Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Suppressing Radio Frequency Interference - Intermittent ADSL disconnects

This is a discussion on Suppressing Radio Frequency Interference - Intermittent ADSL disconnects within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I'm posting this as it may help others who are experiencing intermittent ADSL disconnects as a result of ...

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Suppressing Radio Frequency Interference - Intermittent ADSL disconnects

Hi All,

I'm posting this as it may help others who are experiencing intermittent ADSL disconnects as a result of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI).

See here for the background to my issue: Intermittent disconnections

I've walked about my Close with AM radio in-hand and found a couple of sources of RFI (next door neighbour for one), their FreeView box was throwing out huge amounts of RFI, however switching it off still didn't rectify my issue so all I can think is the actual source is further up the 4km of line to the exchange.

Sky have set a more conservative profile with more Downstream Margin (at the cost of loosing a few Kbps) which has turned my connection from bouts of constant connect/disconnect into one which only dropped a couple of times a day.

I then bough myself some Ferrite Clip-on RFI 10mm filters, applied one to the BT cable as it emerges from the ground and another on the ADSL cable just before it goes into the Router.

Finally I dug out my old iPlate and connected it (which essentially is an RFI filter as it's designed to filter out the RFI picked up by a connected Bellwire). This RFI filter from RunItDirect would also do the job as it contains the same innards as the iPlate (Installing a BT 80B RF3 : How to Guides)
      So I have the iPlate and a Filtered Faceplate bit of Frankenstein's monster!

Anyway this looks to have done the trick in filtering out those 'spikes' which knocked the broadband out. It's been running a week without any drops (which is unheard off!)

Useful resource: My DSL loses sync regularly. How can I detect interference with an AM Radio? Ameritech - SBC FAQ | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Suppressing Radio Frequency Interference - Intermittent ADSL disconnects

Well done for getting things resolved and finally being able to get a stable connection.

This page may help those who are unsure about what you are talking about:

::. Kitz - REIN .::

As for your neighbour's Freeview box, I am not too surprised to hear that that is one source of you problems. Before getting a TV with Freeview built in I've had several cheap Freeview STBs fail on me.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As you say the 80B RF3 has the same filter as the iPlate. BT Openreach do not recommend the iPlate is used with a filtered faceplate, the early versions would not allow this to happen as the IDC block got in the way (although that may have been on a non BT faceplate, honestly can't remember!!). I think they see it a staking sales away from one item for some reason?? I can't think of a technical reason why the two can not work together, the iPlate also has a bell wire filter bit this would not come into play with a filtered faceplate too as the bell wire is then isolated from the ADSL signal. Anyway, the only downside I can think of is your socket will be protruding a fair bit from the wall now!!

Note the iplate is now known as the broadband accelerator too just to confuse matters!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Well done for getting things resolved and finally being able to get a stable connection.

This page may help those who are unsure about what you are talking about:

::. Kitz - REIN .::

As for your neighbour's Freeview box, I am not too surprised to hear that that is one source of you problems. Before getting a TV with Freeview built in I've had several cheap Freeview STBs fail on me.
      There was a story a few years ago where a DTT STB was sending out frequencies back out of the Terrestrial antenna on the house that caused the Coastguard to send out rescue teams.

::. coastguard.::
      There is no p in Thomson.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      There was a story a few years ago where a DTT STB was sending out frequencies back out of the Terrestrial antenna on the house that caused the Coastguard to send out rescue teams.

::. coastguard.::
      Thank you for the info. Unfortunately the link failed as I don't subscribe to the Times. for anyone else, please see this link:

Mayday! Television in distress sparks air rescue | Mail Online

P.S. I wasn't me

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Thank you for the info. Unfortunately the link failed as I don't subscribe to the Times. for anyone else, please see this link:

Mayday! Television in distress sparks air rescue | Mail Online

P.S. I wasn't me
      I dont subscribe either? Link still works for me.
      There is no p in Thomson.

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Anyway, the only downside I can think of is your socket will be protruding a fair bit from the wall now!!
      !
      Yep - I had to go to B&Q to get some longer retaining screws! LOL

I can only put the new found line stability down to the iPlate as with just the Ferrite the SNR drop was less pronounced but still present.

I'm surprise the BT Faceplate doesn't include an RFI filter.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suppressing Radio Frequency Interference - Intermittent ADSL disconnects-photo0272.jpg  

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRaven View Post
      Yep - I'm surprise the BT Faceplate doesn't include an RFI filter.
      I must admit I was surprised too, but RFI isn't that common and the BT80B RF3 covers it. Adding a component to the NTE5 when only a small percentage of lines would benefit does not make sense I guess. We did think about custom making an NTE5 with it in but as above, the 80B RF3 is cheap & easy to fit so not much point. Anyway, glad your setup works
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Gigabit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: ZeN
      Thanks

Sorry for reopening this thread, but are you still happy with your setup?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-10-12, 07:08 PM