Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My filtered faceplate does not fit. Can anyone help ?

This is a discussion on My filtered faceplate does not fit. Can anyone help ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I bought one off Amazon a few months back and fitted it without a problem downstairs. However, I have bought ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My filtered faceplate does not fit. Can anyone help ?

I bought one off Amazon a few months back and fitted it without a problem downstairs.

However, I have bought another to fit to another phone socket on my landing which is solely connected to a sky box but the faceplate will not fit.

The phone socket downstairs had the 1 to 5 connectors but the upstairs one just has A and B. When I take take the front off the socket and line up the new one, the sides of the new one line up exactly with the existing one so it won't slide into position (I hope I have explained that properly). I thought filtered faceplate were universal but maybe not ?

Even though I have filtered faceplate downstairs and my upstairs one runs off it via an extension lead, then I still definitely need either a microfilter or filtered faceplate upstairs ?

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: My filtered faceplate does not fit. Can anyone help ?

You require only one filtered faceplate which should be fitted to your master socket unless you have a junction box somewhere feeding an entirely different circuit

Just make sure the filtered faceplate at your master socket is wired properly. You can check it by attaching your router to your extension socket upstairs. Your router should not be able to connect as the broadband signal should be filtered out downstairs.

No micro filters are required on your extensions when you use a filtered faceplate.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Filtered faceplate or filtered faceplate for NTE5? There is a difference!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Filtered faceplate or filtered faceplate for NTE5? There is a difference!
      It is this one

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0030BC2PW/ref=oss_product]ADSL FacePlate Filter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

which is an NTE5 one

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      You require only one filtered faceplate which should be fitted to your master socket unless you have a junction box somewhere feeding an entirely different circuit

Just make sure the filtered faceplate at your master socket is wired properly. You can check it by attaching your router to your extension socket upstairs. Your router should not be able to connect as the broadband signal should be filtered out downstairs.

No micro filters are required on your extensions when you use a filtered faceplate.
      The lead that runs off upstairs and feeds the upstairs socket comes from inside the downstairs one i.e. before it is filtered so this is why I thought the upstairs one had to be filtered ?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

With filtered faceplates you have two options for running your extensions. You can either filter them or leave them unfiltered. You should filter them ideally.

On the faceplate I use, terminals 2 and 5 are to be used if you want your extensions to be filtered i.e voice only. If you want them to be unfiltered then terminals A and B are used.

If you are confused open up your downstairs socket and post a clear picture of the wiring on back of the plate. We should be able to help you from there.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      With filtered faceplates you have two options for running your extensions. You can either filter them or leave them unfiltered. You should filter them ideally.

On the faceplate I use, terminals 2 and 5 are to be used if you want your extensions to be filtered i.e voice only. If you want them to be unfiltered then terminals A and B are used.

If you are confused open up your downstairs socket and post a clear picture of the wiring on back of the plate. We should be able to help you from there.
      Downstairs socket - connectors labelled 1 to 6 - only 2 and 5 used
      Upstairs socket - connectors labelled A and B

I have plugged the sky lead directly into the upstairs socket now without the microfilter. The sky box is connected ok but my broadband speed has dropped a little.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Why not leave the router where it is and run an Ethernet connection to your Sky STB?

There are a variety of choices that you could adopt. For example a pair of HomePlugs or a long Ethernet cable.

Take a look at the document in this thread for more information:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...e-network.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      It is this one

ADSL FacePlate Filter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

which is an NTE5 one
      All faceplates for the NTE5 should fit all NTE5 variants. Why have you got two NTE5's? If the master socket is in use then you should fit a filtered faceplate there(as you have), if you need ADSL and telephone upstairs then you would then connect one of these sockets via the A & B connections on the socket downstairs, if you just need telephone then you should just use a standard secondary socket upstairs and wire this via 2, 3 & 5 on the faceplate downstairs. You can happily (correctly) connect pin 3 as the filtered faceplate isolates the bell wire from the ADSL signal. However a second NTE5 and filtered faceplate will work but may cause problems with any automated line testing. Can you post a picture of the fitment issue? Seems very strange to be honest.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      All faceplates for the NTE5 should fit all NTE5 variants. Why have you got two NTE5's? If the master socket is in use then you should fit a filtered faceplate there(as you have), if you need ADSL and telephone upstairs then you would then connect one of these sockets via the A & B connections on the socket downstairs, if you just need telephone then you should just use a standard secondary socket upstairs and wire this via 2, 3 & 5 on the faceplate downstairs. You can happily (correctly) connect pin 3 as the filtered faceplate isolates the bell wire from the ADSL signal. However a second NTE5 and filtered faceplate will work but may cause problems with any automated line testing. Can you post a picture of the fitment issue? Seems very strange to be honest.
      The first two pictures are my downstairs socket and the next 3 are my upstairs ones. I hope this makes it a little clearer. Thanks.

My filtered faceplate does not fit. Can anyone help ?-2011-09-23-09.06.35.jpg

My filtered faceplate does not fit. Can anyone help ?-2011-09-23-09.07.02.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast