Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please help - Sky 20mb unlimted.....without the "UN"......very limited due to wiring

This is a discussion on Please help - Sky 20mb unlimted.....without the "UN"......very limited due to wiring within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there everyone! First time poster hoping to get some help from the "Oracles" out there. Very sorry if this ...

DesperateDan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please help - Sky 20mb unlimted.....without the "UN"......very limited due to wiring

Hi there everyone!

First time poster hoping to get some help from the "Oracles" out there. Very sorry if this is a duplicate post, I went through a lot of similar posts, but I couldn't see anything exactly the same.

My sky 20mb broadband unlimited is extremely slow at a new apartment I have moved into. I know the speed is limited to things like distance from exchange, your line capacity etc. but Sky indicated that my maximum is 5mb and I am not getting anything close to that! Currently my download and streaming speeds peak at 150kbps......which is much less that I expect it too be (and need).

My test speeds are as follows:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1536 kbps 700 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.1 db
      Noise Margin 26.5 db 10.5 db

As I said, even though the download speed test says 1,5mb I get 10% of that.

I think the problem is with the wiring at the main BT socket (see the photos attached). You can see that I have two cables coming from the wall. One with four pairs of wiring (not connected to anything - let's call it Cable A) and another cable with 4 pairs where the blue and blue/white wires are attached to the screws but none of the other wires (green, orange and brown) in the cable are attached to anything (Cable B).

After reading a couple of the forum posts I think I have figured out that some of the wires should be attached to pins 2 and 5. But which colours and should they be from cable A or B? And is this maybe the problem.

Sorry guys this might be a very stupid question as I am not really familiar with wiring and cables etc, but you know what they say......there is no such thing as stupid questions.....only stupid people.

Thank you in advance for the help - I really hope you can help me.

DoubleD
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help - Sky 20mb unlimted.....without the "UN"......very limited due to wiring-photo_1.jpg   Please help - Sky 20mb unlimted.....without the "UN"......very limited due to wiring-photo_3.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Please help - Sky 20mb unlimted.....without the "UN"......very limited due to wir

Where is the Micro-Filter?

You need one in EVERY telephone socket, before anything else.

You have a very high noise margin. To eliminate the wiring issue, could you plug your router (via the Micro-Filter) into the Test Socket, which is located behind the faceplate & is visible in the 2nd photo.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Please help - Sky 20mb unlimted.....without the "UN"......very limited due to wir

You need to call sky and get a line reconfiguration.

You have a great deal of room for improvement.

You should be able to get the 5Mb.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

DesperateDan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Scubbie, I have attached another photo showing the microfilter attached to the area behind the faceplate. Here is my most recent readings as well:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1536 kbps 700 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.1 db
      Noise Margin 26.4 db 10.5 db

I have phoned Sky but it didn't really help the cause. They just ran a test and said I have to check the wiring.

Thanks Again
      DD
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help - Sky 20mb unlimted.....without the "UN"......very limited due to wiring-photo4.jpg  

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You got through to an idiot. Ring again, tell them you have made changes to your wiring and require a line reconfiguration.

Your noise margin should be around 7. Ask them to uncap you.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Agree with Exdee with respect of calling again.

In the longer term I would also recommend that you consider fitting a filtered faceplate.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

That's Category X (5,5e,6 whatever) cable being used for your telephone service.
      The other three pairs are not used and shouldn't be connected to anything.

Are there any other phone sockets (working or not) in the flat?
      If so can you give details and in focus pictures of the insides.

The problem with flats is that a lot of the wiring is out of your control and view so fault finding is difficult.
      And just because it is a new flat doesn't guarantee that everything has been done correctly.

Unless it was just a transient blip Dynamic Line Management has found something on your line to set the speed so low.
      Without finding the cause you will still suffer.

Andy