Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

BT phone socket.

This is a discussion on BT phone socket. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Giskard Ok, but an ethernet cable trailing across the floor is a bit scary, and across a ...

Valiceemo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
      Ok, but an ethernet cable trailing across the floor is a bit scary, and across a doorway too. Perhaps you may not have a fear of anyone dislodging anything, but still.........

When RunItDirect mentioned correctly fitted and appropriate cable having no discerable impact - he was not applying that to your current wiring - basically, you could 'extend' the master from where it is. It would be practically the same as if BT (or whoever) had run up and over to the xbox area in the first place - just an additional several metres of cable.

Of course, ideally joins should be avoided but in the overall scheme of things, taking into account your requirements, the pros should outweigh the (minor) cons I reckon.
      Good lord I agree
      I'm gonna ask BT if they will move the master to Xbox area. If not the Ethernet cable will be routed safely around skirting and hidden away. Not just ran across the room on floor, this is a temp measure and the cable is removed from Xbox when not in use!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: BT phone socket.

If you do opt to using the Ethernet cable, then it might be better to fit it properly and use cable clips or some cable trunking to protect it and keep it in place.

If you use cable clips, then please do not pinch the cable too tightly as this could interfere with the quality of the cable in the long term.

In all cases avoid sharp bends. This is definitely not good for Ethernet cable & the signals it will carry.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valiceemo View Post
      I'm gonna ask BT if they will move the master to Xbox area.
      Yes they will do it & yes it will cost you a fourtune! DIY is very easy, check out our website support forum to see how.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Buy a junction box and fit it to the incoming wires. Get one of these for good measure as it will help protect you against RF interference. BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors with RFI protection)
      Buy a length of CW1308, measure what you need - CW1308 Twisted Pair Telephone Cable, 10M White connect this to the Junction box. At the other end fit an NTE5 line box - NTE5 BT Openreach Type Socket (NTE5A with bellwire filter). If you do not intend to run any more extensions that is all you need. If you want to fit an extension get one of these - XTE-2005 Clone NTE5 ADSL Faceplate
      Total cost under 25 + postage. RunITDirect used to give a discount to forum members, maybe he still does. Cost with BT around 130.
      If you are not going to fit an extension, get one of these - XF-1e Clone-Premium Quality ADSL Filter these are far better quality than the ones supplied by Sky. You will also need a disposable Krone tool, which I think RunITDirect can also supply.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Buy a junction box and fit it to the incoming wires.
      Yes, if it was me, I would not be happy to attach to that existing home-brew wiring - I would want to find the good stuff, and go from there.

And if BT were called in it would be ditto - I can't see them entertaining the idea of using that wiring - so they would be starting somewhere nearer the point of entry anyway.
      Last edited by Giskard; 24-07-11 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Buy a junction box and fit it to the incoming wires. Get one of these for good measure as it will help protect you against RF interference. BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors with RFI protection)
      Buy a length of CW1308, measure what you need - CW1308 Twisted Pair Telephone Cable, 10M White connect this to the Junction box. At the other end fit an NTE5 line box - NTE5 BT Openreach Type Socket (NTE5A with bellwire filter). If you do not intend to run any more extensions that is all you need. If you want to fit an extension get one of these - XTE-2005 Clone NTE5 ADSL Faceplate
      Total cost under 25 + postage. RunITDirect used to give a discount to forum members, maybe he still does. Cost with BT around 130.
      If you are not going to fit an extension, get one of these - XF-1e Clone-Premium Quality ADSL Filter these are far better quality than the ones supplied by Sky. You will also need a disposable Krone tool, which I think RunITDirect can also supply.
      Thanks for that.
      I think this seems the most sensible solution.
      I think I'm going to struggle to get BT to come out, rather oddly.
      I'll try them again and if no joy I shall pursue this.
      My only concern is the condition the wire is in that goes to the master socket.
      Ill try to get a better photo tomorrow.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Which ever solution you do take though, try to ensure that it works well.

I understand that there are a lot of BTO vans in your local area with miles of fibre cable being installed.

You're exchange should be live for FTTC now, it is just a case of whether you have a cabinet nearby that supports it.

There are string rumours that Sky will launch their fibre product range from September.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Which ever solution you do take though, try to ensure that it works well.

I understand that there are a lot of BTO vans in your local area with miles of fibre cable being installed.

You're exchange should be live for FTTC now, it is just a case of whether you have a cabinet nearby that supports it.

There are string rumours that Sky will launch their fibre product range from September.
      Yep that's correct.
      We have had a letter from what I think is an independent company saying they will have fibre optic Internet available for 250 customers from sept. At a cost of 14.99 per month. It's a bit steep for us so we are going to wait for sky and see what they can offer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

At a cost of 14.99 per month.
      That is cheap for fibre. Plusnet's lowest charge is about 16.50 for the first 3 months then a bit over 22 after that, and that is on their 'low cost' exchanges.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valiceemo View Post
      I'll try them again and if no joy I shall pursue this.
      My only concern is the condition the wire is in that goes to the master socket.
      Well, how and where does the BT cable enter the house, and what happens to it and where does it go once inside your house?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast