Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Constant Disconnections

This is a discussion on Constant Disconnections within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm hoping some bright sparks will be able to help me with my problem. Basically for about a year ...

lawler_09 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Constant Disconnections

Hi,

I'm hoping some bright sparks will be able to help me with my problem.

Basically for about a year now we've suffered from constant disconnections, requiring the router to be turned off and on to pick up a connection again which it does straight away. (No problems for the previous 5 years or so before then)

This happens randomly and can go days without showing to 5 times a day.

We used to get 11-13mb but now since these disconnections it's 9mb.

I'd be more than happy with 9mb if it wasn't for these disconnections. I play xbox live and getting kicked out of games or having it lag like crazy is becoming tiresome, and about ready to ring Sky and ask for some help.

Before i do that i thought i would ask for some help and see if you guys know anything that might be wrong!!

The one thing i do know is is that we have no test socket.

I've also done a drawing of the wiring we have cause i've never been sure if its correct!

And stats currently from my router are: (I've also tested with the router in different positions and nothing else plugged in, these results are in brackets and bold)

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 9216Kb 966Kb

Noise Margin 7 (6-12) 8 (6-8)

Output power(dBm) 124 (124) 186 (183-186)

Attenuation(dB) 36 19 (19-20)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Constant Disconnections

The most glaring problem is the telephone extension to your router.

ADSL2+ (which is what you have) is more susceptible to problems on extensions than ADSL.

Personally I would change the faceplate for a filtered faceplate. Plug the router in the filtered ADSL socket and run any extensions from the filtered telephone socket.

You will need an NTE5 socket to be able to fit a filtered face plate. Read this article for more information:

Sky User - Which ADSL Faceplate Filter?

To prove/disprove how effective this option would be, plug a filter into the Test Socket. Check the stats with only the router connected. Next run your extensions from the filtered telephone socket and check the stats again.

Post each of them up so that someone can comment on what is happening. I wouldn't expect a huge increase in the connection speed, I would be looking at all the other figures.

"...but what about accessing the Internet?" I hear you cry!

Simple: If WiFi signal strength is the problem, then there is one set of solutions, if it is a wired connection, then there are another set of solutions. If you want a combination, then again another set of solutions exist.

Take a look at the following threads for some ideas:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...e-network.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply!

Would getting one of these faceplates be my best option? And is it easy to do?

Also you mention trying it in a test socket, i dont actually have one. Just the one.

You also mention about the extension lead from my router to my master socket being an issue. I have tried it without the extension lead and have had the router plugged directly into the master socket by itself, and the problem still existed

Thanks

Take a look at the link below. It talks about the Master Socket and the Test Socket:

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Not everyone has the NTE5 Socket, which has a split faceplate, so it is important to establish this first.

Again, if you can plug the router into either the Master Socket or both and post the stats, there may be something which we can spot in the figures that you missed.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again for the reply.

I've read the link and i can confirm again after looking that there is no test socket under the face plate. Just the main one.

And stats currently from my router are: (I've also tested with the router in different positions and nothing else plugged in, these results are in brackets and bold)

Downstream Upstream

Noise Margin 7 (6-12) 8 (6-8)

Output power(dBm) 124 (124) 186 (183-186)

Attenuation(dB) 36 19 (19-20)

kimc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pontefract
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

You don't actually need your sky boxes connected to phone line, our isn't and we haven't encountered any problems

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lawler_09 View Post
      I've read the link and i can confirm again after looking that there is no test socket under the face plate. Just the main one.
      No problem. Underneath the faceplate is the a capacitor (typically a yellow one) about the size of a AAA battery? This is to confirm that it is the Master Socket. There have been occasions when the master socket has been found hiding somewhere obscure.

As for the stats, your layout has confused me a little. Could you just post the raw figures please? Use the 'php' box (look at the icons above the text box when posting) to get the layout nice and clear.

What I am thinking is the following:

• You could plug a single microfilter into the master socket and run each extension off the phone socket in that microfilter
      • You could get the master socket changed for an NTE5 socket and then fit a filtered faceplate as well

Changing the master socket isn't for everyone, but it is a relatively easy DIY task, although BTO doesn't like people doing it for themselves. A socket would cost under 7, the filtered faceplate under 11 and an IDC tool either 61p or 6.12.

(Prices based on run-IT-direct's website)

Before going down this route, it would be a good idea to trace the wiring from the socket to the outside. There may be something else, such as a BT Junction Box which might need tidying up.

Quote Originally Posted by kimc View Post
      You don't actually need your sky boxes connected to phone line, our isn't and we haven't encountered any problems
      Actually unless something has specifically been done by the Sky Installation Engineer, yes you do. If you have a Multi-room set up and Sky gets each STB to call home, then you could end up being charged for a whole extra subscription.

I am aware that some people are able to get away with not connecting bother STBs to the telephone line, but others have found a rather large bill when they haven't.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Again many thanks for the replies! Maybe i'll get to the bottom of this!

Yes i can confirm the yellow thingy is there to confirm it as the master socket.

As for my stats, apologies! My current stats are:

Downstream Upstream

Noise Margin 8 8

Output power(dBm) 124 186

Attenuation(dB) 36 19

Thanks

The noise margin in those stats is slightly above Sky's target of 7dB. This indicates that you should get a small increase by using the master socket.

Did you have any luck by checking to see if you have a BT or BTO Junction box between your master socket and the outside line? If you do, few pics would be appreciated (inside) to show which version it is and the state of the wiring.

If you have no junction box, then give Sky a friendly call to see if someone can improve your connection speed. Explain that you have improved the wiring in you home and there is now room to improve the connection speed.

Please be aware that not each member of Sky's support team has access to the systems to change your connection settings. If they can't pass you to someone who can, just call again.

Also please do post the revised stats afterwards as some do forget to sort out the upstream connection as well. This is just as important as the downstream speed.

kimc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pontefract
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Sorry, didn't realise a phone connection was needed for multi room. We just have the one box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast