Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

BT phone socket.

This is a discussion on BT phone socket. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was offered BT fibre before I settled on Sky. They estimated my download to be 38.4meg down. I can't ...

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: BT phone socket.

I was offered BT fibre before I settled on Sky. They estimated my download to be 38.4meg down. I can't remember all the details but taking into account the cost, reading small print and tales of woe, decided that overall, it was just not really worth it.

I do think that currently Sky is pretty hard to beat.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Is that actually telephone cable? It could be the picture is distorting it, but it looks like electrical cable to me, the exposed wire being too thick for phone cable. Maybe a DIYer been at work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Valiceemo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT cable enters the house at the front and disappears behind skirting to reappear at the back to the master, as in the pic.

I'm not sure if it's telephone wire to be honest. It doesn't look like 'normal' electrical wire?

I think I've decided to do it myself.
      I may have ago at moving socket today, use a credit card to get wire in the connector? Is this ok?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valiceemo View Post
      I think I've decided to do it myself.
      I may have ago at moving socket today, use a credit card to get wire in the connector? Is this ok?
      Good luck and be careful with the electrics.

If you've already purchased standard telephone cable, then all should be fine.

If you haven't purchased the cable, then I personally would opt for a suitable length of Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable as this is better quality than the standard telephone wire you can get in the shops.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Good luck and be careful with the electrics.

If you've already purchased standard telephone cable, then all should be fine.

If you haven't purchased the cable, then I personally would opt for a suitable length of Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable as this is better quality than the standard telephone wire you can get in the shops.
      Can I wire Cat 5e or 6 cable to telephone master socket? I thought these were Ethernet cables?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Can I wire Cat 5e or 6 cable to telephone master socket? I thought these were Ethernet cables?
      Yes. From reading comments by other members Ethernet cable would be a good choice. Shielded Ethernet cable would be better if there is a lot of electrical noise locally.

You can purchase them both in rolls and any left over cable can be made up to proper LAN cable if you like.

Maplin sell suitable RJ45 connectors, boots and crimp tool for creating your own LAN cable.

rj45 : Maplin Electronics

As always though, I use Maplin to illustrate the products. There are cheaper suppliers available. The computer shop in Huddersfield might be a good place to check out as well. I haven't seen it myself, but I understand that there is a new one there.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The only problem with Cat5 or 6 cable is when you come to 'bend' it around a door head or similar. The minimum safe bend on TP cable is about 8 times its diameter, CW1308, being a much smaller diameter, means it can be bent through a smaller angle. Unless you have it and it can be hidden behind skirting/dado rail there is little advantage in using it. The higher frequencies it can carry will be of no use to the ADSL signal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Right ok.
      Given it will have at least 4 bends in I don't think cat5 cable is for me.

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

BT cable enters the house at the front and disappears behind skirting to reappear at the back to the master, as in the pic.
      It comes in and goes straight behind the skirting - no junction box in sight? Is there any ID printed or stamped on the cable sheath?

I'm not sure if it's telephone wire to be honest. It doesn't look like 'normal' electrical wire?
      I agree with Isitme that the cable is home-brew using power cable. The look of the cut sheath inside the master could even suggest twin and earth as there looks room for a third core within the outer sheath. Is there any sign of a cut back 3rd wire? Might just be the pic misleading, but does seem suggestive.

As I said earlier, I don't think BT would be impressed - I think the master would have probably originally lived somewhere nearer point of entry. Expect a 'Spanish Inquisition' if you asked to attend BT.

As it appears to be power cable, then no, credit card no good. This wire would be anchored by screw terminal (You would probably find this wire between light switches and ceiling roses). Anyway, ideally your master (when sited near xbox area) would be connected via materials listed by Isitme and run back as practically possible to be mated with the 'good stuff' - bypassing the 'home-brew'.

Thanks

It comes in and goes straight behind the skirting - no junction box in sight? Is there any ID printed or stamped on the cable sheath?
      yes, and no i cant see any junction box

I agree with Isitme that the cable is home-brew using power cable. The look of the cut sheath inside the master could even suggest twin and earth as there looks room for a third core within the outer sheath. Is there any sign of a cut back 3rd wire? Might just be the pic misleading, but does seem suggestive.
      Yes, there is
      im starting to think this is gonna turn into a bigger job than i expected!!

As I said earlier, I don't think BT would be impressed - I think the master would have probably originally lived somewhere nearer point of entry. Expect a 'Spanish Inquisition' if you asked to attend BT.
      #

So you'd advise on not getting them out?

As it appears to be power cable, then no, credit card no good. This wire would be anchored by screw terminal (You would probably find this wire between light switches and ceiling roses).
      Any advice on where to start looking?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast