Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

'Star' junction box extensions

This is a discussion on 'Star' junction box extensions within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm looking for advice on whether I should change my wiring setup, or let sleeping dogs lie. My setup pre-dates ...

Ilgrazza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02890
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      County Antrim - home of the world's oldest whiskey distillery
      Thanks

'Star' junction box extensions

I'm looking for advice on whether I should change my wiring setup, or let sleeping dogs lie.

My setup pre-dates the days of broadband, and is a little unorthodox. The drop wire enters in the roofspace, then splits into 3 at a juntion box. One limb goes to the master socket (with filtered faceplate); and the other two go to secondary sockets (with filtered faceplates). There are no ringwires connected.

My broadband performance is stable (see stats) but I wonder whether it would improve if I changed the wiring to a more orthodox setup, i.e. wiring the two secondary sockets to the back of the faceplate on the master. There are conduits to run the cables through, but I would still have a few joins in the setup - unavoidably so in the case of the drop wire to the master socket.

The broadband would (as now) probably connect to one of the secondaries.

Advice or comment would be appreciated.

Connection
      Down: 4224 kbps
      Up: 768 kbps

Line Attenuation
      Down: 52.5 dB
      Up: 31.5 dB

Noise Margin
      Down: 6.4 dB (better earlier in the day)
      Up: 12.0 dB

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: 'Star' junction box extensions

Personally I would definitely clean things up. As things are with your connection now you are getting a poor connection speed when compared to the potential speed that you could get. Disconnect the two extensions and see what your new connection stats are like. You will need to reset the router when this has been done.

Check out the tool on this site and punch in your new Line Attenuation to see what I am referring to.

As it stands you are getting a good connection speed for your Line Attenuation, but it has often been proved on here that extensions can affect broadband speeds.

If you need the other extensions, then I would suggest that to sort out where you want the master socket to be, fit a filtered faceplate to it, and run new telephone extension wires from the filtered faceplate to the other two extensions.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Scubbie

Thank you. I'll give it a go. Any recommendations on cable? Should I use cat5e or bog stadard telephone? As to joins, are those little gel connector any better than a junction box, or (if I could do it) would unbroken cable runs be better?

It may be a week or two before I can try this but I shall post back with the results.

Thanks

Cat 5e would be fine if you wanted to run the ADSL link to the extensions, but this may not be the case. Normal telephone wire would be the most cost effective option otherwise.

If you have enough room in the wall, it might be a good idea to consider laying a Cat 5e cable for a LAN cable whilst you are working there. If it were shielded then you shouldn't interfere with the telephone or the telephone with the LAN.

Thanks

Scubbie

Thank you for your help and advice - excellent as always. I had a poke about at the wiring, and the result was surprising. I disconnected both of the extensions at the junction box, and plugged the router into the master socket - the filtered faceplate and then the test socket.

I also tried with just one of the extensions connected and nothing else - making it, in effect, the master socket.

The result....no discernable difference to speed or noise margin.

Intuitively this is odd, but I have decided to leave the wiring alone for now, and wait for Sky to introduce FTTwhatever...

I wonder what the premium will be over and above traditional coal-fired broadband.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ilgrazza View Post
      ...Intuitively this is odd, but I have decided to leave the wiring alone for now,...
      I agree. Normally you would expect to see some change in the Line Attenuation or Noise Margin figures or both.

...and wait for Sky to introduce FTTwhatever...

I wonder what the premium will be over and above traditional coal-fired broadband.
      Thankfully, I guess you could argue, the real premium figures are dropping now.

At least you don't have to put up with 9600 baud . Now that was slow!

Things do apparently look as if they are moving. I would definitely keep any eye on things if I were you...

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-n...tml#post352836

Thanks

Scubbie

I decided to have a go at sorting out the extenstions after all. I removed the extensions that were coming off the 'star' juntions box, leaving the drop cable connected to the master socket, which has a filtered faceplate. The junctions box was still in the line from drop cable to master socket, so I replaced it (sshh, don't tell BT) with a BT80BRF3 (as recommended by Run IT in another post) in case the old junction box was degrading the broadband signal.

The extensions are now wired to the back of the filtered faceplate on the master. The faceplace is the six-way variety, so I installed a dedicated broadband (cat5e) cable which is wired to the broadband connectors (A and B) on the back of the faceplate.

So; the path for the broad band signal is now:

drop cable: BT80BRF3: telephone cable to master socket: cat5e to extenstion socket: cable to router.

And the results......well, not much difference actually.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 18570 23889 0 1476 1286 0:33:17
      LAN Up 34213 25811 0 11129 1221 0:34:00
      WLAN Up 34280 27133 0 3429 3113 0:33:38
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3872 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.5 dB 26.5 dB
      Noise Margin 9.2 dB 12.0 dB

I may have a bit more noise margin (I'll know better tomorrow), but nothing dramatic.

Still, I now have a more othodox setup, and a dedicated broadband extension which hope to be able to use if I opt for fibre.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Thanks

The BT 8-B RF3 junction box is intended for places where there is interference from REIN. It can also reduce you connection speed a little.

With those stats though, I would be tempted to call Sky now and ask someone to see if they can improve you connection speed. Explain that you "have made significant changes to improve your wiring" and ensure that they don't restart the DLM process.

Please beware that not all of Sky's Broadband support staff have access to the systems that allow you to reconfigure a connection. If they can't help you or pass you to some who can, just hang-up and redial. You may need to make two or three calls before you get someone who can do it.

Please post your stats when it has been completed as some miss the upstream connection and it is always nice to see the results.

With your Line Attenuation, you may also be better off on an ADSL1 (G.DMT) connection. Ask the person to check this out too for you.

Router Fan Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Scubbie
      I may have a bit more noise margin (I'll know better tomorrow), but nothing dramatic.
      The best time to restart the router is between 11 AM and 2PM: the atmospheric noise is at it's lowest between these times, and therefore you will be able to get the best sync speed.

I hope that helps.