Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By RUNITDIRECT

NTE2005 vs vDSL faceplate for extension filtering

This is a discussion on NTE2005 vs vDSL faceplate for extension filtering within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, My master socket seems to have failed recently as I can only sync when connected directly to the test ...

Ajaay_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

NTE2005 vs vDSL faceplate for extension filtering

Hi,

My master socket seems to have failed recently as I can only sync when connected directly to the test socket (Voice connections still work at any extension in the house). So I'm looking to replace the faceplate but just want to be sure exactly what my best option is. The flat was built in 2007 but I don't think it's the latest faceplate variant as the extension terminals have more than 2 connections and my understanding is that newer ones only require 2 (blue and blue/white) is that correct?

I would prefer not to connect the router into the main socket as its by the front door with no where neat to put the router in the hallway. If I use the NTE2005 with 6 IDC connections I can chose an extension in the house to be filtered unfiltered is that correct? Would I be able to do the same with the new vDSL faceplate or would that force me to connect directly into the main faceplate?

Would I still have to buy a new NTE5 faceplate along with either the NTE2005 or vDSL plate or do they negate the need for one?

I know this stuff probably gets repeated and I've tried to decipher what I can. I just want to be 100% before I order anything. My DSL is speed is shocking due to distance from the exchange and usually sits at <2mbps so I'm not looking for any miracles with the replacement but may as well do the best I can.

Cheers!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: NTE2005 vs vDSL faceplate for extension filtering

All faceplates will have between 3 and 6 terminals.

There is no point in fitting 2 filtered faceplates, especially if the master is in a position it cannot be used conveniently. If the master socket is in a position that is not used, then one of these would be your best bet -
      XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

It would connect to the first extension, with any extensions thereafter fully filtered. The master socket must remain in place as it does not contain the necessary surge protection.

If you intend to use the Master to plug anything, it would need a faceplate filter or a plug in filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Ajaay_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Ok so just to clarify..

I'd need to buy myself one of these to replace the faulty main socket -

NTE5 BT Openreach Type Socket (NTE5A with bellwire filter)

And then the ADSL Nation prefiltered socket wherever I plan to connect my router?

Thanks

I would say yes. You may be able to get the filtered extension socket from Runitdirect as well, I haven't checked.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

OK, assuming you have other extensions that wire back to the master socket you will still need an ADSL faceplate on the master NTE5. The statement above regarding how many terminals faceplates have is incorrect in regard to the VDSL faceplate. This design works differently, for FILTERED extensions your wiring still connects to the terminals on the lower front half of the NTE5 (2, 3 & 5). The VDSL faceplate has two IDC connections(see picture on our website), these are for connecting UNFILTERED extensions (an extension where you want to plug your router in). The VDSL faceplate fits in between the two parts of the NTE5 hence the name "interstitial plate or iplate". For the extension run off the VDSL faceplates terminals use this socket. It's basically what you get by fitting a faceplate to an NTE5 all in one socket (made by the same people!). You will then have filtered & unfiltered ports on that extension (so you can plug a telephone and a router in). If you just need that extension for ADSL/VDSL only then use the BT NTE2000 extension kit.
      Isitme likes this.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

The statement above regarding how many terminals faceplates have is incorrect in regard to the VDSL faceplate.
      Not to be pedantic, but strictly speaking the VDSL is not a 'faceplate', it is as you say an "interstitial plate or iplate".

Fitting a VDSL plate to the master would complicate the issue as it would require alterations to the wiring to use the unfiltered terminals. Do you have instructions on your site on how to do this? I am sure it would prove useful.

Using your BT Socket, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11 on the first extension would be the easiest way, provided the master is not used.

TomD

Useful Utilites

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As the OP's master socket seems faulty any solution will require re-wiring. The VDSL faceplate is no more complicated than any other faceplate, as stated the only difference is the filtered & unfiltered connections are on different parts. Instructions for a VDSL extension can be found here. That guide doesn't mention the socket I linked to as that socket is not for VDSL (the VDSL faceplate is also ADSL compatible & is the best design currently available). We need to know what wiring configuration is in use here, do all extensions wire back to the master or are they daisy chained?
      Last edited by RUNITDIRECT; 18-10-12 at 04:40 PM.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

do all extensions wire back to the master or are they daist chained?
      That's the crucial question. It is possible the OP has only one extension.

TomD

Useful Utilites