Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate?

This is a discussion on Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just one small point the filter linked by Exdee is what you want but make sure you get the XTF-85 ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Whats the wire in terminal 4 on my faceplate?

Just one small point the filter linked by Exdee is what you want but make sure you get the XTF-85 which will fit your existing box. The 68 is for a smaller type line box, usually surface mounted. For some reason although ADSLNation mention them, they are not on the buying list. You would have to call them and ask if they have them available or get one from BBB, who do have them listed -
      SPECIFICATIONS | ADSLNation XTF-85 Professional Quality 85mm Filtered Telephone Socket

You will find that one of your sockets only has one cable running into it, this is the last one on the chain. Logically the socket nearest the XNTE would be the 'master', but things are not always done logically. All you can do is follow Exdee's instructions

You can also remove the wire on terminal 4, this is for when a PBX is used and is not requited in a domestic circuit. It has probably been connected for tidiness.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

craney13 (31-05-11)

3. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Well spotted Isitme.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

craney13 (31-05-11)

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

wow thanks again for your inputs exdee & IsItme thats helped me out loads. I will remove the wires from terminal 2,4&5 from my hallway socket and see if it stops all the others from working and if it does thats where i will stick my new faceplate you kindly linked for me . Just before i purchase one these are the sockets i have around my house

By craney at 2011-05-12

The one you kindly linked above from BB seems to be quite a big box rather than an actual faceplate so not sure if it will actually fit as the socket is not very deep, what do you think?

I have never really played around with phone wires b4 so your have to forgive me for asking daft questions lol, i just dont wanna mess anything up, from what i can see an IDC tool doesn't look to hard to use. When i connect the new filtered faceplate do i just need to connect wires 2 & 5 to the terminals 2 & 5 on the new filtered faceplate and thats it? And if i read correctly once a filtered faceplate is installed that will stop all the other sockets from being able to connect to my router to but will still allow voice?

Thanks so much again guys
      Last edited by craney13; 31-05-11 at 03:33 AM.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

It's 3.3 inches x 3.3 inches and that seems to be the size of your existing socket. You will find it slightly raised (fatter) then your existing socket but it should fit fine.

On the filtered faceplate you will connect the wire from the external NTE to the terminals marked 'Line 2' and 'Line 5'. The wire going to the other extensions will need to be connected to the terminals marked 'Ext 2' and 'Ext 5'.

Installing the filtered faceplate will stop your router from working at all your other sockets at they will have the voice signal only which can be used for phones, faxes and sky boxes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

craney13 (31-05-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks again matey,

Where you state

"Open up the socket 'A'. You will see two wires connected to the back of the socket. Removing one of these wires (both pairs) from 'A' will either result in"

- All your sockets including 'A' stop working.
      - All your sockets excluding 'A' stop working.

Im just a little confused to what you mean by the 2 wires and only removing 1 (both pairs)? There's 2 blue and white cables connected to the socket faceplate in terminal 2 & 5 thats all there is. By removing both cables nothing will then be connected to the faceplate.

In this piccy there are 2 grey cables but the 2 blue and white wires connecting to the terminals both seem to come from the same grey cable. The other cable seems to have grey and brown wires but nothing isconnected to the faceplate

By craney at 2011-05-12

Sorry if im confusing you lol i know i must sound kinda stupid
      Last edited by craney13; 31-05-11 at 06:33 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Chances are the sockets inside the flat will be daisy chained, so the first one will have two main grey cables (with multicore wires) these are in from the outside NTE and then out to the next socket.

The second socket will also have two main grey cables, "in" from the first socket and then "out" to the next and so on, when you get to the last socket there will only be one grey wire (because it is not going out to another one).

Chances are, the socket nearest the outside NTE will be the first one and should be where the new Master is fitted.

To test this, disconnect the wires from the back of this socket (remember which coulours went where, take a piccy), all the sockets in the flat should then be dead, then put two of the wires back in and test that socket, if it is working then you have found the main input cable, if not then try the other two.

Once you have established the correct cable to use you should have only that socket working, get the stats from it, this should be the best connection you can get.

If you can live with it like this with only the one socket working then just tuck the wires back in (for future use) and refit the faceplate, job done, youcan then order a filtered faceplate and when it arrives fit it and connect up the rest of the sockets without worrying that your speed will decrease again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Smithy99 For This Useful Post:

craney33 (31-05-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks so much for that mate, i have been really blind and stupid!! I have just opened up the socket and realized like exdee explained there are indeed 2 pairs of blue and white wires connecting into terminal 2 and 5. I thought it was actually only one wire in the terminal but after looking more closely at it i can clearly now see 2! I have another orange wire connected to terminal 4 which from what i understand i can remove.

The one thing i would just like to ask before i remove both pairs from terminal 2 and 5 is that how do i know what wire from terminal 5 matches with the wire in teminal 2? If i read correctly when i re-plug 1 pair into 2 & 5 and the socket and all the other 5 sockets dont work that means i have plugged in the extension cable and if i swap the pairs around and leave the extension pair out the socket and find it then works that will be the pair connected directly to the external master yea? Which then leads me onto the filtered faceplate, when this arrives am i right in saying i would disconnect the pair from the faceplate and put them onto the terminals labled a & b on the new plate and the extension wires i left out would then go into terminal pont 2 & 5 on the filter?

thanks again guys im so grateful

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Don't worry about the thickness of the faceplate. What you will receive is the faceplate and a back box. The back box will be discarded and the faceplate fitted to your existing back box.

The XTF-86 is different from the NTE type of faceplate in that there are no A-B terminals. You will find that the incoming line connects to the 2 and 5 terminals on the back of the plate and the extensions connects to the Ex 5 and Ex 2 terminals. It is very simple once you establish what are the incoming wires.

You don't have to remove both wires when you are checking by the way, plug a phone into the faceplate, remove both wires from the number 2 terminal and reconnect one wire. If you have a dial tone that is the incoming wire, if you don't it is the other one. Check all your other sockets for dial tone when you have both wires removed just to be sure you have the first on the chain.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

craney33 (31-05-11)

craney33 is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme for that, im just in the process of taking both the terminal 2 wires out but they seem to be "attached" at the end by there copper tails. Do i have to unreal the copper ends from each other so they become seperate wires?

thanks again

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Yes, just untwist them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Smithy99 For This Useful Post:

craney33 (31-05-11)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast