Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

BT phone socket.

This is a discussion on BT phone socket. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Question regarding my socket. Apologies if I'm posting in wrong section. I think I've got an old style socket as ...

Valiceemo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT phone socket.

Question regarding my socket.
      Apologies if I'm posting in wrong section.
      I think I've got an old style socket as when I take the front off there is no test socket.
      Also the front doesn't have 2 sections.
      Can I change it myself to a newer style?
      Could this help with my slow speeds?
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: BT phone socket.

Legally speaking you should not tamper with the master socket. However if you are competent and are able to change the master socket for an NTE5, then it is unlikely the BTO would do anything to you.

I would ask you to double check that it is the master though. Take a look at where the telephone cable enters your home and follow the line to the socket. Some people do have their master sockets in the most unusual places, such as in a cupboard or in the loft.

A master socket has a yellow capacitor that is approximately the size of a AAA battery.

Should you change the socket, I would highly recommend that you treat yourself to a filtered faceplate at the same time.

Both ADSL Nation & run-IT-direct sell both & an IDC tool (essential if you have any wired-in extensions).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks
      The cable enters the house at the front and the socket is at the back. Cabling is hidden in the Walls I believe,
      If there is no yellow thing in what I believe is the master does that mean it is in actual fact, NOT the master?

I'm fairly competent at home diy bit I'm not sure on where to start on this!
      Is there anywhere that can help me? A guide?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valiceemo View Post
      Thanks
      The cable enters the house at the front and the socket is at the back. Cabling is hidden in the Walls I believe,
      If there is no yellow thing in what I believe is the master does that mean it is in actual fact, NOT the master?
      Correct - it is not the Master socket.

The Master Socket could be hidden in your loft.

Also, just in case, do you have a grey box outside your home? This is also known as an XNTE (or External NTE) socket. This is where the master socket is located in some new homes.

Take a look at the below, there is a picture of the XNTE at the bottom of the page:

::. Kitz - BT Phone Sockets .::

Another possibility is that you are living in a flat. In these cases there is often a junction box in the hall and the capacitor could be located there. Forgive me if this isn't the case, I'm just trying to rule out possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiceemo View Post
      I'm fairly competent at home diy bit I'm not sure on where to start on this!
      Is there anywhere that can help me? A guide?
      In fairness the job is relatively easy. Take precautions so the you are not electrocuted. The wires will be live. You will be concerned with ensuring that you correctly wire up pins 2 & 5. Pin 3 is used for the ring-wire and is not required with most modern telephones. The others are superfluous now.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Just looked in socket and found this!
      The wire going to pin 2 was loose and came out!
      Managed to get it back in and retain a dial tone. But its gonna come out again.
      Will BT fix this? I don't wanna pay the 130 call out charge!

Thanks

Could someone else confirm if this IS the master socket please?

If so the following applies:

Use an old credit card, or something similar, to replace the wire. It is an IDC connector.

DO NOT use a screwdriver.

If you can't repair it, a friendly call to your line provider should be made. It's a definite fault now .

Technically you are responsible for the wiring from the test/master socket inside your home. You call provider is responsible for the wiring from your home to the telephone exchange.

Just don't admit that you know the problem, but state that you keep loosing calls or disconnect it & call them on your mobile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could someone else confirm if this IS the master socket please?

If so the following applies:

Use an old credit card, or something similar, to replace the wire. It is an IDC connector.

DO NOT use a screwdriver.

If you can't repair it, a friendly call to your line provider should be made. It's a definite fault now .

Technically you are responsible for the wiring from the test/master socket inside your home. You call provider is responsible for the wiring from your home to the telephone exchange.

Just don't admit that you know the problem, but state that you keep loosing calls or disconnect it & call them on your mobile.
      I've just called them and he said it's a 130 call out if no fault!!
      I told him it keeps dropping out etc and I know it's not my equipment (tried new phone etc etc)

I've replaced the wire but it's kinda just hanging in, it's not secured in at all.

What's an IDC connector (pardon my ignorance)?

The guy on BT customer support said they are responsible for wiring into my home, i.e from the telegraph pole to socket, this is what has failed so it's theirs, correct?

Can someone confirm that they will fix it gratis?

Thanks

The charge is normal if it is within your own wiring. This is why I stated that you are responsible for any wiring after the test socket/master socket.

I am concerned whether this is actually your master socket. If it is then there will be no charge.

Be nice to the BTO Engineer and ask if he can fit an NTE5 socket since you would love to be able to install a filtered faceplate.

The loose wire will also be affecting your broadband speeds.

IDC = Insulation Displacement

Essentially it is not a screw driver or solder job. The narrow connector cuts through the plastic insulation that protects the wire, and into the copper wire, just enough to make a good clean connection.

You can purchase special tools to correctly fit the wire.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The charge is normal if it is within your own wiring. This is why I stated that you are responsible for any wiring after the test socket/master socket.

I am concerned whether this is actually your master socket. If it is then there will be no charge.

Be nice to the BTO Engineer and ask if he can fit an NTE5 socket since you would love to be able to install a filtered faceplate.

The loose wire will also be affecting your broadband speeds.

IDC = Insulation Displacement

Essentially it is not a screw driver or solder job. The narrow connector cuts through the plastic insulation that protects the wire, and into the copper wire, just enough to make a good clean connection.

You can purchase special tools to correctly fit the wire.
      Right I'm with you.
      Im sure this is the master as it has the yellow battery sized thing you mentioned and im pretty sure its the only socket in house. But I will check around in 'unlikely' places again.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

If he will install an NTE5 socket would I have to buy a filtered faceplate separately?
      What benefits would it give me?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

This is a master socket. Not too sure whether the charge would be applicable or not.

You could do it yourself but you will either have to fit the nte5 upside down or lower the socket because the wire is too short.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (22-07-11)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast