Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Faceplate help!

This is a discussion on Faceplate help! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys! Basically, im currently with Orange Broadband (awful ) and I plan to move to sky in the future ...

greg57 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broughty Ferry
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Faceplate help!

Hi guys!
      Basically, im currently with Orange Broadband (awful ) and I plan to move to sky in the future as I have the whole Tv package with them.

I have followed the information on this website for months contemplating what to do. I haven't seen anyone with the same faceplate as me so I thought i should make a post.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...cheson/018.jpg
      http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...cheson/019.jpg
      http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...cheson/021.jpg
      http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...cheson/022.jpg

The master socket (picture attached) is one which contains a test socket but it doesn't have an outer socket for me to plug my router in to. The master socket has 4 extensions wired from it which lead around the house. I currently have my router connected to one of these sockets which gives a sync of around 2000kbps. If i plug the router directly into the test socket on the master faceplate then I can achieve around 3200kbps with a noise margin of 10dB. This is reasonable for a line with an attenuation of 60dB. Also, can anyone tell me what the box beside my master socket is and if it is causing any problems/can be removed.

The master socket is in an unsuitable place to plug the main router into as it would not allow the whole house to receive a wireless signal. I was going to try and achieve a signal around the house by placing one router into the master socket (if i can change the faceplate to allow an external socket), plug this router into a Powerline(Homeplug) adapter and have another powerline adapter at the opposite side of my house with another router plugged in to cause a bridge. This should allow the whole house to achieve a wireless signal and my ps3 to be plugged in by ethernet

The main point of this post is to find out if it is possible to just buy a bottom section of the faceplate which has an outer socket to plug the router in to and connect the existing 4 extensions into the new faceplate.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Faceplate help!

You need a filtered faceplate: ADSL Nation LTD.
      IDC tool will be required for the connections too: ADSL Nation LTD.

This faceplate will isolate the ADSL signal at your master socket and will make all your extensions voice only. This will give you maximum broadband efficiency.

The box on the right of your master socket is a junction box. That is quite an unusual spot for a junction box as your master is right next to it. It merely serves as a joint in the main BT wire. It can be removed if the wires are long enough and if you are willing and able to relocate your master socket to the right.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You have a choice, do as you plan OR make one of the extensions a dedicated ADSL extension. First off, the junction box is the old type, take the lid off & check the connections look good with no corrosion. If they are then replace with a BT80A. Back to the master socket, fit an NTE2005 filtered faceplate, connect the extension that will run the router to the A & B connections. All other extensions connect to 2, 3 & 5. Extensions for phones no longer need plug in filters, the extension for the router will OR you can replace the socket with this. To find out whether the extension you would like to use would give a decent speed you would need to leave that one connected & remove all others for testing purposes. If it gives poor performance then the only other thing to do would be to use the BT extension kit.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

One thing I would point out is that you appear to have an extension running upwards from the junction box and not running through the master socket. This can cause problems, as when the faceplate is removed this extension will still be 'live' so will interfere even if you fit a filtered faceplate..

What I would try first is removing the faceplate and plugging your router into this extension and take your stats. This should show you the maximum achievable rate as all your other extensions will be isolated. Depending on where it is situated it may be possible to make this the dedicated router extension by fitting a filter recommended by RunitDirect - BT Socket, Master, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11

You would still have to fit a filtered faceplate to your main socket. The alternate is to run this extension wire through your master socket and use one of the other extensions as your dedicated router extension as suggested by RunitDirect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jimbo174 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CHRISTCHURCH, DORSET
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I am shortly about to sign up to Sky BB unlimited and telephone. I have followed the correspondence concerning face plate filters and test sockets and I think I have most of it covered. My master socket is in the hall and it is the NTE 5 so it has a test socket. I have 3 extensions , one being connected to the Sky + box but this one can be disconnected. My PC is upstairs adjacent to one of the extensions. I know that I should connect the router initially to the test socket in order to get a accurate readind of the likely download speed and other stats. Question 1 ; If I connect the router into the extension upstairs and connect it to my PC using an ethernet cable am I likely to get poor download speeds? Question 2; If I connect the router into the master socket in the hall and use 2 homeplugs, one downstairs and one in the extension near to the PC would I expect a decent download speed? Question 3; If I do what I have suggested in question 2 can I use a flltered face plate on the BT master socket? If the answer to this is yes, would it be worth the trouble and would it improve speeds? Quite alot to consider but any advice would be nice. Thanks.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo174 View Post
      I am shortly about to sign up to Sky BB unlimited and telephone. I have followed the correspondence concerning face plate filters and test sockets and I think I have most of it covered. My master socket is in the hall and it is the NTE 5 so it has a test socket. I have 3 extensions , one being connected to the Sky + box but this one can be disconnected. My PC is upstairs adjacent to one of the extensions. I know that I should connect the router initially to the test socket in order to get a accurate readind of the likely download speed and other stats.
      Ideally you should connect your router to the Master Socket. The Test Socket risks being damaged if you were to use it on a regular basis.

In your case though, the Test Socket should successfully isolate the 3 telephone extensions which you have in your home.

Question 1 ; If I connect the router into the extension upstairs and connect it to my PC using an ethernet cable am I likely to get poor download speeds?
      How much it will actually impair you performance with depend on the quality of the telephone line. In reality you are better off avoiding this if you wish to make the most of your connection.

Question 2; If I connect the router into the master socket in the hall and use 2 homeplugs, one downstairs and one in the extension near to the PC would I expect a decent download speed?
      This will allow your router to connect at it's best speed at your home and allow your PC to make the most of them. As to whether or not you will actually get decent speeds, this will depend on your line & how far you are from the telephone exchange.

An additional HomePlug located near to your Sky+ HD STB would allow it to connect to the Internet so that you can view Sky Anytime+ content (Oops, you don't have the Sky+ HD STB yet ). However, it is something to think about. With the right setup, you could also connect an Internet enabled TV or other product in this way too.

Question 3; If I do what I have suggested in question 2 can I use a flltered face plate on the BT master socket? If the answer to this is yes, would it be worth the trouble and would it improve speeds? Quite alot to consider but any advice would be nice. Thanks.
      This would be your best option. It will separate all your internal extensions from the ADSL signal and is likely to improve your connection further.

Do purchase an IDC tool at the same time. This will make life easier when you fit the extensions to the back of the new faceplate.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jimbo174 (05-06-11)