccessible sockets does) leading me to think there may also be a telephone junction box somewhere. I would expect that the current wiring would have had a detrimental effect on your existing broadband (unless it's cable). Do you know where the telephone line enters your property and which is the closest socket to that point?

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Look outside to see where the wire from the pole meets the property (or comes out of the ground if a newer property) and see which point is closest.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I looked outside the whole house and there is no telephone pole. None of the external walls have a cable going into a socket except sky tv cable and aerial. House is about 20 years old and I think everything was done when the house was built. Also there are no boxes or cabinets outside or other pole looking things. I live in a cul de sac.

Thanks

In that case remove the faceplate from one of the sockets that has two cables connected and carefully remove the wires from terminal number two. If they are twisted together, separate them. Then in turn connect a telephone to all the other sockets which should be dead if the wire you disconnected was at the master socket.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I agree with Seawright's diagnosis, it does look like you have a junction somewhere. If this is after the master socket, then it will not matter much as it will be covered when a filtered faceplate is fitted. However it could cause problems if it is before the master socket, as without locating it it will not be possible to isolate it.

I would hazard a guess that the front room socket is your master, fed through a duct from the street. The main problem is that none of the cable showing looks like external cable, which you would expect to see in the master socket. It suggests that the external cable goes into a junction box and from there one cable feeds to the ground floor and another possibly to the upper floor. All you can do is test by trial and error disconnecting one wire at a time from the 2 or 5 terminals. Remember to test all the sockets as some being dead and others live could confirm the junction theory. At least as they are screwed connects you should be able to do this without difficulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      In that case remove the faceplate from one of the sockets that has two cables connected and carefully remove the wires from terminal number two. If they are twisted together, separate them. Then in turn connect a telephone to all the other sockets which should be dead if the wire you disconnected was at the master socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      ....All you can do is test by trial and error disconnecting one wire at a time from the 2 or 5 terminals. Remember to test all the sockets as some being dead and others live could confirm the junction theory. At least as they are screwed connects you should be able to do this without difficulty.
      Thank you for your replies but now I've more questions The above is the first time I've ever looked inside a telephone socket so I'm unsure what is what.

1- Sockets with 2 cables connected - The front room and kitchen? Not the kitchen right?
      2 - what do you mean by twisted together? Do you mean like the front room that looks like someone tidied up the bunch of wires? Or do you mean the smaller individual cables
      3 - where is terminal 2 and 5? Do I do this on both terminals or just terminal 2? Oh, I see in the pictures the number 2 with blue & white cable on the right hand side middle. Is that what you guys mean?

Is it just a matter of getting a screwdriver and losening the screws so wires on the terminal/s are free and then go round the whole house to see if there is a tone? And then shoving wires back in and tightening them after testing? For me this all seems a bit daunting but i'm willing to try....i'm not going to get electrical shocks etc am i??

Thanks

1. Sockets with 2 cables connected - The front room and Living room. Also upstairs but not the one in the picture.
      2. When you remove the wires from terminal 2 (or 5) if the bare ends are twisted together separate them before checking phone plugged into other sockets.
      3. Yes number is marked next to appropriate screw as shewn in your picture.
      4. Exactly. You are unlikely to get a shock unless you are touching the bare wire ends and someone is trying to call you at that instant. It wouldn't be dangerous but could make you jump so best not to be holding a hot cup of tea/coffee.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The kitchen and upstairs sockets have only one cable going into them. The others have two.

Twisted together means the individual wires, this is to make sure they are not still carrying even though they are out of the terminal.

All the terminals are numbered if you look closely. Terminals 2 and 5 are only ones required for the phone to work. The wires need only be removed from one of them to 'kill' the phone circuit.

Just loosen off the small screws, don't take them right out, they can be the devil to get back in again. Replace the wires after you have tested and re-tighten the screws. Although some say you may get a shock, you probably wont and if you do it will just be a tickle unless you are standing in a puddle with your bare feet. Which I doubt you will be doing.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks guys. I've done the above and have found the following...

Living Room (socket not on an exterior wall)
      Terminal 2 wire out = phones live. So I took the wire from terminal 5 out = phones dead. Got a bit flustered as the screw from 5 came out, which led to a small silver thingy falling out and was a pain in the backside putting it back in (I know it was mentioned before). So I put the wires back in and tightened the screws = phones live.

Front Room (socket on an exterior wall)
      Terminal 2 out = phones dead. I didn't bother taking terminal 5 out as the phone was already dead (plus I was still flustered with the Living Room attempt with screw falling out lol). I put the terminal 2 wire back in and tightened screw = phones live.

I also went to the loft and saw some cables (see photo). I canít see the entry point (too much rubbish up there) but they are stapled all over the roof walls and beams. I donít know what cables they are though. One is black and round. The other is gray and flat.

Does any resemble a telephone line from outside? I don't have any telephone poles outside the house so maybe they are power/aerial etc but not sure.

Further questions...
      1 - does this mean that my master socket is the front room?
      2 - what does all this mean? What type of setup do I have?
      3 - junction? I don't know what or where that is.
      4 - what else do I have to do to help the engineer about my setup for fibre?

Thanks
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)-loft-cables.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast