Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By reddwarfcrew

Home Plugs Query

This is a discussion on Home Plugs Query within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just had a new garage built at the bottom of the garden and this evening I decided to set up ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Home Plugs Query

Just had a new garage built at the bottom of the garden and this evening I decided to set up a sound system in it.
      All my music etc is stored on the main pc and my idea was to access this in the garage via the laptop/netbook ( whichever I can wrestle out of the wife/daughters lap ) over wireless.
      However, the wireless signal in the garage is pants and this proved unworkable.
      I initially considered homeplugs but I dont think these will work as the garage is supplied via the non rcd protected side of a split load consumer unit and obviously the house circuits are from the rcd side.
      Just interested to see if anyone agrees with my theory that they wont work.
      Running a ethernet into the garage is no problem as I have ducts running to it anyway and this would be the cheaper option as I have a reel of cat5 anyway.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      My first question...... was the garage purpose built as your hideaway to listen to your music? When is the 65in plasma being installed and how did you manage to get that one by the missus?!?!?

Not sure about the power line question, but if you have some cat5 and it's easy to get it into the garage then do that and forget the power line option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      dholdi and Scubbie like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reddwarfcrew For This Useful Post:

dholdi (30-09-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Home Plugs Query

Running the LAN cable would IMHO be a better long-term solution. You wouldn't have the worry of ensuring that everything is plugged in.

I can't say 100% whether the HomePlugs would work. I could only suggest trial & error.

I would be tempted to run Cat 5e myself as it would prove better for the longer term.

What would worry me is if the ducting is used already for other cabling. You should keep cables of different voltages separate. The LAN cable is also likely to pick up radio interference if it is running alongside other cable of a distance, particularly if it isn't shielded.

I would also consider using a couple of ferrous rings, one at each end, just to ensure that no interference is picked up. I realise that this is probably a little OTT, but it wouldn't cause any harm.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dholdi (30-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      My first question...... was the garage purpose built as your hideaway to listen to your music? When is the 65in plasma being installed and how did you manage to get that one by the missus?!?!?

Not sure about the power line question, but if you have some cat5 and it's easy to get it into the garage then do that and forget the power line option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Lol, no it was built for a car restoration project but you have to have tunes when your working. Still working on the tv

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Running the LAN cable would IMHO be a better long-term solution. You wouldn't have the worry of ensuring that everything is plugged in.

I can't say 100% whether the HomePlugs would work. I could only suggest trial & error.

I would be tempted to run Cat 5e myself as it would prove better for the longer term.

What would worry me is if the ducting is used already for other cabling. You should keep cables of different voltages separate. The LAN cable is also likely to pick up radio interference if it is running alongside other cable of a distance, particularly if it isn't shielded.

I would also consider using a couple of ferrous rings, one at each end, just to ensure that no interference is picked up. I realise that this is probably a little OTT, but it wouldn't cause any harm.
      I've got seperate ducts for power and alarm cables so the cat5 can go in with the alarm.
      I probably worded the query wrongly as I dont intend using homeplugs, but did wonder if they would work in this application. I dont know which of the live, neutral or earth a homeplug uses for data transfer, the live and neutrals are seperated in a split load board but they both share a common earth terminal rail.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Your wording was fine. I know that you're a good contributor, but I didn't know how well you were aware of the potential for interference which is why I mentioned it.

Knowing that the most manufacturers tend to make things which can work in countries without earth on the mains, I would guess that they use the positive and negative terminals only. Having said that, the PowerLine adaptors which I have have a metal earth pin.

I would also seriously consider covering the vents with something to filter any dust if you haven't already done so. Ask your wife if she has any old 15 denier tights that you can use if you don't have anything else suitable.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dholdi (30-09-11)

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No postitive or negative on an AC system If you have ducts just install CAT5. Note that you should use external grade CAT5 as internal is not rated for duct use, it will work fine but for how long is another matter.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

dholdi (30-09-11)

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Homeplugs need (obviously) to be on the same phase.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

dholdi (30-09-11)

Thanks

Cheers for the input everyone.
      Hadnt considered the external cable tho, runit I will have to check your website.