Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT drop cable, master socket and faceplate splitter

This is a discussion on BT drop cable, master socket and faceplate splitter within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently moved into a purpose-built ground floor flat. It was built in the 1930s and the general wiring in ...

lip13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT drop cable, master socket and faceplate splitter

I recently moved into a purpose-built ground floor flat. It was built in the 1930s and the general wiring in the flat leaves a lot to be desired! Anyway, I have one master socket in the flat which disappears outside the building to the roof and I'm assuming to the telegraph pole. I want to add a faceplate splitter to the master socket so that I don't have to use a microfilter (to tidy up the wiring). So I removed the plate on the master socket and saw that no wires were attached to the plate. On removing the socket itself, I can see that the orange and white wires of the BT drop cable are attached to the A & B connectors. How should I connect the faceplate to the socket? Do I need to run another wire from the back plate, should I connect the drop cable directly to the faceplate or do I leave things as they are and just swap over the faceplates?

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: BT drop cable, master socket and faceplate splitter

You just swap over the faceplate. This just indicates there are no other extensions wired to the master socket. If you have any other sockets in the flat then these are not wired correctly as they should be wired off the lower front of the NTE5 matser socket.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

lip13 (08-01-13)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If the Master socket is type NTE5 that's where there is a horizontal split in the faceplate allowing removal of just the lower half then the electrical connection to the faceplate is via a plug moulded into the rear of the faceplate. The fact that there is no wiring attached to the faceplate merely shows that you have no internal extension cables. There are various filters available but if you use the NTE5 Service Specific Face Plate (SSFP) then it is just a case of removing the lower half front panel of the NTE5, plugging in the SSFP and refitting the original lower front panel.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BT drop cable, master socket and faceplate splitter-ssfp.jpg  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

lip13 (08-01-13)

lip13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers guys. No other sockets in the flat so I'll just swap the faceplates over