Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cabling Help please

This is a discussion on Cabling Help please within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All - first time poster here First of all, excellent forum and have spent the last 2 weeks trawlin ...

tazman007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMALL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Cabling Help please

Hi All - first time poster here

First of all, excellent forum and have spent the last 2 weeks trawlin the info here and I'm after some advice to check I'm on the right track.

Currently I'm with entanet and get a measly 1.5 meg download speed. Sky have very nicely come in and put their LLU stuff in my exchange so I've moved my broadband and calls with them, and have a date of next Thursday where my broadband will transfer over.

I thought I would optimise my phone connections before then and have posted some photos of my existing connection. My master socket in the lounge is the very old LJU type and as you can see from the photos, the incoming yellow cable that comes in from outside has strange colours that's connected to terminal 2 (orange/brown) and terminal 5(grey). (The other wires coming from the white cable lead to an extension socket in the kitchen, which I'm going to disconnect these as I don't use this).

I'm looking to purchase an NTE5 master socket like this:

NTE5 Master Socket - With Openreach&#8482 Logo

and a filtered faceplate like this:

XTE-2005 Clone NTE5 ADSL Faceplate

Am I going along the right lines here? Also I would like to know which of the wires from the main yellow cable I connect to which terminal on the NTE5 master socket when I get it.

Just for info: my router stats at the moment are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3680 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 25 db
      So I should in theory get a much better speed than I currently am based on these stats

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Taz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cabling Help please-imag0609.jpg   Cabling Help please-imag0612.jpg   Cabling Help please-imag0613.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Cabling Help please

Quote Originally Posted by tazman007 View Post
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3680 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 25 db
      So I should in theory get a much better speed than I currently am based on these stats

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Taz
      I get just under 8meg with my attenuation of 48 ish - Your's is lower so you should get far higher than myself.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I thought I would optimise my phone connections before then and have posted some photos of my existing connection. My master socket in the lounge is the very old LJU type and as you can see from the photos, the incoming yellow cable that comes in from outside has strange colours that's connected to terminal 2 (orange/brown) and terminal 5(grey). (The other wires coming from the white cable lead to an extension socket in the kitchen, which I'm going to disconnect these as I don't use this).

I'm looking to purchase an NTE5 master socket like this:

NTE5 Master Socket - With Openreach&#8482 Logo

and a filtered faceplate like this:

XTE-2005 Clone NTE5 ADSL Faceplate

Am I going along the right lines here? Also I would like to know which of the wires from the main yellow cable I connect to which terminal on the NTE5 master socket when I get it.
      Fit the NTE5 where the socket is with the yellow cable coming in.

Use the grey and the orange from the yellow cable to make the connections.

If you then fit the faceplate into the master socket, this will leave you with no extension running to the other socket (where the blue/white and white/blue cables are leading to)

However if you want to use the other socket (where the blue/white and white/blue cables are leading to) then you would need to connect them to the faceplate.

It all depends where yout router is being plugged into tbh as for how to wire up the extension, (where the blue/white and white/blue cables are leading to)

If the router is going where the master socket is, then just plug it into the ADSL section

If the router is going (where the blue/white and white/blue cables are leading to) then you will need to wire it up accordingly.

Have a read of these?

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/XTE20...structions.pdf
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

tazman007 (22-01-12)

tazman007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMALL
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Fit the NTE5 where the socket is with the yellow cable coming in.

Use the grey and the orange from the yellow cable to make the connections.

If you then fit the faceplate into the master socket, this will leave you with no extension running to the other socket (where the blue/white and white/blue cables are leading to)

If the router is going where the master socket is, then just plug it into the ADSL section

I
      Have a read of these?

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/XTE20...structions.pdf
      Many thanks for this. The router is indeed going direct into the master socket in the lounge, and I'll be disconnecting the wires to the extension in the kitchen as we won't need this.

From reading up, I think the orange wire will connect to terminal A on the NTE5 and the grey/white wire to terminal B. Hopefully, this will improve matters regarding my speeds when it all comes together.

Thanks again!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

tbh I don't think it would matter which way round you do it.

Once fitted at least you know that you have the best connection (wiring wise) possible.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Line polarity doesn't matter but A goes to 5 & B goes to 2.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

tazman007 (24-01-12)