Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By AlexS

I cannot identify my master socket

This is a discussion on I cannot identify my master socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all I have just joined this forum in the hope I can get some advice with my Sky services. ...

Gingerjumper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I cannot identify my master socket

Hello all

I have just joined this forum in the hope I can get some advice with my Sky services. Having just joined Sky's broadband service I am having some troubles so I hope some kind souls here can help.

Since my broadband went live last friday in my flat I have contacted Sky for assistance as the service keeps dropping. Sometimes it lasts several hours but most of the time it reaches between 20 minutes to an hour and then drops. At worst it does this every 2 to 3 minutes before then settling.

Anyway Sky have asked me to identify the master socket in my flat. Having unscrewed each face plate I cannot seem to find a test socket and none of the face plates have BT upon them so I cannot rell which one (if any) is the master. I have attached photos of each socket, can anyone tell me which is the master please?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

James aka Gingerjumper
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I cannot identify my master socket-imag0494_lounge1.jpg   I cannot identify my master socket-imag0495_lounge2.jpg   I cannot identify my master socket-imag0496_office1.jpg   I cannot identify my master socket-imag0497_office2.jpg   I cannot identify my master socket-imag0498_hallway1.jpg  

I cannot identify my master socket-imag0499_hallway2.jpg   I cannot identify my master socket-imag0500_cuboard1.jpg   I cannot identify my master socket-imag0501_cuboard2.jpg   I cannot identify my master socket-imag0502_bedroom1.jpg   I cannot identify my master socket-imag0503_bedroom2.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I cannot identify my master socket

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerjumper View Post
      Hello all

I have just joined this forum in the hope I can get some advice with my Sky services. Having just joined Sky's broadband service I am having some troubles so I hope some kind souls here can help.

Since my broadband went live last friday in my flat I have contacted Sky for assistance as the service keeps dropping. Sometimes it lasts several hours but most of the time it reaches between 20 minutes to an hour and then drops. At worst it does this every 2 to 3 minutes before then settling.

Anyway Sky have asked me to identify the master socket in my flat. Having unscrewed each face plate I cannot seem to find a test socket and none of the face plates have BT upon them so I cannot rell which one (if any) is the master. I have attached photos of each socket, can anyone tell me which is the master please?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

James aka Gingerjumper
      The socket with the yellow component the size of an AA battery is the master.
      Sky will probably suggest using the test socket on the master, which of course you don't have.
      You have quite a mixture of socket types and considering the ring wire is connected ( connection 3 ) on all of them, that probably won't help.

Personally I'd replace the existing master socket with an NTE5 type master socket and fit a filtered faceplate.
      Scubbie likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexS For This Useful Post:

Gingerjumper (17-04-12)

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I would also check in your airing cupboard. On a lot of new build flats, the sparks seem to run the main BT in cable from the DP unit into a master socket in the airing cupboard and then run all the other points from there. The TV system is the same. You may even have a blank plate with a chock block behind it for all the phones.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodster For This Useful Post:

Gingerjumper (17-04-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you don't have an NTE5 hidden away somewhere else, picture 7 is the master. As you have called it 'cupboard1' I doubt if you will have another hidden away, but have a look anyway. Having a router in a cupboard is never a good thing, so fitting a NTE5 with a filtered faceplate then taking the RJ11 cable through the wall to another room may be your best bet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Gingerjumper (17-04-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for your replies peeps I won't be placing the router in the cupboard but as my bathroom is the other side of it I am not in a position to recable really Would using a non master socket result in dropped connections? My broadband keeps dropping out. Its a new line (it only went live on the 13th) so I am not sure if its the line or the socket I am using.

I will post on another thread more detail about the line dropping. Many thanks again.

Thanks

If you are experiencing drop outs, your best bet would be to connect to the master socket and unplug everything else you have connected to the phone circuit and run like that for a while. I realize this may not be very convenient but it may show whether your internal wiring is causing the problem. If the drop outs stop you will know it is the internal wiring which is causing the problem.

Although plugging into the master socket is recommended, provided the internal wiring it in good condition and well installed you can use one of the extension sockets. Apart from having the orange ring wire connected yours looks in good condition and well installed. The ring wire can cause 'noise' on the line and is not really required especially when using filters on everything connected to the phone circuit. Remember the filter should be plugged into the socket first, before any extensions or devices.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Gingerjumper (17-04-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I will try the master socket today as a test and leave it connected for say 24 hours to get a fair reflection of the service.

Out of interest, is there anything I can do to remove the orange wire from the sockets?

Also I have been connected to the router a lot and have been reviewing the log it produces. Is there anyone at Sky i can send the logs to so I can prove the line is disconnecting?

AlsoI keep seeing this in the log:

Apr 17 05:15:27 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=atm0 OUT= MAC=4c:17:eb:6d:9d:3e:ac:9c:e4:28:00:90:08:00 SRC=124.207.137.33 DST=90.210.207.195 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=99 ID=256 PROTO=TCP SPT=6000 DPT=1433 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000

Should I be concerned by this? At that time I should have no devices switched on with Wifi or cable, the MAC address matches part of the MAC assigned to my router.

Thanks again for all your advice

Thanks

Out of interest, is there anything I can do to remove the orange wire from the sockets?
      Yes, just pull it upwards out of the terminals.

The Intrusion alert is nothing to worry about, it just shows the router is doing its job by detecting and stopping illegal connection attempts.

TomD

Useful Utilites