Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phone junction box = slow ADSL?

This is a discussion on Phone junction box = slow ADSL? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all - first post here, would greatly appreciate any help! :-) Moved into a new (rented) house about 6 ...

JimMillen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01635
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Phone junction box = slow ADSL?

Hi all - first post here, would greatly appreciate any help! :-)

Moved into a new (rented) house about 6 weeks ago and had Sky broadband, phone & TV migrated. The phone and TV seem fine but we're having problems with the broadband. :-( There is frequent loss of line sync, producing a highly irritating "The DSL router requires a username and password..." error message when browsing, sometimes well after line sync has been restored. I understand this might be a bug in the router (It's a grey Sagem one) - would it be worth asking Sky for a replacement router to at least stop these password requests?

Of course the more serious problem is why the line keeps losing sync, and I think this might also be giving us very slow speeds. In our previous flat the Sky BB was OK at around 10Mbps, not the > 18Mbps I previously got with Be but acceptable. Here, though, it's barely 4Mbps if we're lucky which isn't great at all.

The obvious question is "How far am I from the exchange?" Well, not very far at all, I don't think, and certainly not enough to cause this slow a speed! Here are my router stats:

System Up Time: 74:29:53

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time

WAN MER 926306 1103601 0 360 312 10:33:27
      LAN 618755 505013 0 0 0 74:29:53
      WLAN 702626 593657 0 378 354 74:29:26

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 3762 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.8 db 17.8 db

As I've interpreted this based on several hours searching forums and using the estimation tool here, 3762kbps seems very slow for those stats. Have I missed anything?

I've started looking at the phone wiring around this house and have found something a bit odd. Rather than a single BT phone line entering the property to a master socket with extensions from that, there is a grey junction box marked "Post Office Telecommunications" on the wall outside which the BT line runs into. Two cables are then run from here; one a good 15-20m around the side of the house to a master socket in the kitchen, and the other maybe 3-5m to a "loose" socket in the living room. (Loose as in no faceplate, just a socket on the end of a black cable.)

I currently have my router connected in to the loose socket in the living room using a microfilter, and a cordless phone connected to the master socket in the kitchen.

Based on the fact the grey junction box & the wiring looks pretty ancient, I'm wondering if anything in this wiring is causing the slow speeds and intermittent line sync. There's a couple of things I've not tried yet:

1) Plugging the router into the test socket in the master socket. My gut feeling is this wouldn't make much difference as the master socket is "after" the junction box anyway, but might it be worth a try?

2) Carrying out a "quiet line test" - mainly because we don't have a POT to use and I've read cordless can't be trusted for this test. Could maybe borrow a phone though if this is worth trying.

Is there anything else I could try to test things here?

On the assumption it is the wiring from the junction box that's at fault, who'd responsible for putting this right? The standard answer seems to be everything before the master socket is the responsibility of the line operator - also Sky in my case - so if I phone them are they likely to be able to send an engineer out?

Sorry for such a lengthy first post, hope it all makes sense and would be very grateful for any replies! :-)

Also posted to the Sky Help Forums

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Phone junction box = slow ADSL?

OK, the bad news is you have two extensions that currently have the ADSL signal on them when only one requires it. What you ideally want is a good quality cable running from the external junction box to where your modem/router is. To this you would fit an NTE5 and filtered faceplate. Any other extensions would then run from this location. Now, as this is a rented house I'm guessing you aren't allowed to do much? Whether this would fall under a FOC call out is debatable too.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimMillen View Post
      I currently have my router connected in to the loose socket in the living room using a microfilter, and a cordless phone connected to the master socket in the kitchen.
      You do have a microfilter on the cordless in the master socket don't you?

I'm assuming it's an NTE5 master.
      Do you have any other extensions and are they wired to the faceplate of the master?

The "The DSL router requires a username and password..." is a known foible of the Sagem when you lose sync.
      A new one will do the same thing.
      As you say fixing the cause of you losing sync will stop the annoying messages.

The loose socket doesn't sound right,may well be a poor DIY job and the cause of your problems.
      Some pictures of the loose socket, the inside of your external junction box (if you are happy to carefully remove the cover) and the inside of your faceplate if there are extensions (ditto) would be useful.

Andy

JimMillen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01635
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks both for the useful replies. :-)

After posting yesterday I phoned Sky and got lucky 'cos the guy I spoke to was extremely helpful. He agreed the junction wiring may be causing me problems but asked me to move the router to the master socket which I've now done. He was then able to increase the speed and I am now getting ~ 8.7 Mbps, a definite improvement.

He reckoned that's still slower than they would normally expect based on my router stats so they're re-running DLM now. If speeds don't increase or if the line sync problem re-occurs (It hasn't done yet - fingers crossed!) then he said they'd try to do something about the wiring but apparently it couldn't be guaranteed...

For future reference I will try to get some pictures - the one of the junction box will have to wait till it stops raining though!

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Very good.

I suspect that if you were to disconnect the dodgy extension in your front room you might well get even better speed.

Andy