Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to connect new Cat5e wiring to drop cable

This is a discussion on How to connect new Cat5e wiring to drop cable within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ... through an old style 1950s junction box. I'm replacing the old cable in the house which must be years ...

radlord is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langside
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

How to connect new Cat5e wiring to drop cable

... through an old style 1950s junction box.

I'm replacing the old cable in the house which must be years and years old and in any case now has a lovely big hole half way along due to overzealous use of a heat stripper by a flatmate.

I've got some nice new solid core cat5e I can use for it, I think I know how to connect it at the NTE5 box, but the other end of the cable stretch by the old junction box is a bit confusing. Inside the junction box the cables are joined by two black clip things... should I snip these off and use a jelly crimp to connect the red drop wire cable to the new internal cat5?

How to connect new Cat5e wiring to drop cable-post-3342-0-08492600-1344091953_thumb.jpg

How to connect new Cat5e wiring to drop cable-post-3342-0-78833200-1344091881_thumb.jpg

I cant work out how to remove these black clip things without snipping them off... I am ready to put a jelly crimp on either one but I really need confirmation I'm not going to mess everything up before I do it!

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: How to connect new Cat5e wiring to drop cable

I would;

• Disconnect all the cables that are there now
      • Fit a BT master socket where the old thing is
      • Connect the 2 cables coming in from the outside to the back part of the BT master socket
      • Then connect the blue/white and the white/blue to the front of the ADSL filter for the extension phone line

You will need to buy;

• A BT Master socket, and back box
      • An ADSL filter frontplate
      • A Krone tool to fit the wires, a disposable would be fine

The blue/white and the white/blue should go to pins 2 and 5 and more than likely at the other end of them, there is an extension box?

If so make sure that only 2 and 5 are connected.

If you are plugging your router in at the new BT master socket, then you should plug it back into the ADSL split

If you are planning on using your router on the other end of the extension, then you would have to wire up the ADSL part of it in the front plate and then run the cable to wherever and then terminate into a socket for it to plug into.

I hope that makes sense, if not just ask.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I would;

• Disconnect all the cables that are there now
      • Fit a BT master socket where the old thing is
      • Connect the 2 cables coming in from the outside to the back part of the BT master socket
      • Then connect the blue/white and the white/blue to the front of the ADSL filter for the extension phone line

You will need to buy;

• A BT Master socket, and back box
      • An ADSL filter frontplate
      • A Krone tool to fit the wires, a disposable would be fine

The blue/white and the white/blue should go to pins 2 and 5 and more than likely at the other end of them, there is an extension box?

If so make sure that only 2 and 5 are connected.

If you are plugging your router in at the new BT master socket, then you should plug it back into the ADSL split

If you are planning on using your router on the other end of the extension, then you would have to wire up the ADSL part of it in the front plate and then run the cable to wherever and then terminate into a socket for it to plug into.

I hope that makes sense, if not just ask.
      Thanks!

I should have said that the replacement cable is going between an NTE5 master socket and the old junction box.

The junction box thing is in the bathroom by the window where the drop cable enters the house. I'd rather keep the junction box there I think for three reasons;

1. I'm a bit of a novice and would prefer not to fit new boxes of possible, would like to keep work to a minimum.

2. I know there's a gray area with stuff 'behind' the master socket, would like to keep everything looking untouched if BT visit - two master sockets may send alarm bells

3. The box as I say is in the bathroom which gets humid from showers etc, the junction box is a bit more 'enclosed' than an nte5 so this might be a bit more resilient to corrosion from water etc. If we can join the external to the internal cable inside this box in the correct way it'd be perfect for now I think!

Tell me if I'm being stupid with this plan though!

Thanks!

Murray
      Last edited by radlord; 06-08-12 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks
      Blog Entries

OK - Where is the main master box, and does it have an ADSL faceplate on it?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

The only other telephone equipment in the property is in the living room, about 20 metres of cable run away. It's a standard BT nte5 fitted last year, which has the router plugged into it via an external filter dongle.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Just so I don't get the wrong end of the stick,

Do you want to replace the cable from the bathroom to the BT nte5 in the living room?

If you do, then you would need to disconnect the cables (blue/white and white/blue) in the bathroom and then run the cable from the living room to the bathroom. At the living room end, you would connect blue/white and white/blue to the screw terminals on the back of the master socket and not using the front (pull off) plate at all for wiring.

Once you have done that, then connect the bathroom back up like you suggested using jelly crimps, you are obviously going to have to cut the old black ones off.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

PS if you don't have an ADSL faceplate on the BT socket, then you could buy one and replace the old faceplate, then plug the router into the ADSL side of the faceplate, thus negating the need for a filter hanging out of the socket.

Thanks

Thanks! I just wanted confirmation that the jelly plugs would work ok... I don't have any experience of wiring up my own phone equipment, and wouldn't want to be messing the wiring up by doing something stupid.

Good to know jelly plugs would be OK for the job, I was worried they might not be appropriate for phone wiring and I'd end up with 512kbps or something!

I like the look of the faceplate actually, I'll read some threads on here and pick one out to top off the new wiring I think.

Cheers!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you ain't sure about the connections then just use a terminal block?

Thanks

i don't know what that is... there's not a lot of drop cable left in the house and I'd be wary of using up any more than I have to if I mess anything up.

Would a terminal block be better than a jelly crimp then?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast