Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate

This is a discussion on ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Horrendous line errors No, fitting a new NTE5 and faceplate wouldn't give you a sync higher than 15323kbps as that ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate

Horrendous line errors

No, fitting a new NTE5 and faceplate wouldn't give you a sync higher than 15323kbps as that is the speed Sky cap most Max customers to (16meg less overheads) as explained to you here.

Those errors are so high there's something really bad going on with your line. If it's not the BT line itself (possible) then I'd take a good look at that Commtel Internet and Phone Guard as something is introducing massive noise. None of my business but I'm curious to know why you need it? Though of course the problem may be with the "3 x 15m extension reels, 1 x two way splitter and 1 x 10m extension reel for connecting 2 x Binatone Speakerphone 510 SMS corded house phones, 1 x BT Freelance XA500 Twin - cordless house phone" you refer to elsewhere
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-01-08 at 04:48 PM.

2. Advertisement
      jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Horrendous line errors

No, fitting a new NTE5 and faceplate wouldn't give you a sync higher than 15323kbps as that is the speed Sky cap most Max customers to (16meg less overheads) as explained to you here.

Those errors are so high there's something really bad going on with your line. If it's not the BT line itself (possible) then I'd take a good look at that Commtel Internet and Phone Guard as something is introducing massive noise. None of my business but I'm curious to know why you need it? Though of course the problem may be with the "3 x 15m extension reels, 1 x two way splitter and 1 x 10m extension reel for connecting 2 x Binatone Speakerphone 510 SMS corded house phones, 1 x BT Freelance XA500 Twin - cordless house phone" you refer to elsewhere
      Hi Saturday, thanks for replying back to me. Basically, I'm capped to 15323kbpsm which I'm right in the first place!! I think I get it now, the key is less noise Margin, the higher line speed sync!! I notice the changes something like line Atten starting from 31, then going to 30.5, then back to 31 again, and the noise margain going from 9.6 to 8.8, then back to 9.6 again.

That's ok, I need Commtel Internet & Phone Guard to prevent unauthorized use of the phone when I'm not at home, saving me from paying very huge phone bills, like in the past.

I have draw another Final ADSL Plan, but this time its in full detail.

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.4 13.5
      Attn(dB): 31.0 18.7
      Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 16692 864
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      S: 0.4980 7.7037
      L: 4096 216
      Counters
      SF: 113280 113278
      SFErr: 135 1
      RS: 14726484 962863
      RSCorr: 13152 6
      RSUnCorr: 7591 0

HEC: 133 0
      OCD: 3 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 66252755 3271306
      Data Cells: 27838 9990
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 9 1
      SES: 5 0
      UAS: 14 16
      Total time = 30 min 53 sec
      SF = 113280
      CRC = 135
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 9
      Latest 1 day time = 30 min 53 sec
      SF = 113280
      CRC = 135
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 9
      Latest 15 minutes time = 53 sec
      SF = 3335
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55591
      CRC = 69
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 54354
      CRC = 66
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 5

If I remember correctly, the noise margin is 9.0 and line atten is 31db when connected directly to my pre-NTE5 master socket without commtel phone guard installed as mention in this forum.

So, which Noise Margain is better for me: 9.0 or 8.8? Or please tell me the most suited Noise Margain for me. I have 2 x Sky's Microfilters left.

Sorry, I meant to ask you was, if replaced my old pre-NTE5 1973 LJU2/2A BT Master IDC socket to new moderm BT Standard NTE5 socket, would I get the full benefits e.g. new and improved line atten, less Noise Margin? Or its best to leave it as it is at the moment as it doesn't make any differences at all.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 24-01-08 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks

Hi Saturday, I just remembered that I'm using a seperate extension for ADSL connection, as shown in my full detailed Final ADSL Plan. Does it matter? I mean, does it still adding more noise, when using seperate twisted round RJ11 extension for ADSL and three cheap flat extensions for the house phones, Sky digibox & Sky+ digibox.

How can I reduce the noise? I have only 2 Sky supplied microfilters left, or is best to upgrade my old fashion pre-NTE5 LJU2/2A BT Master IDC Socket to modern standard BT socket with engineer's test socket, by getting BT Engineer to come round and replace my BT Master Socket.

Thanks.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      How can I reduce the noise?
      Get rid of the "three cheap flat extensions for the house phones, Sky digibox & Sky+ digibox".

I think you'd really benefit from reading the first sticky in my signature to understand noise margin etc. To understand how to improve your wiring, spend some time reading through the cabling and faceplate help forum. In summary, don't use plug in extensions or splitters and fit a new NTE5 with a replacement filtered faceplate and hardwire your extensions into that.

Thanks

Get rid of the "three cheap flat extensions for the house phones, Sky digibox & Sky+ digibox".

I think you'd really benefit from reading the first sticky in my signature to understand noise margin etc. To understand how to improve your wiring, spend some time reading through the cabling and faceplate help forum. In summary, don't use plug in extensions or splitters and fit a new NTE5 with a replacement filtered faceplate and hardwire your extensions into that.

Ouch!! 168.32 for only getting BT Engineer to replace from my old non-NTE5 LJU2/2A PABX BT Master IDC socket to new BT Standard NTE5 Master Socket with Engineer's Test Socket inside, I find out after calling BT to see how much they charge, big bad shocking news!! 116.32 for BT Engineer visit + 52 for new BT Standard NTE5 Master Socket.

Is there any other way replacing my old non-NTE5 socket without paying 168.32, that's a daylight robbery!! Add 31.68 more to 168.32, and that's the total price for my 2 months shopping. I prefer to spend it on my 2 months shopping to last me and my family for 2 months, instead of giving it away to BT Engineer for only between 2 - 20 mins job.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Many people find that their old sockets develop faults and are noisy. When a noisy line is reported a BT engineer is sent out to investigate. Most times BT engineers replace old sockets with new NTE5s. There would be no charge for this. However, BT will sometimes make a charge if an engineer is called out and no fault is found. The above relates to voice call problems only - BT are not interested if you have ADSL problems.

Failing that an alternative would be to buy a NTE5 and filtered faceplate and fit it yourself to the side of the existing old socket then connect the two together and all subsequent wiring being connected to the new socket only.

The cabling and faceplate help forum has all this info covered as I've already advised you. You just need to look for it.

Thanks

Many people find that their old sockets develop faults and are noisy. When a noisy line is reported a BT engineer is sent out to investigate. Most times BT engineers replace old sockets with new NTE5s. There would be no charge for this. However, BT will sometimes make a charge if an engineer is called out and no fault is found. The above relates to voice call problems only - BT are not interested if you have ADSL problems.

Failing that an alternative would be to buy a NTE5 and filtered faceplate and fit it yourself to the side of the existing old socket then connect the two together and all subsequent wiring being connected to the new socket only.

The cabling and faceplate help forum has all this info covered as I've already advised you. You just need to look for it.
      Hi Saturday, after I have another research on the Internet, I just find out about this BT Line Test using 17070, then option 2, which I didn't know all this time until now. I read it and follow it, removing all the extensions, plus the Commtel Phone guard as well, and only plug in my Binatone Speakerphone 510SMS corded phone into my BT master socket to do the test.

I dialled the 17070 number, then option 2, before the phone call was connected, I heard "hum" noise, as if sounded like electronic interference. And then, while I was listening for the Quiet Line Test, I keep hearing small pops continuously like a heart beat.

Is this normal? or do I have a nosily line?

Also, every time, when I make a call using one of the phone cards, and while the call is connected, its goes like this all the time... produce a "hum" sound, then the call went through by says "Please enter your PIN number" - the PIN from the phone card and the same goes all the time when I'm making every phone calls.

And yup! Its definitely LJU2/2A master box as I saw the label inside the master box when I remove my Commtel Phone Guard from my master BT socket.

I took the liberty of taking a picture of my old Brown G.P.O. BT35A Junction Box in the living room, its looks horrible and its old too!! Hanging by wires on each side, even its swings back and forth when I touch it or when the window is open on windy day!! I asked my dad about it and he says that BT Engineer says its fine and its works perfectly when he first installed the phone line back in 1973, but I doubt it very much as it looks horrible and its too old, period!

Oh, by the way, here are my router stats when its connected with only one micro-filter and and router connected via 20m ASDL twisted round extension as follows:

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.3 13.5
      Attn(dB): 31.0 18.6
      Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 15960 864
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      S: 1 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      S: 0.4980 7.7037
      L: 4096 216
      Counters
      SF: 2655 2653
      SFErr: 31 1
      RS: 345214 22550
      RSCorr: 1850 0
      RSUnCorr: 2412 0

HEC: 31 0
      OCD: 1 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 1556520 50827
      Data Cells: 43 17
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1 1
      SES: 1 0
      UAS: 14 16
      Total time = 1 min 2 sec
      SF = 2655
      CRC = 31
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Latest 1 day time = 1 min 2 sec
      SF = 2655
      CRC = 31
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Latest 15 minutes time = 1 min 2 sec
      SF = 2655
      CRC = 31
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Previous 15 minutes time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

I want to double check first before I report to BT for a fault on my phone line. Thanks, Saturday.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 31-01-08 at 02:49 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      Is this normal? or do I have a nosily line?
      If you can hear humming and pops then yes, you probably have a noisy line - I say probably because it could be your phone not the line.

Report noisy voice calls to BT. Don't mention ADSL and don't mention you've done a 17070 test as I don't believe the general public are supposed to call that.

In my experience and from what I've read, BT often say there's no problem when there clearly is. It would be a cost saving thing. i.e. a small amount of noise doesn't matter on a voice call so why spend money to fix it. Persevere and say you're not happy. They'll then send an engineer out and chances are he/she will replace that old socket you describe free of charge. BUT, remember, if BT can't find a fault or the fault is with your wiring and equipment rather than theirs, they can and sometimes do make a charge. Keep on the right side of the engineer and all should be well.

Thanks

If you can hear humming and pops then yes, you probably have a noisy line - I say probably because it could be your phone not the line.

Report noisy voice calls to BT. Don't mention ADSL and don't mention you've done a 17070 test as I don't believe the general public are supposed to call that.

In my experience and from what I've read, BT often say there's no problem when there clearly is. It would be a cost saving thing. i.e. a small amount of noise doesn't matter on a voice call so why spend money to fix it. Persevere and say you're not happy. They'll then send an engineer out and chances are he/she will replace that old socket you describe free of charge. BUT, remember, if BT can't find a fault or the fault is with your wiring and equipment rather than theirs, they can and sometimes do make a charge. Keep on the right side of the engineer and all should be well.
      Thanks for the reply, Saturday. Firstly, switch off my computers and the router, then I'll remove everything including all the extensions, splitters, Commtel Phone guard, and leave only one phone connected to the master socket, then I'll try to make one more phone call.

If I heard "hum" or "buzz" sound again before the call is connected, then I'll complain or report a fault on my phone line by BT web site, if they says that there is no problems on my line, then I'll say you may think its fine, but I have heard "hum", "buzz", "pops" sometimes when I'm making a phone call about a couple days ago. Also sometimes its fine and sometimes I can't hear properly when the ear / speaker volume is set to full blast to the maxmium when I'm making local phone calls. Plus I'm not very happy with the wiring done in the living room, G.P.O. BT35A Junction Box for example, it looks horrible, plus its hanging by wires which is a fire hazard and its very dangerous, swinging back and fourth when the window is open for some fresh air and wind blows. Also, this Master socket is too, too old, period!! Its should be installed with the latest BT Socket, not some old fashion socket and its been there since 1973, plus I have to use some super glue to hold in place onto the wall, as the sticky tape didn't work and it was hanging very loose by wires again, as its sticking out.

I can go on and on to them if I have to like how can I test the wiring when I don't have the test socket on old fashion 1973 non-NTE5 socket? You come to my house and see what I mean, then you tell me that am I right or am I wrong?? That is if they asked me that did I test the wiring or the phone?

I can tell all the same things again to the engineer when he comes? Or just show him both my junction box and old non-NTE5 socket as well? Is that you meant "Keep on the right side of the engineer?".

Cheers.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 31-01-08 at 02:50 PM.

Gazwozhere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crosshills
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Hi guys after reading and semi understanding most of this, just wanted clarification on what im planning..

I plan on installing the XTE-2005, on the master socket, and either using the router connected directly to that, and using wireless as i currently do now.

Or 2nd option i was thinking was to install the XTE-2005, and on the upstairs extension replace the old socket with XTF-68/85 and have the router connected there.

My question regarding this option is would i still benifit, or would connecting via the extension still cause some issues as before.

Iv tested with the test socket and i could gain another 1mb out of this connection without interference.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)