Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where is my master socket?

This is a discussion on Where is my master socket? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've just moved house and signed up for Broadband unlimited (been connected for about a week), but I'm struggling ...

andrews65 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Granton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: no TV
      Thanks

Where is my master socket?

Hi,

I've just moved house and signed up for Broadband unlimited (been connected for about a week), but I'm struggling to identify which telephone socket is the master socket. I can see the external BT cable go into the house just above ground level at the back. Inside, I can find five phone sockets:

Downstairs: NTE5 socket and 'normal' (non-split face) socket in lounge (which is at front of the house).
      Upstairs: Normal socket in upstairs landing (at front of house). NTE5 socket in bedroom 1 (front of house). Normal socket in bedroom 2 (back of house).

I removed the faceplates from both the NTE5's, tested, and here is what I found:

Test socket in lounge NTE5 is live.
      Second lounge socket is dead.
      Test socket in bedroom 1 NTE5 is dead.
      Both other upstairs sockets are live.

My understanding is that if an NTE5 has its faceplate removed, there is no way it can transmit signals onwards to any of the phone network that happens to be downstream. So based in this I deduced that my master socket had to be one of the two 'normal' upstairs sockets. However when I look inside those sockets neither has a capacitor.

I have no real clues without raising carpets (and floorboards?) to work out where the incoming cable goes after entering the house at the back. I can't see the inside point where it enters; I've looked in cupboards and in the loft for phone wiring or for another socket or box that might be where the BT drop wire ends and my wiring begins, but have found nothing else.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try to identify the master socket?

thanks in advance .. Andrew.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Where is my master socket?

It looks like you have a strange bit of wiring.

Test socket in lounge NTE5 is live.
      I would say this is your master socket.
      Second lounge socket is dead.
      This will be fed from the faceplate of the Master socket
      Test socket in bedroom 1 NTE5 is dead.
      This must be fed from the faceplate of the master socket.
      Both other upstairs sockets are live.
      These must be fed from a junction box you have not found or from the AB terminals of the master socket.

Remove the inner plate from the Master socket by removing the 2 screws. Look at the main AB terminals on the rear, there should be one wire connected to each terminal, if there is more, these are feeding your 'live' sockets.

If there is only one wire on the AB terminals there must be another junction somewhere.
      Last edited by Isitme; 11-08-11 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll need to rearrange some furniture to get further access to that NTE5 - will do it at the weekend.

Thanks

There is only one wire on the A and B terminals ... meaning there is a junction box somewhere I can't get to.

If there is no line fault, how much to BT charge to install a new master socket?

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

1) Not necessarily.
      2) Arms and legs.

Unless your house also had a cable phone (or second BT line) installed you have a DIYer at work as you should only have one NTE5.

As you are happy to open up the sockets clear photos of the wiring at the back and in the rear backbox portion of the NTE5s might help to discover what is going on.

Is it a modern house?
      Are the sockets flush mounted (like electrical sockets)?

Andy

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Its a 1930's house with a modern extension. The sockets are all in rooms in the old bit of the house, and they're screwed to the skirtingboard.

I'll look to getting some photo's of the wiring ...

Thanks

Hi, here are some pics but I'm not sure if this sheds any light on it. Downstairs NTE5 has two white cables going into it. All thats happening is that the blue (white) one and the white (blue) one from first cable are connecting to A and B behind the box. The blue (white), white (blue) and orange are connecting to 5, 2 and 3 on the front-plate.

Upstairs, of the two candidate sockets, I'm discounting the back bedroom one as its just a blue (white) and white (blue) connecting to the inside of the jack. Which leaves the upstairs landing, which is the second photo ... just seems to be an internal junction for three 'my side' cables .... three white (blue) and three blue (white) meet at points 2 and 5 respectively.

So if anyone can give me meaningful information, please do! I still think its all hitting a concealed junction box before either of these sockets.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where is my master socket?-img_2532.jpg   Where is my master socket?-img_2536.jpg  

Thanks

It looks like your master socket is feeding the landing socket and from there it is fed out to the bedroom and another socket. There may be one hiding somewhere you have not found yet.
      Can you confirm that when the faceplate is removed the other sockets are dead, ie, no dial tone. That is all that matters really, if they are, fit and use a filtered faceplate on your master and that is the best you can do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi,

No .. when the downstairs NTE5 faceplate is removed, two of the upstairs sockets still have dialtone, so I can only conclude that a spur (that I've not yet found) to upstairs is happening at some point between the drop cable entering the house and the downstairs NTE5. I'm not paying for two phonelines, so I'm assuming I don't have two phone lines! So given this, is there really a benefit to me fitting a flitered faceplate to the downstairs NTE5 ?

Thanks

In that case it is possible your landing socket is the real master. One cable to it being the main incoming, one feeding the AB terminals on the downstairs NTE5 and one feeding the other upstairs socket.
      Without disconnecting the wires one at a time there is no way to tell if this is correct. If you want to check this, remove the top wire from terminal 5, check for dial tone in all your sockets including the 'master' and the one you have removed the wire from.
      If you still have dial tone at some of your sockets, remove the next wire and check again. If at any point you loose dial tone on all the sockets, that means you have removed the main incoming wire.
      It is only necessary to remove one wire to disable the dial tone, so leave the other set in place for the time being.

I have attached a rough sketch of how I think your wiring is set out, but I could be completely wrong.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where is my master socket?-wiring.jpg  

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast