Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)

This is a discussion on Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!) within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Provided all phones were dead including upstairs then yes your master socket is the front room. None standard but it ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)

1. Provided all phones were dead including upstairs then yes your master socket is the front room.
      2. None standard but it doesn't really matter.
      3. There may be a junction box but as it is after the master socket again it doesn't matter.
      4. The engineer will have to replace the master socket with a white plastic one. Make sure he has room to work. May mean moving some furniture. Cover carpet by socket with dust sheet in case of mess.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

wasabi (18-03-13)

3. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

1. If removing the wire killed all your other sockets, that is the master socket.
      2. Its hard to say what your actual layout is, but don't worry about it.
      3. Again, don't worry about it. If all your sockets were dead when you removed the wire in your front room, the junction is on the 'right' side of the master socket and will be covered when a filter plate is fitted to it. If any of your phones had still been live, that could have caused problems.
      4. Nothing really, he will change the master socket to an NTE5, fit a filterplate and take a data cable from there to where you want your router fitted. You need a power socket fairly close to the master socket.

The gray wires in the loft are part of your electrical circuit. I think the black ones are aerial wires, probably from your dish or external TV/FM aerial.

Edit Beaten again

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

wasabi (18-03-13)

wasabi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Please ignore previous test results. Shortly after I posted, I re-read and re-traced what I did and I don't think I untwisted the wires properly. I think I untwisted them prior to putting the wires back into their terminals, but not before testing the phones. Also I don't think I tested upstairs phones when I did the front room (I did living room first). Maybe it was because I was still flustered with that silver thing that fell out when I did the living room and that I could see the odd electrical spark so I wasn't thinking properly.

So I decided to do the whole again making sure that I untwisted the wires prior to testing and remembering to test upstairs.

Front Room
      Terminal 2 out - kitchen dead but upstairs live
      both Terminal 2 & 5 out - kitchen dead but upstairs live

Living room = exactly the same as Front Room

Does it mean i don't have a master socket? Could it be upstairs? or is the junction box thing before my master socket (if I have one)???

Also does it matter what phone you use to test? The kitchen one is a standard plug into phone socket. The upstairs ones are the handsfree ones where you plug into phone socket and an electrical socket.

Thanks

Looks like you may have a junction box prior to the front room socket, unless the real master socket is one of the inaccessible sockets upstairs. Are there any blank faceplates anywhere? If so remove the cover and have a look inside. I would expect to find three cables at least two of which should be the same type as seen behind the telephone sockets. If thicker cables do not poke around inside as there may be mains voltage present. You could get misleading results with a cordless phone so best to use a standard phone.
      Last edited by seawright; 17-03-13 at 02:09 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

wasabi (18-03-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have a look around and see if you have one of these junction boxes tucked away. - http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...EPUBMAY&dur=63

You may have to refresh the page to see the image.

If you do not have an overhead supply, it will be underground and may come up in the same place as your electric supply, in a cupboard where your electric meter is situated.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

wasabi (18-03-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Some progress

So I've looked at the remaining sockets = 1 kitchen white socket (not the gold one), and 3 upstairs. The upstairs are -

master= one cable, no yellow thing so didn't test
      spare room = two cables, no yellow thing so didn't test
      front bedroom= 3 cables with yellow thing. Tested it by removing terminal 2 wires and untwisted prior to testing whether phones live. All upstairs and downstairs phones dead. Did not bother removing terminal 5. I noticed that this socket had 3 cables and on each terminal, there were 3 wires twisted instead of 2 wires like the others. Could this be my master socket?

I then looked in the garage and found a gray box with "T" logo on it. Is that a junction box? There is a big thick cable going into the box from underneath from the wall. It should be black but it's currently painted white. Theres a thinner gray cable coming out of the box going upwards towards the ceiling but I can't trace where it goes to. The box lid has a screw locking it so I didn't look inside.

1- Does it mean that the front bedroom is the master socket because it has 3 cables (not 2) AND it has a yellow thingy?
      2 - have I a junction box? if so is this before or after my master
      3 - what does it mean for when I get fibre installed? Will it be hard work for him etc etc?

Also, what is the purpose of a junction box? If I have a master socket with the extension sockets daisy chaining, why a junction box?

Many Thanks
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)-kitchen-white-socket.jpg   Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)-2nd-floor-sockets.jpg   Help - which is my master (all have yellow battery thing!)-garage-gray-box-t.jpg  

Thanks

1. The front bedroom socket is the master socket.
      2. The junction box in the garage is before the master socket though as it is only used for cable changing it will not present a problem, however the engineer will probably want to check it.
      3. My guess is that he will replace the master socket in the front bedroom with a new style one to which he will fit a VDSL faceplate and connect the fibre modem to this and a nearby mains socket.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

wasabi (18-03-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Many Thanks guys. You both have been great

Steele11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halfway
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: sky Q hub
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Please ignore I remove my Comment About the loft
      Last edited by Steele11; 19-04-13 at 12:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12