Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?

This is a discussion on damaged phone cable and who should fix it ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'll let Dave pass some comments tomorrow. Personally I would look at replacing all the wiring from the 1st black ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: damaged phone cable and who should fix it ?

I'll let Dave pass some comments tomorrow. Personally I would look at replacing all the wiring from the 1st black junction box and fit a new NTE5 socket. Doing this you could remove both X & Y.

Getting the right cable is important though and plan carefully where you want to place it.

As for the extensions, look to see if you can run a new extension lead behind the wall for your telephone socket/s around the house.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

To comment I need to know where you plug the router in? Where do you plug your phone(s) in? (both currently & if the master was to move would this still be possible?)
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

think this looks like a bodge as both cables are wired into white plastic connector in bottom left when should have used screw connectors above ?
      As I said, this box is to convert screwed to IDC and as you say the screws have not been used. This could be a weakness as the incoming wire may be a bit thicker than the outgoing which may cause a poor connection. The incoming wires may also be stranded which should not be used with IDCs. I would disconnect the incoming wires from the IDC and connect them to the AB screws, it will not matter which goes where. Take your stats before and after to see if there is any difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nickonsofa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Thanks,

At the moment the router (F@ST2304) is plugged in upstairs into an extension socket. We have a phone plugged in downstairs to master (it's the base-station for a wireless pair with the other phone upstairs). There is one more phone plugged into an extension socket but we could live without that.

The F@ST2304 wireless signal doesn't cover the whole house so I'm going
      to need to find a solution to this (another thread!). I think I am right in saying you
      can't just plug another device (e.g. WAP) into a phone extension socket to "extend" the wireless. In that case I think I'd be happy to just do away with all the extension
      sockets (could bad extension wiring make broadband slower, or would it not matter if you plugged router into master since the bad wiring is "after" the router?).

I quite like Scubbie's idea of removing X and Y but the black junction box is on next doors property and not easy(/legal?) to access so perhaps I should cut off wire going
      into X and replace X with a modern "junction box" with new wiring coming out direct to either the existing (or maybe a new) master.

Does that sound like a plan?

Thanks

I could suggest that your comment about the WiFi coverage is relevant to this thread in some ways. If will help to influence where you locate the Master Socket.

As Dave has mentioned, it isn't illegal to play around with the wiring between the Master Socket and the Exchange, just that it is against BTO's terms. In practise though, provided that the job is made good, they tend to turn a blind eye.

With regards to the WiFi coverage, you may think that this would influence the location of the router and you would be right. What I am think though is for you to consider fitting either a long Ethernet Cable or a pair of HomePlugs and locate a WiFi Access Point elsewhere in your home in a position to cover the rest of your property.

There are suggestions else where on this forum on who to configure different options, but there are many to consider.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

nickonsofa (14-06-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

(could bad extension wiring make broadband slower, or would it not matter if you plugged router into master since the bad wiring is "after" the router?).
      Provided you use a filtered faceplate on the master socket, the extensions wiring will not interfere. It can cause problems if you just use a plug in filter. You should plug into the Test socket and take your stats from there and while you have the faceplate off, check that any extensions you have are dead.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

nickonsofa (14-06-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Dave are you there ?

Could you suggest what I need to purchase to put my plan into action ie: "cut off wire going
      into X and replace X with a modern "junction box" with new wiring coming out direct to existing master" ?

Funnily enough a sparky was in work today PAT testing and he said to be careful doing your own wiring as the telephone system carries 50V.

Thanks

Dave will have finished for the day.

Yes do be careful. The actual telephone system changes between AC and DC voltages too.

If everything is disconnected and you work carefully, things are generally fine.

Persoally I would look inside the black box in the first picture and replace the entire cable from this point. It should require a screw drive to remove the cover and to replace the wiring.

If that can't be done, then scrap the box in pic 3 and wire up from the box in pic 2 to your new Master socket.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickonsofa View Post
      Dave are you there ?

Could you suggest what I need to purchase to put my plan into action ie: "cut off wire going
      into X and replace X with a modern "junction box" with new wiring coming out direct to existing master" ?

Funnily enough a sparky was in work today PAT testing and he said to be careful doing your own wiring as the telephone system carries 50V.
      If the cable is solid core then you can use a BT77A junction box, BT would normally use a BT80A in this location though. From here wire CW1308 cable to the master socket. If you haven't already got one consider a filtered faceplate on the master socket.

Re: Voltage, do not worry, your fingers may just about tingle if you touch the line pair, you can get a slight surprise if the phone rings when touching the line pair but that is about it! Rule of thumb, touch one wire at a time
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      If the cable is solid core then you can use a BT77A junction box,
      It's what I'd call standard telephone cable with six stripy wires (see pic 2 (posted previously) at bottom right). Is that solid core ?

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      consider a filtered faceplate on the master socket
      Guess that just screws on to front of existing socket ? Can you post link to item on your site then I can get and order together

Finally I guess I will need some kind of IDC tool, can you recommend ?
      May also need to do some cat 5 cabling work soon so a "multi-tool"
      might be useful if they exist?

Thanks
      Nick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast