Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BT I-plate caused internet and phone to stop working completely. What caused this?

This is a discussion on BT I-plate caused internet and phone to stop working completely. What caused this? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After reading all over the internet that the BT I-plate can increase your internet speeds by around 1.5mb and noticing ...

UKMach is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Minsterworth SouthWest SSMWH
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT I-plate caused internet and phone to stop working completely. What caused this?

After reading all over the internet that the BT I-plate can increase your internet speeds by around 1.5mb and noticing that when I plug my router into the master socket my internet jumped from 4.5 to 6mb, I decided to go for it with high hopes.

However after a couple of days my phone completely lost its dial tone and the internet slowed to about 500kb. Its line attenuation jumped from 36db to 49db and the SNR was sitting around 20db. I did lots of tests to check it wasnt anything like hardware such as phone router etc and even rang sky who stated that it was an issue with internal wirign. Only untill I took the I-plate back off that everything returned to normal and by normal the internet worked but has not been above 3.7mb since. Line attenuation dropped to 35db and the SNR is at around 15db

Two weeks later and I decided to give it another go and within the day the telephone line crapped out completely and the internet stopped working with no connection stats what so ever. After taking the I plate back off everything within the day turned slowly back to normal as stated above.

My question is why has this happened, is it a faulty I-plate, something Im doing or am I just unlucky?

Sky connect and around 2.34 kilometres from exchange (as the crow flies). The master socket is correct for an iplate and there is only one extension coming off it.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: BT I-plate caused internet and phone to stop working completely. What caused thi

The iPlate is pony, better to get a filtered faceplate instead
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

UKMach (17-02-12)

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: BT I-plate caused internet and phone to stop working completely. What caused thi

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      The iPlate is pony, better to get a filtered faceplate instead
      Agreed. I use one of these XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation and they really work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

UKMach (17-02-12)

Thanks

Ok brilliant Ill give it a go. I take it its the same or similar fitting to the I-plate? In the mean time I might just give taking the beel wire off a go as well to see if that reduces any noise from the line. Ive got a krone tool for 2 off ebay so I can attach it back easily if it screws anyhting up

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

err, you may just have a faulty I plate!! I plates work really well for those who do not want to any any wiring, they also have an RF filter built in (which no ADSL faceplates have) which can help with REIN issues (same as the BT 80B RF3). The best filtered faceplate is the new vDSL/ADSL one that we stock.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

UKMach (17-02-12)

Thanks

WOW!! as soon as I installed the XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate (which was fast cheap postage from ADSL nation!!) and checked out my router stats, my downstream speed had jumped to 6048kb!!! My line attentuation is 35db but more interstlying teh SNR has stayed around 15db. So im still not sure what it has acheived this jump as I thought the high SNR is what was reducing my speed.

It does appear that I had a faulty I-plate and im glad you lot advised me to get a XTE-2005 so thank you very much!!!!

Thanks

That's sounding much better, should end up over 10Mbps at this rate

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      That's sounding much better, should end up over 10Mbps at this rate
      Not on Connect he wont

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Missed that bit...

Thanks

Yeah it is connect so Im not expecting it to get any higher and as I was quoted 4-5mb im happy with 6mb.

Speedtest.net wise I think Sky might be throttling my bandwidth as it didnt go over 0.35mb down before the new faceplate and still wont go over it. So im wondering if Ive hit my 40Gb download limit, might give sky a call and find out what is happening as they told me the limit refreshes every 13th day of the month for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast