Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Best way to increase connection speed.

This is a discussion on Best way to increase connection speed. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am currently with Be for broadband (Capped at 8mbit) and BT for line rental but am thinking about ...

hex0n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Value
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Best way to increase connection speed.

Hi,

I am currently with Be for broadband (Capped at 8mbit) and BT for line rental but am thinking about moving to Sky Unlimited / Sky Talk (To take advantage of the 6 months free broadband and Sky Talk). I wanted to improve my cabling / speed before I moved over to sky so I will get the best speed my line can support when I go through DLM.

The way my connection is currently set up is I have the NTE-5 master socket downstairs in the living room (at least I think it's the master socket, you can take off the bottom part of the face plate and it has a test socket behind it, the only reason I'm not entirely sure is because it doesn't seem as bulky as the pictures I have seen, but I think that's because it seems to be recessed into the wall slightly.)

I then have two extensions, both in different upstairs bedrooms although I think only one is actually connected to the master socket, the other extension seems to come off of the first extension. I have my router connected to the extension that comes off the original extension, from what I have been reading on this forum this isn't the best way to go but this is currently the easiest solution, the stats I get with this setup are as follows..

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,170 / 6,878
      Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5
      Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 41.0
      SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 5.5

I have tried in the past moving the router downstairs and plugging it directly into the test socket and from memory the best speed I achieved was 10mbit (This was when my broadband wasn't capped to 8mbit), I tried doing the same thing yesterday and the results I got were...

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,252 / 8,187
      Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
      Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.5 / 40.5
      SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 7.0

I'm not entirely sure if I would get better speeds than this with sky or if this is as fast as I'm likely to get. I was planning to fit an adslnation faceplate to the master socket downstairs and then get my brother to rewire the extension in my room and connect it to the master socket downstairs (Using the a,b connectors so it's an adsl line only).

I'm sure most people will suggest moving the router downstairs but I'm not entirely sure if that's feasible but I would consider it but in general I would just like some advice of what speeds I would likely get with sky and whether there is much point in doing what I have suggested or should I do something entirely different?

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.s Sorry for the long post ;p

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Best way to increase connection speed.

The better speed and noise margin in your second set of stats show your internal wiring is slowing you down. Fitting and using a filtered faceplate would improve things. Instead of wiring into the AB terminals to take the ADSL upstairs, I would plug the router directly into a filtered faceplate and use an ethernet cable to connect upstairs. You can use a switch or an old router to give you extra connections upstairs.

I would like to say you would get a better speed with Sky, but this is doubtful. There are quite a few here who have moved from BE and complained their speed was reduced. You might get about the same speed, but I doubt if you will get more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

hex0n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Value
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my thread.

I had a feeling this was the answer I would get from reading other posts on the forum but just wanted to make sure. It's unfortunate as when I enter my information on the Sky website it says I am likely to get between 9.6 and 16.4 Mbps, I thought this might be a bit higher than I would get but I thought I would at least get 10Mbit switching to Sky and replacing the faceplate on the master socket downstairs.

Would connecting the extension in my room to the master socket downstairs really make that much different as far as speeds go? (slowing them down), I know you have suggested moving the router downstairs but if I was to do it the way I originally suggested what would would be the best cable to use for the extension? My brother asked an Ex-bt Engineer he works with when he was redoing the phone lines in his house and he suggested using Cat 5 cable (Wiring it into the master socket / extension like you would when using normal phone cable).

Guess I will look into getting the faceplate and have a think about where I put the router, it's just annoying having the router downstairs since my parents have a wireless laptop and that's it downstairs, I have all the computers / stuff that I want connected to the network via cat 5 in my room ;p, I know you suggested a switch but I'm fairly cheap and wanted to get the best result for the least amount of money ;x,

Thanks.

AdamLC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen Internet
      Router: TP-Link Deco M5
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

You could still have your router downstairs and use power line adaptors such as these. I use them in my flat to stream full hd with no problem. My parents also use them in their house too. Would save running new wires etc and it means the wireless laptop downstairs would have a better signal too

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Whatever speed you get from the test socket will be the best you can achieve. If you use the latest BT Openreach VDSL compatible faceplate (THE BEST available right now) & good quality CW1308 cable for the ADSL extension you should not see any difference from the test socket speed.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.