Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help-fitted the faceplate and now have no dial tone

This is a discussion on Help-fitted the faceplate and now have no dial tone within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have just fitted the faceplate and while the internet is working fine, the phone isn't working at all! Have no ...

ukdarrenfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Help-fitted the faceplate and now have no dial tone

Have just fitted the faceplate and while the internet is working fine, the phone isn't working at all! Have no dial tone and don't know what's gone wrong. The wires are in the right place and secure but nothing is happening. No dial tone and it doesn't ring when I try to ring it from my mobile. What's happened? It won't even work when I plug it into the test socket. Help!

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Help-fitted the faceplate and now have no dial tone

An update. Tried a corded phone in the test socket and it worked. Then tried the cordless phone in a hard wired phone extension in another room. It works. So the problem has been narrowed down to the telephone extension cable.

warrmr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukdarrenfan View Post
      An update. Tried a corded phone in the test socket and it worked. Then tried the cordless phone in a hard wired phone extension in another room. It works. So the problem has been narrowed down to the telephone extension cable.

First I would re check your wiring check that you have the blue and blue/white wires to pins 2 and 5 of the back of your face pate. I think that the solid blue is supposed to goto pin 2 then the blue/white should goto pin 5. It shouldn't matter as it will work both ways round but will matter if you like to follow standards.

The second thing to check are they IDC punch down terminals or screw in. If they are the IDC type did you punch it down with an IDC/krone tool or did you use a screw driver*.

If you used a screw driver throw your new face plate away and buy a new one, or see if the retailer will send you a new one as you broke the IDC connections.

if they are screw down connections check your connections and ensure there is no insulation under the screw.

The reason is that if you use a screw driver you can spread the IDC connections so that they will not cut the insulation or so that they dont contact the wires.

Insulation-displacement connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hope that helps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think it's the faceplate that's faulty. Basically once I put filters back on everything it was all fine. The wires were correct and I used a krone tool, so I know it wasn't that. I don't want to mess around with it any more yet so the filter will just have to stay!