Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?

This is a discussion on damaged phone cable and who should fix it ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, posted this on sky forums but got no answers so here goes: I have a working phone and broadband ...

nickonsofa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?

Hi,

posted this on sky forums but got no answers so here goes:

I have a working phone and broadband (and TV) from sky but it is condsiderably slower than my neighbours

so I decided to investigate.

To sum up I've found that the phone line comes into the house and goes into a small (matchbox size) white box (has a T on it so from BT?). From here the cable goes under the carpet to a standard master socket (just like this one: How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

A fair amount of the cable insulation (12 inches) has split/perished under the carpet to reveal the bare coloured/stripy wires beneath. I guess its only a matter of time until one of these wires gets broken and my phone/broadband stopped working.

I rang sky but they said since there is currently no issue they can't do anything: "nothing to troubleshoot", so I'll have to wait until it fails!

I thought that BT were responsible for the line up to the master socket but I'm not sure if I can call them out and avoid being charged ?

I could just wrap some "tape" around the bare wires ? Or perhaps buy some phone cable myself and have a go

at rewiring from the mysterious first white box up to the master socket.

What do you think ?

Thanks

Nick

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?

Sky are responsible. If they are your line rental provider then it is Sky that arranges Openreach should you need any work done up to the master socket. However if you have a junction box as you describe then it can get a bit tricky. Theoretically Sky are responsible for this too, but as the cable runs under your carpet any damage to the cable would likely be caused by your actions. Therefore it is possible that even if your services fail that you would be charged for the callout. However I have only seen 2 people charged in over 3 years so your odds are good.

Sky are right though. if there is no issue atm i.e. loss of broadband or talk services, then you wouldn't need a callout. If you harp at them enough then you may get through to CST but if they say you're getting what you should be getting as per the estimates of your line then nothing will happen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to indefatigable For This Useful Post:

nickonsofa (11-06-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

BTO are responsible for the maintenance of the cable from the telephone exchange to your Master Socket. However you will need to contact your line provider in order to get them to action any repairs.

I am surprised that BTO would have your telephone cable running unprotected under your carpet though. This would be most unprofessional.

Do not tape the cable as it needs to be correctly insulated.

If you cannot convince Sky Talk staff to dispatch a BTO Engineer to replace the broken cable, then you could consider doing it yourself or getting a local contractor to do it for you. Do not use the cheap telephone cable which you can purchase in most high street shops if you do this yourself. I would suggest that you consider contacting someone who can supply good quality cable and also relocate your Master Socket so that the line never needs to run under your carpet again.

Partially me being lazy, but also because Dave does contribute good advice on the forum, I would suggest that you look at the run-IT-direct site as see what they have available for you.

run-IT-direct - ADSL, Telephone & Network Products - Buy Online - Network Cabling Installation -

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

nickonsofa (11-06-12)

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Running a cable under the carpet is always bad practice, TBH I'd be surprised if an OR engineer was responsible for that. Is it possible to relocate the master socket? If not could the cable be clipped elsewhere?
      Scubbie likes this.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks all for the info,

I think moving the master socket may be tricky as it has extension wiring coming off it. Am I actually allowed to move it anyway?

Also done a bit more wire investigation: cable comes from a lunch box size box attached to next door's property and then comes in above our front door into a white box, I'll call it X (size of two matchboxes), can't open it as painted shut, then goes about 4 meters to (matchbox size) white box I described in my first post, call it Y. Managed to open Y up but hard to see in as right in corner of hall. Looks like words say RC910.206.01 Issue 2 on inside. Cable coming in has a green to earth, brown not connected, blue to A, orange to B, then a normal phone cable (8 stripy wires) going out: only two connected blue to A, white (bit of blue) to B. From here the cable goes under the carpet to master socket.

Phew! taking Y apart was a bit hairy but I can still ping Sky User so looks like I got away with it

Any advice on what is best way to fix this up. I guess I could cut off the cable coming out of Y and use an IDC insertion tool (?) to connect some good cable? (haven't looked at how it connects to master socket yet), or maybe I can go back further to X, I wonder what that box is for ?

Thanks

Could you post some photos of the BT boxes? Perhaps Dave or someone might recognise which one it is.

Whilst technically BTO do not like the public messing around with the telephone wiring, it isn't a major issue if it is all completed properly.

As for the internal extensions, you are free to redo the wiring for these. Depending on how it is put together, it may be a relatively easy job.

BTO are responsible for doing the work up to the Master/Test socket. Anything after this point is your responsibility.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I too doubt that a phone engineer would put an unprotected cable under a carpet. I think the master socket has probably been moved by a DIYer who has not thought about subsequent wear on the cable. It should certainly be moved to a safer position.

Strictly speaking it is against BTO's terms to interfere with a master socket and any wiring on the exchange side of it. It is not 'illegal' as many claim, but if you do interfere with it and make a mess of it, BTO are likely to charge you heavily to repair it. In saying that, provided the proper materials are used rewiring is not too difficult.

cable comes from a lunch box size box attached to next door's property
      This will be a multi user junction box which is quite common on adjoining properties. You should not interfere with this as you could knock out your neighbours phones.

comes in above our front door into a white box, Ill call in X .
      This is probably the original junction box for the house. In older houses these are usually oval shaped, but square on later properties.

then goes about 4 meters to (matchbox size) white box I described in my first post, call it Y
      This is a junction box used to convert the wiring to IDC type wiring. Usually screwed on one side with IDC terminals on the other. The wire running between this box and box X is probably 4 core untwisted pair which is not a good thing as it can pick up interference.

In your place I would be replacing box X with a new junction box and replace the wire with Twisted pair CW1308 and run this to your master socket, not under the carpet. If you do decide to do anything get good materials from a good supplier, not ebay, RunItDirect is very good and will give you all the help you need.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

nickonsofa (12-06-12)

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Pictures would be good. Is the master socket actually used for anything or do you have your equipment on extensions? You could move the master but you would then need to run a wire from the new lovcation to the old & use a junction box to pick up the old extension wiring. I doubt that would be worthwhile.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

nickonsofa (12-06-12)

Thanks

From an obvious wiring perspective, I would agree that on first impressions running a wire from a relocated Master Socket to the extensions might not be a good idea, but I would have thought that if the Master Socket had a short lead the OP might in turn have an improved connection speed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info, took some photos that may help:

Box on next door:
      damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?-1.jpg

Managed to open up box X where cable comes into house (comes in on right of photo):
      damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?-2.jpg

then leaves via cable left of photo to box Y:

damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?-3.jpg

think this looks like a bodge as both cables are wired into white plastic connector in bottom left when should have used screw connectors above ?

From here its under the carpet where insulation has perished to the master socket:
      damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?-4.jpg
      comes in at bottom, just two blue/white wires connected and you can see what is presumably the extension wiring going out the top.

Does it look like a DIY bodge job and what is the best remedy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast