Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED

This is a discussion on Extension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all and thank`s for your help in advanced, I will try to keep this as non confusing as possible, ...

toquiktofink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED

Hey all and thank`s for your help in advanced, I will try to keep this as non confusing as possible, I have 4 pictures.
      1. From the test socket.
      2. From the faceplate of the test socket. (the main face plate?)
      3. From my front rooms face plate. (the main plate/ test socket isin my bedroom)
      4.The micro adsl filter i am using.
      I also have 3 screen captures of my routers statistics whilst connected to each of the sockets from the 3 pictures.

It appears i get slightly faster speeds from my front room, than I do the main sockets faceplate however the test socket far outperforms the front room. This does not make sense to me, surely the faceplate that sits on the test socket would be better than my front rooms socket?
      Extension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED-bedroom-test.jpgExtension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED-bedroom-faceplate.jpgExtension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED-lounge.jpgExtension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED-micro.jpg
      Below are the screen captures in order
      Last edited by toquiktofink; 13-02-12 at 11:11 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Extension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED

Extension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED-test-socket.jpgExtension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED-main-socket-faceplate.jpgExtension performing better than main faceplate? HELP NEEDED-fromp.jpg

As you can see the front rooms face plate out performs the main face plate, is this strange considering the main face plate sits on the test socket, (which outperforms the front room face place?)

Either way, I really have to have my router in the front room, after showing you my setup is there anyway I can get my front rooms speed, which is currently 7261 kbps, any closer to the 9651 kbps of the test socket, the test socket/master face plate is in the bedroom.

Cheers all

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

It is very likely that the internal wiring is interfering with your ADSL signal.

In this situation most of us would recommend a filtered faceplate. The decision that you need to make is which one to go for.

Previously we would have recommended a filtered faceplate such as shown in the link below. This would require that you also invest in an IDC tool so that you can wire in the extension wires to the new faceplate. Of the two shown below, the first is the cheapest, but not good for too many jobs. The second is a little more money, but will last longer.

BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version

IDC Tool , Simple tool to allow termination to IDC blocks

Professional IDC Tool

With the introduction of FTTC though, a new filtered faceplate is available. This one is more money, but you continue to use the original faceplate on the socket that you have. The faceplate will work with both your current ADSL connection and an FTTC connection, should you intend to get Fibre at a later date:

BT/Openreach VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie for your quick reply, the thing is the connection I want to use is in my front room and if you look at the pictures, you will see it is not a standard face plate. Or are you saying by changing the master face plate (the one that sits on the test socket right? IN MY BEDROOM), it will make the front rooms connection faster.

If that is the case then my front rooms connection must feed off of the master face plate/test socket right, but then why is my front room reporting faster speeds then the master face plate?

I do not want to plug the router in to the master face plate, it is in the bedroom. The front room is faster than the master face plate in the bedroom, but not the test socket that the master face plate in the bedroom sits on, I hope your with me.

Long story short, does replacing the master face plate, make other points through out my house faster?

Thanks

What you are looking to do then, instead, it to move the Master Socket from the Bedroom to your lounge. Alternatively you could look into methods of extending your home network to the lounge from the bedroom.

I suspect the reason that the stats are a little lower in the Master Socket is because the connectors are a little damages. This isn't unusual and won't affect the telephone for speaking.

The Filtered Faceplate would isolate the ADSL signal from the extension and you would no longer get any signal if wired to pins 2 & 5. You could connect up to pins A & B on the back of the first faceplate shown. This would allow the signal to carry on downstairs, but your speed would drop again.

Moving the master socket can either be done by BT Openreach, a local contractor or yourself. BTO will charge around 160, provided that you can get Sky to allow you to move it.

For some ideas on extending your home network, please take a look at the thread linked below:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...e-network.html

Whilst the document isn't that old, there have been quite a few reductions in prices in recent weeks and there are additional options available, but the document covers the main choices.

Finally, should you be considering getting Fibre in the future, the Master Socket will be the only place where the Modem will be connected to. BTO can run a length of cable from the socket to the Modem. I do not know how the speed would be affected though.

Quote Originally Posted by toquiktofink View Post
      Long story short, does replacing the master face plate, make other points through out my house faster?
      The Extension is wired to the rear of the faceplate, so the wiring misses the Master Socket, only the Test Socket is affected.

All too often the quality of the extension wiring will reduce the signal.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I'm confused as to where you want the router?! Do you want it in the Openreach branded master socket or the faceplate that has the Sky F connector modules in? I can see gel crimps at the master socket that look like they are joining to the extension wiring?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry for the confusion RUNITDIRECT.

Picture 1 is of my router plugged into the test socket via a micro filter, this is the fastest of the 3 scenarios. (its in my bedroom)

Picture 2 is of the router again with a micro filter plugged into the face plate that sits on the test socket (from picture 1) which I may incorrectly be calling the master face plate, this is the slowest of the 3 examples.

Picture 3 is of the router plugged into the connection (face plate?) in my front room (where I want the router), this scenario is faster than when I connect the router to the face plate that sits on the test socket, but slower than the test socket itself.

I have no idea how comm networks are installed in a house, but I do have a competent understanding of networking.

Considering the test socket is the fastest, I thought that picture 2, (the face plate that sits on the test socket) should be faster than picture 3 (the connection in my front room)

The reason I am thinking this is because I presumed that the test socket is the main feed to my flat, (hence it being the fastest) and when I connect the face plate to it, it feeds (through that face plate first) the rest of the house.

Will replacing the face plate that sits on the test socket with a filtered one, make it faster than the socket in my front room?
      If not, can I just keep the router plugged into the test socket?

If so i`ll just use a long adsl cable from the bedroom (where the test socket is), to the front room,(where I need the router, the only reason i need the router here is for some ethernet points)

Or ill have the router in the bedroom`s test socket and use a wireless N draft ethernet bridge in my front room.
      Last edited by toquiktofink; 14-02-12 at 01:15 PM.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

OK, the test socket being fastest makes sense. What doesn't is the extension being faster than the faceplate on the main socket (all things being equal they should be the same or the master slightly faster). With the test socket revealed is the other socket(with the Sky leads on) dead? The gel crimps make me suspect they maybe more to the wiring that first meets the eye. Do you have any other extensions?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes I have other extensions, maybe 2 or 3 Ill try shortly to see if taking the main face plate on the test socket in the bedroom disables all the other points or some of them at least throughout the flat.

Thanks

Is it practical for you to run a length of Cat 5e Ethernet cable to the lounge from the bedroom? Alternatively it might be better to use a pair of HomePlugs.

Since you are in a flat it may not be very easy to move the Master Socket. So what I am thinking it that you could perhaps place the Sky router in the bedroom, with another access point in the lounge. The access point could be a simple 5-Port switch or a WiFi Extender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast