Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

To strip or not to strip (not dirty, I swear)

This is a discussion on To strip or not to strip (not dirty, I swear) within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm currently in the process of replacing my master socket panel, as it is faulty. I have a new panel, ...

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

To strip or not to strip (not dirty, I swear)

I'm currently in the process of replacing my master socket panel, as it is faulty. I have a new panel, and am trying to reconnect the extension wiring to it. I have the Blue-white, orange and White-blue wires, and they are fully covered in the individual plastic sheaths apart from two tiny little notches.

My problem is that when I connect them up as they are, they are not connecting correctly and the extension does not work.

Should I strip the sheaths just enough to ensure that they connect in the 2, 3 and 5 points, or is the sheath needed for grip? I have used guides, and whilst none of them tell me to leave it alone, they also do not give any indication if it is required or not.

Also, lets say for arguments sake that I have already stripped the wires and then had to stop what I was doing, if the sheaths are needed, how do I sort it?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: To strip or not to strip (not dirty, I swear)

You shouldn't have to as the jumper points on the socket should cut through the plastic to make contact with the internal wire. If they're not tight enough it might be worth stripping them but I'd see what someone else suggests
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'd agree you should not have to. Don't put 3 back in. 2 and 5 should work fine. You could try stripping it depending on how much spare wire you have got in there.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

The faceplate uses and IDC connection. In this situation never strip the wire.

If you do not have an IDC tool, many people have suggested that you could use a plastic card instead.

Do not use a screw driver.

If you strip the wires, the three things can happen:

• possibly short with another in such a confined space
      • the connection may not be made correctly
      • the exposed wire may corrode in the air, reducing the line quality

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The faceplate uses and IDC connection. In this situation never strip the wire.

If you do not have an IDC tool, many people have suggested that you could use a plastic card instead.

Do not use a screw driver.

If you strip the wires, the three things can happen:

• possibly short with another in such a confined space
      • the connection may not be made correctly
      • the exposed wire may corrode in the air, reducing the line quality
      Ah. I see. Well then I might as well take out the hypothetical question I added at the end of my original post and make it an actual question. I have stripped the wires. All of them. My bad. How do I fix this?

Like I said though, nothing tells me not to do this, and going by my existing knowledge of wiring, stripping always makes a better connection.

I also do have an IDC tool, now. Didn't before. The tool seems rather useless though, as it only has one notch on it so I can only push down one side at a time.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Ah. I see. Well then I might as well take out the hypothetical question I added at the end of my original post and make it an actual question. I have stripped the wires. All of them. My bad. How do I fix this?

Like I said though, nothing tells me not to do this, and going by my existing knowledge of wiring, stripping always makes a better connection.

I also do have an IDC tool, now. Didn't before. The tool seems rather useless though, as it only has one notch on it so I can only push down one side at a time.
      If you can pull the cable in a little further, then all is not lost. Cut the bare wire off. Otherwise use some insulating tape to prevent any shorting.

With regards to the IDC tool doing one connection at a time, sorry but this is how they are designed.

IDC allows a better connection that soldering or screwing the wire in place. It is used heavily in the electronics industry. All metal corrodes in air at different rates. Copper & aluminium are not exceptions to this. The sharp connector cuts a little into the wire, bypassing any mild corrosion to make a clean metal-to-metal connection.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

There's a[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHy8mtW9eak&playnext=1&list=PLB5FE761D3AAE E6EE"] video here showing [/ame]how to use an IDC tool to insert the wires in an rj45 jack, a different socket, but the principle is the same.