Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate?

This is a discussion on Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just done a test run on one of the extension sockets as i didnt wanna muck anything up just as ...

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate?

Just done a test run on one of the extension sockets as i didnt wanna muck anything up just as well i did as i almost messed it up lol. i removed all the wires and tested my phone and it didnt work in any of the sockets after this one so i now know that the socket before the one i have taken apart is my so called master from the external. Anyway when putting the wires back into the terminal i pushed them down as far as i could then punched down with my idc tool only to find i had it the wrong way round and it cut quite a large piece of the wire off! I managed to connect both pairs back to terminals 2 & 5 all be it the wires were not even in lenth i feard the worst but the phone and broadband is working again from the extension sockets after the one i just took apart so heart attack over.

Im kinda scared now about changing the faceplate on the main extension cos if i was to muck that up id have no phone or broadband!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

i pushed them down as far as i could then punched down with my idc tool only to find i had it the wrong way round
      Now you know which way to use it you should have no problem doing the main one

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

craney33 (02-06-11)

craney33 is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

lol yea only way you learn is by mucking up as they say . I have just read the instructions for the XTF-85 filtered faceplate and it states that i need to strip the wire's that are coming from my external master as they will be connecting to the screw down connecters is that right? The wires in the terminals on the standard socket at the mo seem to already be stripped would it be ok to screw down onto the already stripped wire? the only slight issue with that is when i try and untwist the pair from termnal 2 the ends tend to just break off

Thanks

As long as you have plenty of wire to spare and you appear to have plenty, cut the part that has been used off and strip a new section. The best way I find is to strip about 5-8mm, bend this into a 'U' shape and clip this under the screw plate. Have a good look at the plate when it arrives, just to be sure the spec has not changed to IDC on both sides. Don't worry about the ends breaking off as you untwist them, in fact you could just cut the twist off instead of trying to unwind it. You have plenty of wire to spare.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks again mate, its just turned up and looking at it there definatly screw down terminals for the main wires labled line 5 NC & line 2 followed on the other side by ext 5 ext 3 and ext 2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As for untwisting im guessing standard wire cutters will be just fine for that. (diy is really not my strong point can you tell .

Thanks

That's fine. Now you are good to go, if you have sorted out the incoming wires. It looks like you just have to strip off about 5mm of insulation and push it into the hole under the securing plate, (I assume there will be a plate under the screw) you will not be able to make a U with this type of connector. If you are still nervous, connect the incoming side first and check for dial tone. Then connect the extensions.

TomD

Useful Utilites

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

craney13 (02-06-11)

Router:
      Thanks

I haven't had time to sort the wires out on that socket yet but i plan to give it ago this evening. As for the screw downs there is a plate like you said so just need to make sure i dont over tighten them and snap the ends . Whats the best way to strip the wire 5mm? Also once i have found which wire from the pair on terminal 2 gets a dial tone i put that into line 2 on the filtered plate then how do i find out which wire pair from terminal 5 i need to attach to line 5 on the filtered plate or can i just put either one in?

Im gonna be so happy once i manage to do this lol, thanks again for all your help id have no hope if it wernt for you and the others that have helped me out here in this thread

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

When you put 2 in you will put in 5 from the same wire. This will be the remaining of the pair and should be easy to identify.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

craney13 (02-06-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks exdee, its just hard to make out which wires from 2&5 are the same cable as there are lots of other green and brown coloured wires wrapped round them

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I see. Make sure you test your broadband before connecting the extensions. If you get the wrong wire in Line 5 your broadband won't work. If that happens you just try the other one.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast