Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have I understood this right?

This is a discussion on Have I understood this right? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, After trawling through the Sky help pages, the Internet and of course this forum, I've decided to sign up ...

skynz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Have I understood this right?

Hello,

After trawling through the Sky help pages, the Internet and of course this forum, I've decided to sign up as this forum has by far been the most helpful and useful resource for troubleshooting an issue that I am currently facing.

So, a quick summary of my issue...

- Am a new Sky customer (Broadband and Talk Unlimited)
      - Activation date was set for yesterday
      - Connected everything as per Sky instructions to socket in lounge
      - No '@' light / Internet connection light appearing on router
      - Connected telephone on the same socket, dial tone received...so telephone line ok.
      - Tried connecting router to master socket in bedroom. Still no '@' light / Internet connection light
      - Connected telephone to master socket, dial tone received...sockets and telephone line ok.
      - Waited till 1am this morning to see if it was still happening (apparently, your activation may not happen till 8pm or 12am of your activation date - depending on which Sky help page you read)
      - Still no '@' light / Internet connection light when tested against either sockets
      - Plugged router to master test socket in bedroom...lo and behold, '@' light / Internet connection light comes on...Internet connection established!
      - Plugged telephone (with filter) to other socket in lounge...no dial tone
      - Unplugged router from master test socket in bedroom and plugged telephone back in to socket in lounge...works fine!
      - Plugged telephone to master socket...works fine!
      - Plugged router to socket in lounge...no '@' light / Internet connection light
      - Plugged router to master test socket in bedroom again...Internet works fine.
      - Plug telephone to filter that the router is connected to, works fine!

So, what is the situation and what is my problem?

- I have 2 sockets at home, one in the lounge and one in the bedroom (where the master socket is - based on the fact that I can remove the faceplate)
      - The router only establishes an Internet connection if it is plugged to the test socket in the bedroom. This is not ideal as the wireless signal is not optimal i.e. I get a low signal when connecting wirelessly from the lounge. The bedroom is situated at one end of the house behind 4 walls of concrete.
      - The telephone only works if it is plugged into
      a) the filter that the router is connected to in the master test socket
      b) directly to the master test socket
      - From what I have read on the forums, the telephone is not meant to work in the socket in the lounge whilst I have something connected to the master test socket...something about having split the connection?

So the two main issues for me is poor wireless signal from having to locate my router in the bedroom and reduced accessibility to my wired telephone having to me located in the bedroom too.

Although the later could be addressed with a cordless phone, I would rather not have to go there.

I would highly appreciate any input and feedback that you all may have regarding the above. Ideally, I want my router to be situated in the lounge as that is the area where it will be mainly accessed from (wirelessly).

Lastly, another alternative I am considering is to attach a spare D-Link wireless router that I have to the Sky router (via 10 metres of CAT5) and have that serve out wireless in the home instead. Not ideal, as cabling will be unsightly.

Any ideas??? Does this imply that the socket in the lounge has been wired incorrectly? Ideas please!!!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Have I understood this right?

With the test socket exposed all other sockets in the property should be dead as they are wired to the faceplate you removed when exposing the test socket. If this is what happens then everything is wired correctly.

However, if connection to the Internet is flakey outside the test socket then the internal wiring is faulty somewhere on the circuit. Ideally, BB should be set up at the master socket using a filtered faceplate which basically isolates the BB to the master socket so no other sockets require a filter.

As it appears the internal wiring is faulty then this is your responsibility to fix. Homeplugs might be a decent option in your case as you can then leave the router in the master (with a filtered faceplate) and still have WiFi in use using a Homeplugs WiFi kit
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your very prompt and helpful response

I've taken photos of the wiring at the master test socket as well as the socket in the lounge.

From what I've read in the forums and various how-to wiring guides, it doesn't appear to have been wired correctly - but this is purely based on the expected colour-coded wires and what they are attached to. I.e. Orange/White and White/Orange wires are connected at the master test socket and the one in the lounge to 2 and 5 respectively only.

If I was able to upload these photos, would you or anyone else in the forums be able to provide a quick analysis?

And apologies for my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with what Homeplugs are. Are they effectively like a wireless repeater/extender? - Actually, just 'Googled' it...basically ethernet over power right?

Thanks.

Thanks

HomePlug & Powerline - from 85Mbps - 16.18 ::: 200Mbps - 20.74

As for wiring, ultimately so long as the same wires go the corresponding jumper point then it'll work. They just use a system so make it easy to re-wire

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

On a slightly different area of focus...as I can't get an Internet connection when using the socket on the front of the master socket, will this most likely point to a faulty faceplate? Or would how that faceplate has been wired most likely be the issue?

A quick visual of my set up is as follows:

(See attached diagram)

KEY
      Lounge Socket (LS)
      Bedroom Master Socket (MBS)
      Disc (Disconnected - not attached to anything)
      A (Connected to A on the master faceplate socket)
      B (Connected to B on the master faceplate socket)

With the white/green and green/white wires not attached to anything on the lounge socket (LS), would that be the issue? Given that those same wires are attached to A and B on the master socket faceplate?

Just a guess from an informed user.

Thanks once again.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have I understood this right?-connections.jpg  

Thanks

Whoever wired it decided to use the orange/white cables as opposed to the normal blue/white but it's still wired correctly from what I can see

And yes, if the master socket (with front screwed on) doesn't connect to the Internet then the faceplate is faulty. Get a filtered faceplate and you're sorted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

skynz (06-01-12)

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As above, which pair is used does not matter, what does matter is they are a PAIR. If you have one blue & one orange used on 2 & 5 then you have what we call a split pair. This is very bad for ADSL.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

skynz (06-01-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks guys, you're really helping in building my understanding of how this stuff works.

One last query (I'm hoping it's the last) just to complete my understanding of things...

When you have an extension from the master socket to another socket I.e. in my case, the other socket in the lounge, can an extension socket only be wired for either voice or adsl, but not both?

As I understand it, by wiring the same coloured pairs on the master socket faceplate and the extension socket (in the 2 and 5 positions), then the extension should work (barring faulty faceplates, faulty wires etc).

And what is the purpose of the wires green/white and white/green wires connected to A and B on the master test socket? If my broadband only works on the test socket, does that mean that I would need those same set of green/white and white/green wires to be connected on the extension socket somewhere?

By the way, my master socket faceplate is one of these:
      http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTNTE5ADSLfaceplate.html

On a different note, I'm fairly pleased with the speeds I'm getting...considering it's only day 3 of my activation.
      16MB - 17MB DL
      0.8MB UL
      6.9db SNR
      11.x LA - this means I'm fairly close to an exchange right?

Thanks in advance.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skynz View Post
      When you have an extension from the master socket to another socket I.e. in my case, the other socket in the lounge, can an extension socket only be wired for either voice or adsl, but not both?

As I understand it, by wiring the same coloured pairs on the master socket faceplate and the extension socket (in the 2 and 5 positions), then the extension should work (barring faulty faceplates, faulty wires etc).

And what is the purpose of the wires green/white and white/green wires connected to A and B on the master test socket? If my broadband only works on the test socket, does that mean that I would need those same set of green/white and white/green wires to be connected on the extension socket somewhere?
      Extensions can be voice and ADSL, what can confuse is when you use a filtered faceplate if the extension is wired to 2, 3 & 5 then ADSL will not work on that extension-the ADSL signal has been filtered off. This is why we have the 6 way version-you connect a pair to A & B(unfiltered connections) so that extension still has the ADSL signal on it, because you are only using a pair (no ring wire) ADSL perfomance is not affected.

The green pair on A & B(on the REAR of the NTE5) at present is the incoming line-ADSL is present on the line pair along with voice-it's the filtered faceplate that strips the ADSL signal out.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Just a thought - are you connecting to the master faceplate using a plug in filter? If so that accounts for the lack of ADSL as it is filtered out on the phone side. You should be plugging direct into the RJ socket.

If you want to extend the ADSL to the extension, remove the existing wires from the AB faceplate terminals and connect the orange/white/orange wires to the AB terminals. The wire connecting to the No 5 terminal on the extension should be on the A terminal in the faceplate and No 2 on the B. You will have to use a filter on the extension.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast