Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newly wired socket interferes with Internet connection?

This is a discussion on Newly wired socket interferes with Internet connection? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I've got Sky Connect with the router and phone connected to the master socket (NTE5 I believe). As ...

liormann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Newly wired socket interferes with Internet connection?

Hi all

I've got Sky Connect with the router and phone connected to the master socket (NTE5 I believe). As there is another phone socket in my bedroom, I decided to move the router there and avoid connecting wirelessly.

The socket in the bedroom was not wired, so I bought an insertion tool and connected it. I installed a microfilter on both sockets, then tested the newly wired one with the phone. Perfect signal and could make/receive calls.

When I connected the router, the Internet LED started flashing yellow. I plugged it back to the master socket, same results. I unwired the socket in the bedroom and the Internet was back on. While at it (unwiring), I noticed that the bedroom socket has a capacitor. This got me thinking: I'm no expert, but I think slave sockets don't have capacitors.

I'd be really grateful if someone could help me with this problem. I was wondering whether buying a slave socket would fix it. Or whether I need some other type of socket I'm not aware of. Or whether I should just give up and use the blooming wi-fi (which with Sky Connect can give you magnificent speeds if all you do is write your name in Google and start clapping - no Enter pressing, this will cause a page to load!)

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Newly wired socket interferes with Internet connection?

There should only be one socket with a capacitor. It sound like someone has installed an incorrect socket in your bedroom.

An alternative solution might be to use a pair of HomePlugs. You can also use these to connect an old router to the Sky router, if you need more than one LAN socket.

They are available from a range of sources, the link below is just to provide you with an idea of what they are:

Cheap Powerline from Devolo, Billion & Netgear

As for hocking up 2 routers:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

liormann (15-03-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Where are the wires connected to in your master socket? There should be one pair wired to the 2 and 5 terminals on the faceplate, with the same pair wired to the 2 and 5 terminals on the extension faceplate. Don't connect any other wires. Make sure you are using a pair, eg, blue and white and white and blue.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

liormann (15-03-11)

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Having two masters will not cause the internet to drop off. When this is working where will you need to plug a phone in? At both sockets or just the main socket?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

liormann (15-03-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Having two masters will not cause the internet to drop off. When this is working where will you need to plug a phone in? At both sockets or just the main socket?
      Hi RUNITDIRECT, I'll need to plug a phone in the master socket and the ADSL modem in the slave. I still put microfilters on both sockets though.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@isitme: hmm, didn't check the NTE5 master socket in the living room (just out of fear of wrecking it and being left with no phone, no Internet and an angry fiancee for interrupting online shopping activity!!!)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I tried today with a slave socket, problem remains.... Something interesting happened though:

Router and phone were both plugged in master socket. I removed phone to test the slave socket and the Internet went dead. I had plug the phone back in and restart the router to get Internet. I did this procedure 3 times to make sure it wasn't pure coincidence.

Somebody at work told me I have to call BT and pay them about 170 because the wiring for the slave socket needs activated etc. It sounds like a load of rubbish to me, but am I right to dismiss my colleague is the question?!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Putting the router on an extension is likely going to compound the fact you're on Connect and make your connection worse. You're better looking into powerline networking and, ultimately, a new ISP
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Router and phone were both plugged in master socket. I removed phone to test the slave socket and the Internet went dead..
      Did you remove the faceplate and try it in the Test socket. When you removed the faceplate did you check that a pair of wires was connected to 2 and 5 terminals only.

I think a photo of the wiring within the sockets might help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liormann View Post
      Hi RUNITDIRECT, I'll need to plug a phone in the master socket and the ADSL modem in the slave. I still put microfilters on both sockets though.
      OK as above can you post some pics of the wiring as it is now on both sockets? What you should really do is fit a filtered faceplate to the NTE5 (avoids plug in filter there), run CW1308 cable to where you want the router to go and wire from the A & B terminals on the faceplate to 2 & 5 on the slave. Plug a filter in & away you go. If you prefer you can use this socket at that end to avoid a plug in filter, wiring is exactly the same. If you will never need to plug a phone in where the router will go then the easiest way to do all this is a filtered faceplate & the NTE2000 extension kit. Plug & play!

As you are getting dial tone at both sockets this sounds like a cable quality issue, have you tried plugging a phone in at BOTH sockets at the SAME time?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast