Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Old BT Junction Box

This is a discussion on Old BT Junction Box within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As previously posted before here I am in the process reviewing my phone cabling, in an attempt to improve my ...

pgnl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMHAG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Old BT Junction Box

As previously posted before here I am in the process reviewing my phone cabling, in an attempt to improve my stats.

We have no NTE5 master socket just a normal master socket, but prior to that is one these (see attached) the white and orange cables are attached to the screws on the right and blue/white and white/blue cables are attached to the screws in the middle, the left screw appears to attached to an unsheathed earth cable.

I assume this is an old GPO surge protector, but could this be adding noise to my phone cabling or even affecting the attenuation? I have been thinking about bypassing the two metal strips and attaching the blue/white white/blue cables to the same screws as the white and orange cables are attached to.

Or do you think I should just remove it and replace it with a normal NTE5A?

(and yes I know officially I shouldn't mess with anything behind the master socket!)

Patrick
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old BT Junction Box-protector_04.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Old BT Junction Box

It would be best if you temporarily disconnect the faceplate on one of your extensions/sockets and test it at the junction box. Remove the main BT wire from the junction box and connect it to faceplate you removed. Plug in your router and see if your stats improve.

If they do then you will definitely benefit from getting a nte5 to replace your junction box.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

pgnl (12-06-11)

pgnl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMHAG
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quick reply - thanks!

Good idea, test it first or its simply not worth going through all of the hassle... I am still very apprehensive about meddling while DLM is ongoing, I am consistently getting speeds of 12285 although the down noise margin is too low at 4.

I know you suggested I crack on and interrupt DLM, but it would be my luck for the speed to noise dive after I've meddled and then I I'd get some unhelpful person on the phone at sky unwilling to do anything about it!

Thanks again.

patrick

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

That is an old protector box dating back to the 1950s. I think I am right in saying that the modern master sockets contain arrestors which supposedly do the same job. I had one of these in my house and had it bypassed when a new overhead line was installed. You could replace it with an NTE5a, a BT80A or a BT80B/RF3. If it is not in a convenient position for your router, it is probably a waste of money using an NTE5, rather replace your existing master with anNTE5.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

pgnl (12-06-11)

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As above, you can either replace the box with an 80A or 80B RF3(if you have any interference on the line) and replace your existing socket with an NTE5, or simply fit the NTE5 where the junction box is(if practical to have a phone/router there?). We always fit a filtered faceplate too to keep it all neat, this makes even more sense if you plan to run any extra telephone extensions as you would no longer need plug in filters & the extra wiring will not have any effect on the ADSL performance.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

pgnl (12-06-11)