Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is my Ring Wire Doing

This is a discussion on What is my Ring Wire Doing within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am looking to see what improvements I can make to my ADSL . I removed the BT faceplate and ...

rdwarf12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What is my Ring Wire Doing

I am looking to see what improvements I can make to my ADSL. I removed the BT faceplate and I can only see 1 wire attached to the faceplate on pin 3 its orange and white. (yes just the one)

It seems my extension is run outside the house from an external BT grey box which also feeds my master socket.

I did a test on the test socket but it only improved my
      Noise Margin by 0.3. ( Not sure thats worth worrying about ?)
      All other statistics remained the same attenuation 29.5.

So my question is would removing the wire from pin '3' have any effect ? since I do not have any extensions run internally in the house from the master socket ?

2. Advertisement
      Chaos66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSBEX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: What is my Ring Wire Doing

your router should always be connected to the master socket with pins 2 & 5 only connected pin 3 removed then on your ext phones again just pins 2 & 5 only with pin 3 removed again

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Please have a read through the page linked below, it should make things clear for you:

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It seems my extension is run outside the house from an external BT grey box which also feeds my master socket.
      Is this a small grey box? If it is, it is a simple junction box and your wiring is incorrect. All extensions should run from the Master socket.

Even if it is a large grey box, it is still incorrectly wired, as only one pair of wires should be connected from it to the Master socket.

I would point out that even if this is fixed, if your existing wiring is of good quality, it may make no difference to your broadband.

A picture of the inside of grey box would help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Is this a small grey box? If it is, it is a simple junction box and your wiring is incorrect. All extensions should run from the Master socket.

A picture of the inside of grey box would help.
      Yes its a small grey box, but its possibly more then a junction box
      We have a second line in the house which also starts from this
      box. I seem to remember the BT engineer told my wife this box could support upto 5 lines.

Looking around other houses we all seem to have our extensions wired in this star type configuration. To my knowledge it was done in the late 80's when the houses were first wired up by BT. I can only assume this was a supported BT method then.

I am unwilling to photography inside the outside box, it currently causing no problems and I do not want to introduce any potential water damage by breaking a good seal.

1. My current thinking is to fit a XTE 2005 but not to reconnect the single ring wire .
      2. Or just fit the XTE 2005 and also reconnect the wire to pin 3 so its the same configuration with the new face plate in situ.

Thanks

If your extension is coming from a source other than the master socket, fitting a filtered faceplate will make very little difference. The only benifit would be a better quality filter and cosmetic. You will still need a filter on your extension.

I think I know the type of box you mean, it was used by BT in the 80s as you say. This was long before broadband and is a poor type of connection nowadays.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The only benifit would be a better quality filter and cosmetic. You will still need a filter on your extension.
      Thanks I understand now. The wife is keen on the cosmetic as the master socket is in the lounge and I have no problem with the better quality filtering.

I will put this on my todo list buy and fit new face plate. I was hoping for a performance gain by removing the bell wire but I did suspect due to the way the extension was wired, it would be questionable whether it would help.

Thanks

The bell wire is not required when using filters, so it is quite OK to leave it disconnected. There are very few phones in use now that actually need a ring wire anyway.

TomD

Useful Utilites

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The bell wire is not required when using filters, so it is quite OK to leave it disconnected. There are very few phones in use now that actually need a ring wire anyway.
      No no no! There are tens of thousands of phones that still require the ring wire, of course with ADSL this becomes a mute point if filtering locally on each socket.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

No no no! There are tens of thousands of phones that still require the ring wire
      Do you think so? I was under the impression that the only phones that need the ring wire were those with an actual bell? The only place I have seen these in recent years is in public phone boxes.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast