Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Faceplate wiring colours

This is a discussion on Faceplate wiring colours within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, This is my first post on the forum but I have been lurking for a while trying to ...

Irenec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rutherglen
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Faceplate wiring colours

Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum but I have been lurking for a while trying to find an answer to my problem so I hope someone can answer my question, I have bought a new filtered faceplate for my master socket, on the original face plate there are only 3 slots for wires and the wire colours are blue, green and red, the new faceplate has 7 slots and the instuctions tell me to put the white with blue rings wire into slot 5, orange with white rings into slot 3 and blue with white rings into slot 2 I'm really confused about the colours and don't know what original wire colours go into which slots in the new faceplate. I'm really sorry about this post being so long winded but I'm at the end of my tether with this.

Thanks

Irene

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Faceplate wiring colours

okay,

there are numbered and lettered slots in the new face plate. The letters AB are only for extending the unfiltered part of the signal. This is so you can extend the broadband line, say if you wanted to have your router upstairs.

The numbers are for the telephone extensions. that is the extensions for anything not needing broadband. The sky box's telephone point, the telephone, answering machines, fax machines and possibly house alarms.

If you have hauled all the wires out the back of the old master socket you need to do the following.

1. Go to the extension box that the wires go to from the master socket.
      2. Carefully unscrew the front of the box and write down the wire colour and number it is plugged in to.
      3. Replace the front cover.
      4. Take your piece of paper to the new face plate at the master socket.
      5. Copy the written instructions, putting the wire colour in the correct numbered slot. - Use a proper tool to push the wire in properly.
      6. Job done.

You should now plug your router into the front of this filtered box.
      You should also remove any hanging filters from around the house. The face plate is doing that now.

Hope this helps.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to newbuilder For This Useful Post:

Irenec (20-11-11)

Irenec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rutherglen
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Thanks Newbuilder, I got someone in today to do this for me I'm not very confident messing about with wires unless it's really straight forward, speeds are still really slow but I'll get in contact with Sky about that.

Cheers

irene

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Maybe if you post your stats we will be able to give some advice before you do battle with the Sky help desk
      How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.