Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New build house, no NTE5

This is a discussion on New build house, no NTE5 within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just moved into a new build house, which has a slightly different wiring setup than I'm used to. I'm ...

Kansalis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMHY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New build house, no NTE5

I just moved into a new build house, which has a slightly different wiring setup than I'm used to. I'm no longer in a Virgin fiber area, so couldn't keep my 50mb connection unfortunately.

There's a BT Openreach box outside the front door at ground level, similar to how Virgin junction boxes look. Inside the house there is no NTE5 socket, but in every room there's a either a standard phone socket or a huge multi-function power/satellite/aerial/phone integrated faceplate.

My main question: Is there a better-than-normal filter I can plug in to a 'standard' phone socket? In my experience, the ones supplied with ADSL routers are ropey at best! I do have a third-party faceplate (bought years ago from ADSLNation I think), but obviously I can't use that now...

As it's a new house I'm hoping the wiring is of a good standard, but with 7 (yes, seven) phone sockets littered around, there's potential for issues there. Is there any kind of testing I can do to establish which socket it the 'best' to plug my router into? I guess I can plug it in and get the stats from the router for each one, but I'm hoping someone else may have experience of a similar setup.

I just got my router in the post, with activation due tomorrow. I like to get prepared in advance
      Kansalis

2. Advertisement
      AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New build house, no NTE5

You have my sympathies.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kansalis View Post
      As it's a new house I'm hoping the wiring is of a good standard,
      Dream on (possibly).

With an external NTE you have no easy way of isolating your internal wiring and with seven sockets they may give problems with ADSL.

Other than taking all the faceplates off and finding the one which the incoming cable connects to first and replacing that with an NTE5 (probably not good from an aesthetic point of view) it will be trial and error.

You may find there is no difference between the sockets and you get good speed for your attenuation but you may not.

Sorry I can't be more helpful it's a case of suck it and see (without major exploration of your wiring).

Andy

Thanks

That's what I was worried about... On the plus side, the builders/electricians etc are still on site as I've moved into one of the first houses to be completed.

They have been very helpful so far, so if I do have any issues they'll probably help me out on the internal wiring side of things. They're still building some identical houses right now, so with a bit of luck someone will know the routing layout of the internal cabling.
      Kansalis

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You need to fit an XTF-85, preferably to the first socket on the line. If the first socket is poorly situated and difficult to use for the router or a phone, then the second on the line would be the best choice. This will isolate all sockets downstream from the XTF.

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

That looks like it may be a workable solution, thanks.

My suspicion is that the first socket is the one in the under-stairs cupboard, which isn't particularly well placed for wireless connectivity. I've tested my powerline adapters by streaming from my home server (1st floor) to my xbox (ground floor) and the throughput seems ok. If I can get a decent wireless signal with the router hidden under the stairs, I may be able to use the powerline setup for the PCs upstairs...
      Kansalis

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

We've many customers who have done this. As above you need to find the socket that is fed from the XNTE. Replace that with an NTE5 and fit a filtered faceplate. If you are lucky the 1st one is in the ideal place, if it is not then it depends on the wiring configuration, if all wire back to the 1st socket (unlikely) then it is easy again, if all sockets are daisy chained (likely) then you have the choice of wiring a new extension to where you want the router to be or using power line adaptors.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

BTW, many builders/electricians are using the cheapest cable they can get, in many cases this means CCS or CCA rather than pure copper, this KILLS ADSL performance which is why in these situations you want to wire to the socket that is directly connected to the XNTE.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      CCS or CCA rather than pure copper,
      I hadn't come across these terms before.
      Google reveals that CCA is Copper Clad Aluminium and I'm assuming that CCS rather than being a 1970s band is Copper Clad Steel.

Kansalis.
      Looks like you're on top of things.
      With the sparks still on site knowing cable routings should be easy to find.
      It can be a problem when you only have faceplates visible.

Andy

Exchange:
      Thanks

Correct. And the cable that is one or the other being sold as "CW1308" is on the increase! One customer found out after he had installed it all, it killed the ADSL over even short runs.

Thanks

Thanks for the pointers, certainly useful info there.

I'll take a look behind a faceplate & see what I'm up against. I assume it's fairly obvious and easy to identify CCA/CCS over 'proper' copper cables?
      Kansalis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast