Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate

This is a discussion on ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi i can see that you have extensive knowledge on thi particulsr field. i just bought an xte-2005 faceplace. i ...

fas_k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: 02 broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate

hi i can see that you have extensive knowledge on thi particulsr field. i just bought an xte-2005 faceplace.

i currently have a master socket with one phone jack i can insert

my current set up is

1= no wire
      2= 2 black wires
      3= 2 orange wires
      4= 1 yellow wire
      5= one blue wire

can u explain what each wire does???
      furthermore do i just get the same wires and put them in the same slots in the new xte???

look foward for your reply
      thanks

2. Advertisement
      adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There are only 3 wires in use in telephone wiring 2,3,5. Assuming you will be connecting your modem to the faceplate when fitting the XTE-2005 you simply remove the wires from the existing faceplate and connect them to the same numbers on the XTE-2005. You can simply ignore the yellow wire on 4 as it isn't doing anything.
      adslnation

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

A while ago (couple of months now, I think), I replaced my old BT faceplate with an ADSLNation one. No problems, dead easy and looks much nicer than the old set-up.

I had a BT engineer out to my house today to try and solve an intermittent connection problem -- he took one look at it and he went off on one! Took me 5 minutes or so to calm him down enough to actually take a look at it properly (at which point he realised that it was only a faceplace and not a complete replacement!). Then took him another 10-15 minutes of talking him down off his high horse to explain what it actually does (mine has an extension wires into the blue section, and then the router off that, via a filter). He still didn't believe me until he had actually tested at both the socket and the extension.

Now he wants one! Suddenly he was extolling the virtues, saying that he really didn't like the BT ones they provided (they have a filter built in, but no way of wiring in an unfiltered extension) and was well impressed.

Only sad bit about the whole incident was that, if I hadn't stuck to my guns, he would have whipped that off faster than you could have said "its better than yours, mate" and given me a right telling off.

Would be nice if BT engineers knew more about these things that a lay-person!

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Oh dear!!, he must be very new, and not up on ADSL. There is not anything to choose between them (the BT and the ADSL Nation XTE2005).
      When ADSL was an eng fit service, sometimes people were not too happy with the offical ADSL extension kit (it plugs in the ADSL socket of the filter) and used to ask if there was a neater way of doing it. Don't tell anyone, but the standard fiddle was to connect the extension to the incoming line (A and B on the master) and the all the extensions via the filter. Very naughty

Thanks

Nope ... he's been a BT engineer for quite some time, although I think he said he'd only been involved in broadband for about 2 years. But he reckons that none of the BT engineers (I assuming that is a generalisation!) like broadband problems because they don't really know how to fix them, or what is causing them - their basic response is to check wiring inside the house and to swap things around until it works.

Thanks

You must have got a duff one!! (eng I mean)

Thanks

He may have been duff when he arrived, but I think I managed to shake some of the duffness out of him by the time he left ... that was one BT engineer who has now become partially deduffed.

Thanks

As a matter of interest Stumpy, was this connection problem to do with BB or normal telephone? I am thinking about all the problems you have had with BB and maybe the two problems are related. I may be putting two and two together and making five through

Thanks

*wiggles eyebrows* - well this is the question! He came out because of the current ongoing problem on my line, which is that there is absolutely no problem with my line - apart from once every 24-25 hours or so, when I get disconnected.

He proved that there was no (normal) wiring problem from my main incoming socket to my extension where the router is plugged in - much to the guys astonishment the stats were exactly the same, and that the errors were so low, their software didn't even bother to count them.

He did, however, establish that when the telephone is in use, the errors on the line shoot up. As far as I am aware, I don't tend to use the telephone at 2am, and the Sky+ box apparently only connects around once a month, not once a day, however my husband works from home and has a PC, phone and fax connected in his office 24/7 (albeit on different numbers to our home phone), so I guess there is a possibility that something is happening up there.

The BT guy did state, however, that this doesn't mean that the phone call had to be made to or from our house ... it could simply be another wire rubbing on it somewhere along the route.

He has swapped out our connection from exchange to "little green box" with another, which doesn't show this problem (although it did prior to his swapping), so fingers crossed that may do it. The next possibility is to swap the connection from the "little green box" to our house.

Thanks

this may be too much to ask, as you may not have followed him about! but did you notice if he used any test equipment, other than his lap top, I am thinking of a tdr, He may have called it a mole or hawk.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)