Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

extension or plugs?

This is a discussion on extension or plugs? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Okay so my current setup works... but i'd like more. i have 20mb package and currently recieve low speeds to ...

imarv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

extension or plugs?

Okay so my current setup works... but i'd like more. i have 20mb package and currently recieve low speeds to my router, that is not the issue... my setup atm is a phone line extension of 40ft running throughout my house from master socket to my study. i though about moving my roueter to my master socket and then buying some belkin ethernet plugs to carry the connection but wondered to any flaws or speed loss this might carry with it... any advice!?

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: extension or plugs?

If you have an NTE5 try the test socket first, that will tell you if home plugs will improve matters for you. Any other extensions apart from this one serving ADSL?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

A simple way to prove this would be post your router stats from both your current locations and then to connect just your router to the test socket with a microfilter and short grey ADSL lead that Sky provided.

From there we can give you a guesstimate as to what you might expect from the master socket.

It is important to realise that you may not see any huge improvement in the connection speed initially. However once you have sorted things out, you could contact Sky and ask for your connection speed to be increased.

If you cannot connect to the router with your PC when in the test socket, you could try using a mobile phone and write the figures on your PC. Otherwise, borrow a laptop from someone.

With regards to how well HomePlugs work, generally they work very well. I can't comment on the specific ones that you are looking at, but I tend to advise people to consider a pair that support either 100mbps or 200mbps connection between them.

If your electrical wiring is poor quality, then they will suffer.

A good alternative would be to run a long Ethernet cable through a socket in your wall. Ethernet cable has become quite cheap recently. If taking this router I would suggest Cat 5e, or better still shielded Cat 6 cable. These would support a faster connection of 1Gbit should you upgrade at a later date.

Finally I would also consider fitting a filtered faceplate.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

CAT5e will support Gigabit & note pretty much everything with copper in it is going UP!!! Watch out for CCA & CCA junk cable due to this very fact.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have a gaming PC and i really cant move it to the test socket, wireless wont connect??? i think that could be due to out of range but im not sure. anything else?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imarv View Post
      I have a gaming PC and i really cant move it to the test socket, wireless wont connect??? i think that could be due to out of range but im not sure. anything else?
      Any WiFi enable device should be able to log on to the router, hence why I suggested a mobile telephone as many have this ability.

It is just the router stats that are required at this stage. Specifically the connection speed, Line Attenuation & Noise margin for both the upstream & downstream connections.

In fairness most people would agree that your connection is likely improve if you can use a filtered faceplate in the master socket, connect your router at that point, and run either a pair of HomePlugs or an Ethernet cable.

The improvement is most likely if you have a number of extensions running from behind the faceplate. If they are running from the front (i.e. plugged into the master socket), then a filtered faceplate may not make such a huge difference, but it would help to make things tidier.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If your extension is the flat wire telephone type, I guarantee you are loosing out. Swap this for a dedicated ADSL extension and this will solve most of your problems. You can obtain this from RunITDirect, either with a plug fitted or ready to wire into the master socket. Have a word with him and he will fix you up with what you need.
      NTE2000 ADSL Extension Kit, 10M

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Stats from master socket... although these seemed wrong to me this is by wifi to my mobile.. i have screen shots but cba to upload so ill just show you...

Downstream 3776
      Upstream 896
      Lin Attenuation Down 26db
      Line Attenuation Up 7db
      Noise Margin Down 14db
      Noise Margin Up 14db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks like the plug has not made a proper connection with the socket. Try it again and this time slide the plug in and out a few times to remove any residue on the socket. If you had rebooted your router when it was in the Test socket it would have synced higher. It does not matter if you take the stats by wireless phone, they will be the same as you would get with ethernet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

With that line attenuation your connection speed should be closer to 16Mb according to the tool on this site.

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

I would suggest that if you follow Tom's advise & clean the contacts, then change things so that you can use your router in the Master Socket, then you could give Sky a call to get your line uncapped.

You have some noise margin showing on the connection. This is normal when the connection speed has been limited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast