Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New line installed by BT but a few queries.

This is a discussion on New line installed by BT but a few queries. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello Forum, I came on here a good few months ago about trying to up my speed and the problems ...

Reaul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New line installed by BT but a few queries.

Hello Forum,

I came on here a good few months ago about trying to up my speed and the problems I was having with Sky getting me onto ADSL2+ and I remember the help I received from this community was fantastic. I eventually went from 4.0mb to 19.5mb through the advice I received and just generally nagging sky.

I've sinced moved from my previous address due to the landlord wanting his house back to live in, so I removed my filtered faceplate and wiring and lived in hope that the new line (being 'new') would be decent.

BT engineer came today whilst I was at work and installed a line - which basically took 2 hours and we wanted the line in the front room but he said no and put it through to an already existing BT box. He told my girlfriend that everything goes through the master socket. I came back from work intending to install the filtered faceplate again and found that theres zero wires exposed and everything is going through the Master/Test socket so my faceplate is redundant.

Is this normal? I told my partner to say that the we intended to install this faceplate and his response was "they are not used anymore, everything goes through the test socket".

The internet is too say the least not very quick, down to sync speeds of 4092 with things downloading about 3.0.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4092 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.5db 33.2db
      Noise Margin 7.4db 16.0db

The network type has changed from PPPoA to MER too, which was disappointing and I know the line is huuuge so I'm not expecting miracles but as I'm not too sure about the faceplate/wiring excuse, I really wondered what you guys thought before I ring sky?

Thanks for any advice given.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New line installed by BT but a few queries.

Not sure what you are saying? The front faceplate would have zero wires installed if you have no extensions? The faceplate just screws onto what you have, you only need wiring if you have an extension. & no, faceplates are far from redundant! Or are you saying you DO have an extension but this is NOT wired to the front lower faceplate of the NTE5?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

RUNITDIRECT is correct, if you have no extensions then there is nothing to connect to the Faceplate. I've only one socket and use a filtered faceplate to keep things neat
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Reaul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sorry to have wasted your time - I've made an error because at the previous address with the filtered faceplate I had to use the special tool to insert three wires into the faceplate but now it's been explained to me that this was for an extension... but I've no idea where that went so I probably put them in for nothing. I'm sure the wires were orange & white, one green and one blue. But anyway I realise now that this is neither here nor there.
      I called Sky last night as I couldn't make any outgoing calls and they classed it as a failed install and turns out this morning when the BT openreach engineer came there was a fault on the line. The previous engineer didn't check the line properly but since I've come home from work around 4pm and all seemed to be working.
      I had sync speeds of 5800 - a 1800 improvement on last night. I proceeded to install the faceplate as now I understand that the wires weren't required.
      This further increased the sync speed to 6098. I was happy with 6mb and was hoping it was last until FTTC... but suddenly and from nowhere I notice that browsing got really slow and I was unable to access any streaming services as it takes ages to load - I'm stuck at sync of between 700-928.

My stats.
      Connection Speed 928 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0db 31.5db
      Noise Margin 6.4db 7.0db

From memory when I got in from work it looked more like this...
      Connection Speed 6098 kbps 728 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0db 31.5db
      Noise Margin 7.6db 7.0db

I thought that maybe the faceplate was faulty and returned the original plate and went back to a brand new microfilter that I had spare but it's still reduced my stats. I notice that the attenuation has jumped by 5db and sometimes it can hit 60db.

Anyone have any more ideas?