Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with my internet, its so slow.

This is a discussion on Help with my internet, its so slow. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. I have extremely slow internet as seen below. Also my router stats and distance from exchange. I need ...

AshFR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Orange
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help with my internet, its so slow.

Hi all. I have extremely slow internet as seen below. Also my router stats and distance from exchange. I need help please to try a speed it up. Im meant to be getting 8mb from orange (free unlimited broadband as i have a mobile phone contract). Ive put up with this speed for 4 years now and its really getting on my nerves now. Ive disconnected the bell wire from my master socket (which is a 1970's style old little square one with a T in the corner) Can anyone help me please? Im an electrician by trade so im thinking about putting a NTE5a socket in but will it make any difference? Thank you all very much and if any more info is needed thats no problem.

Heres my connection box and master socket along with test results.

Last edited by AshFR; 06-01-12 at 02:03 PM.

2. Advertisement
      AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Help with my internet, its so slow.

That's a really old junction box but someone has used a modern crosshead screw to fix it down.
      The incoming line looks reasonable.
      The outgoing quite old.

How far is it between the junction box and the master socket?

The master socket is a mess.
      I can't see the cables and individual wires well but the blue wire going to the right hand side of terminal 5 is not correctly installed,it should come from the left.

Non standard colours used for your extension(s).
      Normally blue/white in 2,white/blue in 5 and orange/white 3.
      Who knows if the extension socket is wired correctly.

You say you have removed the ring wire but the orange is still connected.

I don't know Orange but all services are 'up to xxx' depending on line length and other conditions.
      It looks like it it is some form of resold BT service.
      With a 30dB downstream noise margin you have the potential for much higher speed.
      It's probably your internal wiring causing the problem.

Replace the old junction box with a modern one.
      Run COPPER CW1306 cable to a new NTE5 master socket fitted with a filtered faceplate and plug your router into that.
      Connect your extensions to the filtered terminals on the back of the new faceplate preferably bring them up to conventional wiring layout to avoid confusing people in the future.

Job done.
      Then get in touch with your ISP and get them to up your speeds.

Just note that anything up to the master socket is BT's responsibilty and technically your shouldn't touch it.
      However if a workmanlike job is done using conventional wiring colours only the most ultra picky Openreach engineer might object.

Andy

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJG View Post
      That's a really old junction box but someone has used a modern crosshead screw to fix it down.
      The incoming line looks reasonable.
      The outgoing quite old.

How far is it between the junction box and the master socket?

The master socket is a mess.
      I can't see the cables and individual wires well but the blue wire going to the right hand side of terminal 5 is not correctly installed,it should come from the left.

Non standard colours used for your extension(s).
      Normally blue/white in 2,white/blue in 5 and orange/white 3.
      Who knows if the extension socket is wired correctly.

You say you have removed the ring wire but the orange is still connected.

I don't know Orange but all services are 'up to xxx' depending on line length and other conditions.
      It looks like it it is some form of resold BT service.
      With a 30dB downstream noise margin you have the potential for much higher speed.
      It's probably your internal wiring causing the problem.

Replace the old junction box with a modern one.
      Run COPPER CW1306 cable to a new NTE5 master socket fitted with a filtered faceplate and plug your router into that.
      Connect your extensions to the filtered terminals on the back of the new faceplate preferably bring them up to conventional wiring layout to avoid confusing people in the future.

Job done.
      Then get in touch with your ISP and get them to up your speeds.

Just note that anything up to the master socket is BT's responsibilty and technically your shouldn't touch it.
      However if a workmanlike job is done using conventional wiring colours only the most ultra picky Openreach engineer might object.

Andy
      The junction box is just above, about half a meter from the master socket. Yep it sure is that why i want to get a nte5a box to try and sort it out a bit. Do you think i will benefit from a nte5a box? I thought if the bell wire is removed, theres no need for a nte5a box. I think i took that picture before i removed the bell wire, but ive definatly removed it and it made no difference what so ever. So should i order a nte5a box and give that a try? Thanks.

Thanks

The NTE5A only filters the bell wire any extensions are still connected directly to the incoming line.

I can't say for sure that your internal wiring is causing your problems but for a few minutes work and relatively few pounds you can fit a new junction box,NTE5 and filtered faceplate.
      You will then know that your side of the setup is up to scratch.
      You also have the advantage that you don't have to use micro-filters.

I've just realised that I've assumed that your router is plugged into the master socket.
      If not you can get a filtered faceplate with ADSL passthrough and run a dedicated line to your router position.

Andy

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJG View Post
      The NTE5A only filters the bell wire any extensions are still connected directly to the incoming line.

I can't say for sure that your internal wiring is causing your problems but for a few minutes work and relatively few pounds you can fit a new junction box,NTE5 and filtered faceplate.
      You will then know that your side of the setup is up to scratch.
      You also have the advantage that you don't have to use micro-filters.

I've just realised that I've assumed that your router is plugged into the master socket.
      If not you can get a filtered faceplate with ADSL passthrough and run a dedicated line to your router position.

Andy
      So it it worth putting one in now ive disconnected the bell wire? My router is plugged in to an extension upstairs but im more than happy to move it to the master socket if that helps. I tried it before but didnt make a difference. Maybe a NTE5a will? Thanks.

Thanks

It may work OK with just the bell wire disconnected but looking at the state of your wiring I wouldn't hold your breath.

Andy

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

As Andy says you could do worse than replace that lot!

(1) Junction box BT 80A Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors)
      (2) NTE5 NTE5 BT Openreach Type Socket (NTE5A with bellwire filter)
      (3) ADSL Faceplate BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version
      (4) CW1308 (proper!) cable Cable

If you want to keep the router on an extension then this is the best kit for that :-

NTE2000 ADSL Extension Kit, 10M

The alternative is to run CW1308 cable & use this socket. (the second solution allows the connection of a phone AND router on the ADSL extension).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I dont fancy running another cable upstairs so i will just put the router downstairs with master socket. Why will changing the junction box help though? Its built in to the window frame so i really dont want to remove it and put a different one there. Just wondering if it wired correctly or enough wires. The only cables connected are:

Main cable to junction: 1 White and 1 Orange

Junction to master socket: 1 Blue (NOT PRESENT AT JUNCTION), 1 Purple, 1 Green (NOT PRESENT AT JUNCTION) and 1 Orange (Pin 2 for Orange, Pin 3 for Blue, Pin 3 for Green, Pin 5 for Purple)

Master socket to extension: 1 Green + White band and 1 Blue + White band (Pin 2 for green + white, Pin 5 for blue + white)

My question is why is there a Blue and Green connected to master socket from junction box even though they are not connected at junction box, tbh, i cannot see them at junction box and seem to be coming from the same cable?

Just disconnected the green wire in Master socket, made no difference to anything, internet, phone line, nothing. However when i disconnected the Blue wire the internet stopped so i know the blue wire in Pin 3 is for the internet.

Just did a ping test aswell. Thats seems fine.

Thanks.
      Last edited by AshFR; 06-01-12 at 02:03 PM.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Pin 3 is the ring wire, this will not affect Internet or dial tone. So if your internet goes off(did you lose DT?) when you disconnect pin 3 you have issues! Personally I'd replace the junction box, it can help as the old one is VERY old and maye have HR issues.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Before doing anything you might want to call Sky and ask them if they can raise your speed. You have exceptionally high noise margins both up and down. There is room there for an increase to something like 10-11Mb, without touching your wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast