Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate?

This is a discussion on Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HI everyone Just looking for some advice, i have one of these master sockets outside my front door (grey bt ...

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate?

HI everyone

Just looking for some advice, i have one of these master sockets outside my front door (grey bt box cant think of the name for it) anyway i have another 6 sockets in my house all of which are extensions i believe as there is no master inside the property. I have removed the faceplate on the one i plug my router into and removed the orange ring wire and wrapped it round the other wires to keep it out the way i have not removed it yet from the master box outside. The thing is all the sockets have a wire connection in termnial 4, i think its blue cant remember off the top of my head i just wanted to know what its for. I understand i need terminal's 2 & 5 wired but thought that was it. Is it to do with them being extension sockets and can or should i remove this wire from the sockets i do not use?

thanks again hope you can help

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate?

That box outside is called an external NTE. The wire in terminal 4 could be a ring wire or just there for neatness. Getting rid of it will not effect your sockets.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

craney13 (27-05-11),craney33 (30-05-11)

Router:
      Thanks

O right thanks for that mate, how are all the extension sockets actually connected to the external NTE? I am tempted to remove the wire in terminal 4 but if it then causes the socket not to work i have no idea how to clip it back in, they are quite hard to pull out the terminals so i doubt its as easy as just pushing it back in so to speak is it?

thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      O right thanks for that mate, how are all the extension sockets actually connected to the external NTE?
      Your circuit of sockets is connected to the main BT wire in the external NTE. You can open it to see how exactly it has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      I am tempted to remove the wire in terminal 4 but if it then causes the socket not to work i have no idea how to clip it back in, they are quite hard to pull out the terminals so i doubt its as easy as just pushing it back in so to speak is it?
      The formal tool for making the connections is called an IDC tool but a credit card will work if you need to put the wire back in as it's literally pushing it in till it makes contact. Pulling the wire out requires a little force. That's normal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

craney33 (30-05-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks mate i have just got myself and idc tool, i am thinking of getting a filtered faceplate as my connection keeps dropping from 3400kbps to 2500kbps at different times in the day, normally if i change the microfilter and reboot the router it goes back up to 3400kbps and sometimes it even lowers the downstream attenuation from 63d to 60db which is kinda strange but this doesn't always work.

So im thinking a decent filtered faceplate might give me a more solid connection on my 3mb max line. My main question is as i only have extension sockets through out my house with the master being external can i actually put a filtered faceplate on an extension socket?

thanks again

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

WHat you will need to do is find out if one socket is being treated like a junction box and all the other sockets run from it.

If this is the case then that would be the one to fit an NTE5 master socket and filtered faceplate too.

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply mate really appreciate it. How would i go about finding out what you mentioned above. I have checked my external master and it only has terminal 2&5 connected but i have checked 3 of the extensions inside the house and they all seem to have a connecter in either terminal 4 or 6 cant remember off the top of my head tho. There is 2 phone wires coming into the extension sockets pic is below

By craney at 2011-05-12

I will definatly try and get another picture showing what the extra wire is connected to either terminal 6 or 4 i think the wire colour was orange/blue

I have removed the ring wire from the external master as well as the extension socket i have the router plugged into i have not removed it from any of the other 5 extensions

Thanks

You need to find the first socket in your circuit which is usually the one nearest to the external NTE. You should be willing to keep your router here to take benefit of the filtered faceplate. In this socket you will find two wires:

1) will be comming straight from the external NTE
      2) will be going to the next extension on the circuit

If you remove '2' all extensions apart from this one should stop working in your house and this is an indication that you have found the first socket on your circuit.

Stick one of these onto your first socket and this will filter out the ADSL signal at this socket. The rest of your sockets will be left voice only.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

craney33 (30-05-11)

craney33 is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks again mate for your help, sorry if im sounding kinda silly but i am new to all this lol from the picture i posted above there is 2 grey cables coming into the socket this is the same for every socket i have opened, i take it its a general rule of thumb that the best socket i should use is the one closest to the master as u stated but is there a way of knowing which socket is connected directly to the external? The pic above again is the socket from my hallway which i believe is the 1st one as long as it runs from the ground up

Thanks

There is no way to find out which socket is the first on you circuit without doing the following. In the text below your socket in the hallway is referred to as 'A'

Open up the socket 'A'. You will see two wires connected to the back of the socket. Removing one of these wires (both pairs) from 'A' will either result in:

- All your sockets including 'A' stop working.
      - All your sockets excluding 'A' stop working.

Basically it's trial and error to find out which one of the two wires is connected to your external NTE. If the wire that you remove from 'A' comes directly from the external NTE then all your sockets including 'A' will stop working. If the wire you disconnect from 'A' is the one that connects it to the other sockets then 'A' should still work after you remove the wire.

If you find that after removing one of the wires some of your sockets are still working then 'A' is not the first socket your External NTE is connected to.

This is quite easy especially since you have an IDC tool.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

craney13 (31-05-11)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast