Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help confirming correct install/config of wiring!

This is a discussion on Help confirming correct install/config of wiring! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and after having read quite a lot of useful stuff on here I ...

sphericalbrick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ringway
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Help confirming correct install/config of wiring!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and after having read quite a lot of useful stuff on here I thought I'd ask for some expert advice.

I've recently moved and have had a BT engineer out to reconnect a disused line in order to access my broadband provided by Sky (unlimited package if that matters).

Having had an engineer install a line at my previous address I am worried that the wiring configuration in my house is wrong! I'm no expert and so if you guys could confirm/dispel my suspicions it would be much appreciated.

I currently have no Master socket I can connect my old filtered faceplate to. I believe the faceplate my router is connected to is the master where extensions originate from and is shown below...would I be right in saying this is a Non-NTE5 Master Socket as there are only 2 wires connected?

Help confirming correct install/config of wiring!-photo-3.jpg

I've concluded this is the master socket as all of the extension sockets have white wires and this is the only socket with a black wire, the same as is connected to the BT box on the outside of the house. I'm wondering why there are only 2 wires connected, if this is correct and also why there are more than 2 wires connecting the extension from the socket?

I have seen speed drops in the past few weeks that have coincided with crackling on the line. I've been in contact with Sky recently and had a very vague and non-personal response explaining that I should fit all sockets with micro-filters and ensure the router is connected to the master socket. All of these things I have had for quite some time! Could this be anything to do with my configuration?

Any help is appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Help confirming correct install/config of wiring!

That is not really a 'master' socket, it is an extension socket. A master socket has a capacitor and spark arresters fitted to the plate. Do you have an external box, an XNTE? If so that is the master. If you do not have an external NTE then the BTO should have fitted an NTE5 when he commissioned the line. Have a look at your other sockets and see if one has a capacitor, a small cylinder about the size of an AAA battery.

You have two pairs of wires, one incoming and one outgoing to the next socket, which if you have more than one extension socket, will also have two pairs of wires. The last socket on the circuit will only have one pair of wires going in.

If you have an external NTE then you should fit one of these to the first socket and use it to plug in your router. XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

If you don't have an external NTE, then you should fit one and use a filtered faceplate. NTE5 BT Openreach Type Socket (NTE5A with bellwire filter)

In the meantime, pull the wire off terminal 3 in your box, This is the ring wire and can badly interfere with your broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

hi sphericalbrick,
      i'm a total noob with this kind of thing, but still have the customer instructions that came with my bt openreach filtered faceplate.

it's definitely not an nte5, as the faceplate for these are split in half horizontally & there would be a test socket behind.

my instructions read as follows:

1) blue (or blue with white) to connector 2
      2) brown (or orange with white) to connector 3
      3) orange (or white with blue) to connector 5
      4) if you have a green wire (or white with orange) do not connect this.

that just leaves your green with white & white with green wires, which i guess are for your extension.

that's the limit of my knowledge.

edit: doh! an expert with proper knowledge beat me to it
      and i was about to mention the ring wire too
      Last edited by gymno; 14-04-12 at 04:11 PM. Reason: obvious

Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses guys,

I've removed the wire from number 3 so we'll see if that has any impact on line stats, for the moment my connection is at 1021 kbps down and 252 kbps up. I've read I may need to request a manual line configure?

As for the external NTE...presuming this is it?

Help confirming correct install/config of wiring!-photo.jpg

I'm looking for the faceplate I have already bought as I believe it's the exact one you suggested Isitme...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

yeah 1021 & 252 isn't great.

i can't help personally, but i'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon.
      in the meantime, it would be a good idea to post your router stats for when they do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      yeah 1021 & 252 isn't great.

i can't help personally, but i'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon.
      in the meantime, it would be a good idea to post your router stats for when they do.
      Here they are in all their glory....

Help confirming correct install/config of wiring!-capture.jpg

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sphericalbrick View Post
      Here they are in all their glory....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	604 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	3123
      Looking at your stats, you are connected at about a fifth of what you could potentially get.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

That does not look like an XNTE, it looks more like a standard junction box. The XNTEs are fairly new and have the Openreach lettering, not BT. You can read about it in this piece by RunitDirect-
      What the external NTE means for you. : External NTE

You should fit an NTE5 socket.

You figures are very bad, this is probably, but not definitely, due to your internal wiring. What you can do is remove the green/white/green wires from the 2 and 5 terminals and take your stats. This will disable your extensions, so if you really need these you will have to replace the wires. Use the proper tool to do this or the edge of a thin credit card. Do not use a screw driver.

Normally the blue pair are used for extensions and as yours is using the green pair that suggests the work has not been done by a phone engineer, more likely an electrician. This would also explain why they have not used a proper master socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Isitme, thanks for the info in particular. Just looking at the NTE5 socket and have a few questions. Firstly, after installing the NTE5 will I have to use microfilters for all of the extensions in the house still?

Also, in a previous post you mentioned I should fit an external NTE (fairly sure this is what you meant but not positive)....is this still necessary and is there any particular method you would suggest? I'm sure i'm capable of doing all of this but never had to do it in the past

Thanks for the help again!

Thanks

Would it be best to connect an NTE5 socket then and use an adsl faceplate to seperate my broadband signal from the telephone signal? Can't wait to *maybe* get some faster speeds! 1mbps is driving me nuts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast