Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Replacing wire from Junction Box to master

This is a discussion on Replacing wire from Junction Box to master within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm thinking about replacing an old piece of CW1308 to my master socket from my junction box, and the junction ...

Thrill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolsover
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Replacing wire from Junction Box to master

I'm thinking about replacing an old piece of CW1308 to my master socket from my junction box, and the junction box (BT80A) itself. Would this boost any speed? The wire is in such a mess, it's in the wall and then goes down under the carpet and finally into the master. It's been down 30 years, so it's horrid.

Would I gain any speed/snr improvement? Could I just jelly crimp the dropwire onto my new cw1308 and ditch the junction box?

Another question is, I've got a vDSL faceplate on my NTE5 master (obviously pre-filtered!) and I'm wondering how I could wire up 3 extension sockets? Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Replacing wire from Junction Box to master

Would I gain any speed/snr improvement? Could I just jelly crimp the dropwire onto my new cw1308 and ditch the junction box?
      You will not know until you try it! If it is proper CW1308, I doubt if you will see much improvement. Likewise replacing the junction box with crimps will probably gain nothing.

Another question is, I've got a vDSL faceplate on my NTE5 master (obviously pre-filtered!) and I'm wondering how I could wire up 3 extension sockets? Cheers.
      The proper way to wire in extensions is using the 'daisy chain' method. ie, the 1st extension is wired to the master socket, the 2nd extension wired to the 1st, the 3rd wired to the 2nd and so on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you. Downstairs my master, I have a vDSL plate on my NTE5. Would I use the terminals on the back of the vDSL plate? If so, would the new telephone socket have Internet access or just be a phone line? Thank you.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

The IDC connections on the VDSL faceplate are UNFILTERED so any extension wired off that will require a filter and will provide telephone & internet access. Extensions for telephones only connect to 2, 3 & 5 on the lower front half of the NTE5. These no longer require filters as they are filtered via the VDSL faceplate.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

I understand, thank you guys. I'm replacing a Junction Box & the wire to my master.. the dropwire will be going into 2 Screw Terminals, do I have to remove any insulation or what I just screw it in? Would it be okay to jelly crimp Dropwire 10b & CW1308?

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

For screw terminals you need to remove the insulation. IDC terminals you don't! No problem in jelly crimping CW1308 to drop wire.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

How would you go about removing the insulation? Just use wire strippers? Just bit unsure how to screw it into the terminals and make it the best connection possible. This is an image of my hallway, the Junction Box is in the top right of the image. Where would you lay the new CW1308 if it was you? Baring in mind the master socket is in the bottom left of the image (under the shelf) can't see it but there's obviously skirting board there. Really want some insight how a telecomms engineer would lay it. PS: You can see the 'drop wire' going into the right side of the Junction Box, the CW1308 comes out the left side)

Here's the image:

http://imgur.com/vBmtm